Check your account email address ×

Gas Rebate

Reps. Mike Thompson, D-Calif., John Larson, D-Conn. and Lauren Underwood, D-Ill., last week introduced the Gas Rebate Act of 2022, which would send Americans a $100 per month energy rebate — and $100 for each dependent — for the rest of the year in any month where gas prices exceed $4.00 per gallon.

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2022/03/23/house-democrats-gas-rebate-ukraine-putin-russia

• Haha 1

• USA Contributing Member

A large portion of the public is working from home, if your going to do anything do a rebate right at the pump.

Stop rebating EV's, the middle class / lower class isn't buying them because they can't afford them.  Your only helping the upper middle and upper class that is going to buy them anyway.

I'm all for reducing taxes but shit like this is stupid.  Help the people that are actually getting hurt because we lack energy independence. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, X2700 said:

But really just give us cheaper prices at the pump!!

like someone stated how many don’t use gas or vary little?

then give ev guys rebate?

fucking government!!

Right,

Again why not just stop the gas tax for a while?  NAH, they want that money coming in.

Yeah keep shovel cash out the door to make dam sure inflation nev slowes . 

If we keep it up we will be able to settle the US debt with a case of twinkies 

Edited by Ez ryder

F'ing morons can't see the forest through the trees (those that are proposing this handout).  Like others here are saying ... and elsewhere ... just eliminate the freaking gas tax!! :wall:

• Platinum Contributing Member

Its completely obvious that both parties (the dems are worse) simply do not comprehend simple economics and the causes of inflation.

Oh inflation is high....let's hand out more printed money.  :wall:

• Like 1

And the Gov for the great state of Michigan wants to shut down another pipeline - yeah great idea Gretch....

Energy is Freedom - without affordable energy our freedoms are being slowly gas lit away. 

How long before the low end transporters say "Screw it, I can't make money at this price point"?  What are the sit at home people ordering goods going to say when their precious little on-line orders take longer than a day to deliver??  

1 hour ago, $poorsledder$ said:

A large portion of the public is working from home, if your going to do anything do a rebate right at the pump.

Stop rebating EV's, the middle class / lower class isn't buying them because they can't afford them.  Your only helping the upper middle and upper class that is going to buy them anyway.

I'm all for reducing taxes but shit like this is stupid.  Help the people that are actually getting hurt because we lack energy independence. 

if anything we need to surcharge them for the lack of fuel taxes that is the primary funder for road repair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This will just turn into another welfare program.  The payments get phased out by income anyways, just like the stimulus payment did.

The rebate follows the same format as the most recent COVID stimulus payments, also known as Economic Impact Payments: Single filers earning less than $75,000 would get the full $100, phased out at $80,000; Joint filers making less than $150,000 annually would also get $100, phasing out at $160,000.

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

retarded.   last thing we need is these feel good measures.  lets actually cut government spending.  

We certainly have a spending problem and by we I mean those of us spending an elevated amount on gas.  I personally like that this would help offset my spending problem by making it someone else’s spending problem.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

if anything we need to surcharge them for the lack of fuel taxes that is the primary funder for road repair

Down the road when a large part of the population is driving "green" vehicles they will raise taxes on electricity to make up the difference.  Then they will push windmills and panels on your house as an alternative to "fossil fuel" electricity.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

Yeah but cut the gas tax and all you fuckin government haters would be cheering.

And the difference is………..come on morons tell me…..

Your BIL gave you all you have, the way you think how things should be because you were taken care of all your life is part of the problem.

Just now, $poorsledder$ said:

Your BIL gave you all you have, the way you think how things should be because you were taken care of all your life is part of the problem.

Explain how that is? I gotta hear this story……go ahead.

23 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

I've yet to have any answers yet on how states are dealing with this.  So far you and I are the only ones who've i've seen bring this issue up.  I think here it's 50-60 cents/gallon we pay.  Do any states not have a gas tax for roads?

Edited by hayward

• Platinum Contributing Member
38 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Yeah but cut the gas tax and all you fuckin government haters would be cheering.

And the difference is………..come on morons tell me…..

The difference is those affected by high fuel prices would get a break. Instead of blanket spending