Check your account email address ×

Per Fox News…. Texas installing EV chargers

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

All I'm saying is most the new programs being developed in advanced design are EV's. Rumors of even postponing the new GM truck program but still work the EV's. The new trend..... It's coming

No doubt but we will spend 10's of billions on charging stations before there is a real need for them.   Oh well its what we do in America. 

4 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

All I'm saying is most the new programs being developed in advanced design are EV's. Rumors of even postponing the new GM truck program but still work the EV's. The new trend..... It's coming

TBH, if I could get my wife to go for an EV as her daily driver, we'd probably have one by now.  She's not convinced on the range and tech... which is dumb because she never drives on the highway or goes more than 15 miles from home.

For the vast majority of suburban homeowners, at least one EV in the fleet makes total sense if you can charge it up at night.  Even if we'd only charge on 110v, an EV would fit the bill for us perfectly.

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

TBH, if I could get my wife to go for an EV as her daily driver, we'd probably have one by now.  She's not convinced on the range and tech... which is dumb because she never drives on the highway or goes more than 15 miles from home.

For the vast majority of suburban homeowners, at least one EV in the fleet makes total sense if you can charge it up at night.  Even if we'd only charge on 110v, an EV would fit the bill for us perfectly.

I drive maybe 20% of what I used to personally since the pandemic. Not sure I'll ever get back to where I was before so an EV makes a sense for me to an extent. Just not sure about pulling an enclosed trailer or boat with something like the Rivian truck just yet. Planning long road trips wont be as easy either  lol

10 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Dig a little into GM’s EV program and you’ll find it’s a lot of smoke and mirrors. I’ll be very surprised if they come though this transition period. Ford is doing fantastic as is Volkswagen. Energy density of batteries continues a steep trajectory. I don’t see the IC vehicle going away. At least not for the next 10-15 years. Who knows, there’s the possibility of a completely different technology emerging. EV’s definitely are the future though 

7 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I drive maybe 20% of what I used to personally since the pandemic. Not sure I'll ever get back to where I was before so an EV makes a sense for me to an extent. Just not sure about pulling an enclosed trailer or boat with something like the Rivian truck just yet. Planning long road trips wont be as easy either  lol

There’s a guy on YouTube that towed his boat over 200 miles and spent $7 refueling. For the vast majority of people a vehicle with a 200-280 mile range is completely satisfying 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

There’s a guy on YouTube that towed his boat over 200 miles and spent $7 refueling. For the vast majority of people a vehicle with a 200-280 mile range is completely satisfying 

For me to go snowmobiling in the UP it's 350+ miles which is why I hardly ride anymore  :lol: 

Just now, Skidooski said:

For me to go snowmobiling in the UP it's 350+ miles which is why I hardly ride anymore  :lol: 

Spending 5 hours driving over a combination of black ice and slush stopped being fun. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Highmark said:

No doubt but we will spend 10's of billions on charging stations before there is a real need for them.   Oh well its what we do in America. 

Or we'll have all these EV's purchased and no charging stations to sustain them 

23 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Or build more EV’s when there aren’t enough charging stations. Then you can whine about that. Sheesh. 

Yeah.. so reliable .. paleezzee

Ford Motor Co. is recalling nearly 50,000 Mustang Mach-Es and telling dealers to pause deliveries of the all-electric crossover due to a safety defect that could result in Pub Info power loss.

The Dearborn automaker has filed a recall notice with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration regarding an issue on some Mach-Es that can cause the vehicle's high-voltage battery main contactors  to overheat, according to the company. 

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2022/06/14/ford-recalls-nearly-50-000-mustang-mach-es-halts-deliveries/7622052001/

15 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Or we'll have all these EV's purchased and no charging stations to sustain them 

Shouldn't be the govt's responsibility to pay for them.   I'm all for putting them wherever the free market thinks they are necessary.   

7 hours ago, spin_dry said:

If I could get something that would do 200 miles with the RV on it and recharge in 20 minutes, I'd give it a very serious look.  I don't think we're as far from that as people think.  200 miles is about the max range I can get out of a tank of dino juice with the current gasser and its 26 gallon tank.  Less than that in a headwind.

Driving unloaded at those same speeds though, I can get 570 miles on that same tank.  So we're talking about an EV with likely 600 mile range assuming losses will be similar.

Edited by Matt

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Less than 1% of the 250 million cars on the road are EV.   Its a ways down the road yet. 

1% but the share of new sales double last year and is around 5%.  If it doubles again this year like it did last it will be 1 in 10 new vehicles bought will be plug-in.  It doesn’t take to many years of increasing market share before Electric becomes the dominate form of transportation.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Yeah.. so reliable .. paleezzee

Ford Motor Co. is recalling nearly 50,000 Mustang Mach-Es and telling dealers to pause deliveries of the all-electric crossover due to a safety defect that could result in Pub Info power loss.

The Dearborn automaker has filed a recall notice with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration regarding an issue on some Mach-Es that can cause the vehicle's high-voltage battery main contactors  to overheat, according to the company. 

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2022/06/14/ford-recalls-nearly-50-000-mustang-mach-es-halts-deliveries/7622052001/

Just a software update.

5 hours ago, Highmark said:

Less than 1% of the 250 million cars on the road are EV.   Its a ways down the road yet. 

They want to shove this down our throats right now and not look back, to hell with everybody that is stuck with ICE automobiles. That's why gas is at $5.00 right now. Think about these numbers:

US Auto Production is around 15 million

225,000 drivers in the US

How long will it take if all US manufacturers made nothing but EV's for everyone to get even one of these?

Edited by nascarmike

5 hours ago, Matt said:

I have thought about it for a work truck just a tough $$ pill to swallow . Add the fact the lighting only has a 5.5 foot bed a non starter . But yeah for a work truck it would be fine hell I could steal 110 power on almost every job lol I always have ext cables  running to the truck 

2 hours ago, nascarmike said:

They want to shove this down our throats right now and not look back, to hell with everybody that is stuck with ICE automobiles. That's why gas is at $5.00 right now. Think about these numbers:

US Auto Production is around 15 million

225,000 drivers in the US

How liong will it take if all US manufacturers made nothing but EV's for everyone to get even one of these?

That is fine and dandy but how long till America can make enough power to charge them all with out rolling black outs . How long till neighborhoods can get wire large enough to support a career in more than 10 garages ? Decades at best 

Just now, Ez ryder said:

That is fine and dandy but how long till America can make enough power to charge them all with out rolling black outs . How long till neighborhoods can get wire large enough to support a career in more than 10 garages ? Decades at best 

You only need 50 amps for fast charge at home.

14 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

That's the other ugly side.

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Spend an hour at your local Audi dealer looking and driving a etron GT RS...  the Technology in the product is cutting edge.

Range is around 200 miles, and top speed exceeds 150mph.

12 minutes ago, ICG said:

Spend an hour at your local Audi dealer looking and driving a etron GT RS...  the Technology in the product is cutting edge.

Range is around 200 miles, and top speed exceeds 150mph.

I prefer 500ish miles and a top speed of 174....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Snake said:

I prefer 500ish miles and a top speed of 174....

What size tank on your BMW?