Check your account email address ×

How many people do you personally know that are harboring adult aged children at home?

• Platinum Contributing Member

Two that live at home but both have good jobs. 

I don't think there is any harm living at home (up to a point) but the lack of working in today's job market is ridiculous.  

Ellen: “Well, he’s been out of work for close to seven years.”

Clark: “In seven years, he couldn’t find a job?”

Ellen: “Catherine says he’s been holding out for a management position.”

Edited by Highmark
  • Haha 1

My son is 20 but still in college (his last year) and has spoken that he'd like his own place soon or as soon as college is over when and if he lands a decent job.

Times have changed and if people can't see that then they're as blind as can be. Kicking a kid out of the house at 18 this day and age is way way different than what it was 20-30 yrs ago. 

I know of one and the kid is 46!! no drivers license (not suspended just to lazy to get it) no job, and has 1 kid who is in her early 20's who is out on her own..lol..But the parents just enable him to be the way he is, give him rides where ever he needs to go, buys him food, booze, and cigs..

• Sad 1

One, was on heroin, then was ordered by a judge to go to the clinic to be administered narcan for 18 months.  Moved in with his parents and been on that over 10 years now.  10 fucking years.  Those guys really know a cash cow when they see one.

Edited by racer254
  • Confused 1

Correction, I know of one other, a girlfriend Mid 30's, who talked to her parents about selling her house this spring, which she did, house was paid for, she bought for 108k, sold it for 189k moved in with her parents for a year or so till the house market chills out and she can scoop something up for a good deal. She works full time and always has, it's was more of a financial decision for her to profit a nice hunk of coin and get something better..Her parents in no way are taking care of her because she is a loser or down and out or anything like that

7 minutes ago, racer254 said:

One, was on heroin, then was ordered by a judge to go to the clinic to be administered narcan for 18 months.  Moved in with his parents and been on that over 10 years now.  10 fucking years.  Those guys really know a cash cow when they see one.

You mean methadone. Also, a judge can’t order opiate replacement therapy. 

13 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

You mean methadone. Also, a judge can’t order opiate replacement therapy. 

Yep, I guess it was methadone and the judge ordered 18 months on it so he could get full custody of his child.  So yes a judge can order it in a round-a-bout way, but you already know that.  Don't act dumb, you know judges do this. 

A niece of mine, who is a CPA, making well into the 6 figures, staying with my kids mom for the last two years, because she is afraid of Covid - She's 28 and my kids couldn't even go to their moms for Christmas last year, because they might bring the Covid.  Insanity at its finest.

Edited by Mag6240

29 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

It’s like the old days with extended families being at home. 

Not really . None of my personal friends have adult kids at home.  Every one I know made there kids start working as soon as they got in to HS . 

I have a few customers who have shitbag adults living at home . But again there are people who never made there kids work from birth to end of a 4 or 6yr degree . Now they reap what they sew 

3 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Yep, I guess it was methadone and the judge ordered 18 months on it so he could get full custody of his child.  So yes a judge can order it in a round-a-bout way, but you already know that.  Don't act dumb, you know judges do this. 

Please explain this “round about way”. 

I'm not opposed to kids living at home (up to a point) as long as they are not deadbeats.   

Parents are enablers when it comes to everything from drug/alcohol addiction to lack of work ethic. 

• Like 1

Two great kids , both out of the house. 
I love my kids, but never understood the boo-hooing about them leaving home.  We had kids , when we were kids.Been on my own since 17.  Loving it now with the house to ourselves. 

51 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

When I was 18 I was working and got the fuck out of the house as quickly as possible.  

But that was long ago... 

This. 
My dad said ..you live under my roof, my rules. Don’t like it , theres the door. 
Okay, see yah. 
worked out good as far as our relationship. Same with my son. Since he moved out we are closer than ever.