Check your account email address ×

'bridging bumps'

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

Hmmm, Cat riders I ride with are the ones I wait for the most. 

Exactly,  us cat guys just can't hang with the boys. The biggest thing for me is my home riding area tends to be kinda busy and there is always a d bag coming your way in the middle or your side.

One of the local D bags ran a 67yr old guy off the trail in front of me.  I was first up on him.  Broke 6 bones, tore a bunch of stuff and was wrecked.  I helped him get to the hospital and took care of getting his sled out.  Sucks seeing shit like that.  I ride with my right ski off the trail on the right side in the corners.  Still nearly get clipped a few times a year.  Those corners define the speed you can go more than the sled.  Just like the throttle is what bridges bumps, not the suspension length.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fortune46x said:

nevermind the fact that (in cats case anyways) the 137 and the 129 have different geometery that can contribute to the different feel of the skid. 

I didn't get near the seat time on my 19 as I did the 17 but damn, it was a totally different feel all the way around.  People that say they can't feel any difference between a 129 and 137...well, I don't know what to say I guess.  I noticed the difference in feel almost immediately.

27 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I didn't get near the seat time on my 19 as I did the 17 but damn, it was a totally different feel all the way around.  People that say they can't feel any difference between a 129 and 137...well, I don't know what to say I guess.  I noticed the difference in feel almost immediately.

In the SX sleds its even more amplified, turning has a completely different feel to it vs the 129, when polaris changed their track length they had riders going back to the year previous sled to run the shorter skid on the tight tracks . 

When I think of "bridging bumps" I think of basically scooting over the tops from one to the next, at a very good clip.

As for the 137 bridging bumps, I don't know.  I've always been on a 136/7 for a little better storage capabilities for backpack trips.  Other than that, it all comes down to the rider.

2 hours ago, fortune46x said:

nevermind the fact that (in cats case anyways) the 137 and the 129 have different geometry that can contribute to the different feel of the skid. 

That is a huge factor. (with the cat skids) It is not an apples to apples comparison.  I have both and swap back between them often.  It is hard to believe that they are so close in length.  The difference feels dramatic.

The 137 is relatively easy to sit and ride because it doesn't do anything with much drama.(It does run relatively flat.)  I've also run longer skids in the same chassis and they have more feedback action than the 137.  The Cat rear arm is back quite a bit on the 137 skid.  That makes it harder to squat the back and coupling acts quite different.  I've pulled the 137 blocks and it still has less front end lift than the 129 with blocks.

Bump style also has a lot to do with how the skids handle terrain.  The flat, boring skid will ride foot high stutters fairly well at speed.(scooting over the tops)  Get into the bucking bronc stuff and the shorter skid with action will work better with the gas. 

I do like the extra tunnel storage on the longer skid.  I also have to be careful.  Longer tunnels break easier.  I probably choose the longer skid 90% of the time when I have both options.  It has less drama, but it is relatively easy to cruise.  The other 10% choice is for dinking around and trails beat to crap with big bombs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fortune46x said:

In the SX sleds its even more amplified, turning has a completely different feel to it vs the 129, when polaris changed their track length they had riders going back to the year previous sled to run the shorter skid on the tight tracks . 

Oh, I couldn't wait to make that thing my trail slayer!  Holy shit.  It was so much better handling than my 17, it literally felt like it was a different brand....and I loved my 17

On 5/2/2021 at 3:19 PM, Crnr2Crnr said:

but if you're going, let's say 35mph on a 129 or 137 and holding the throttle somewhat steady while going over 1ft'ers... it likely doesn't matter, right?

Who wants to get there ass kicked at 35mph over 1ft rollers fuck that no less than 65 . That is the only way they are tolerable.  Even then I am on satellite looking for any way thrugh the woods to avoid the shit show . 

Back in 02 to like 07 it made a diff no diff now . Even my 155 makes zero diff now with all the 136 to 146 being the norm . In fact now you may be better off on a 121 again . Now straight line tracking with out studs zero question the long track wins every lug in the snow matters 

On 5/3/2021 at 7:08 AM, Deephaven said:

I would rather trail ride my 144 than a 121.  I hate spinning.  If you can't hook up there isn't enough track to make the ride fun.  On trail cornering speed is limited solely by vision so I don't understand the shorties at all.  The 144 is a fair amount of work and with a 1.75 a 136/7 can hook up as well as my 144 so my next machine will be coupled and a bit shorter.

Because a 121 is still fun as shit to hang sideways around the corners . That said I will never buy another.  But never turn down the opertunity to slide a buds around for a bit 

I extended my IQR to 136 from 121 using 8" rear wheels so it wasn't even a true 136, but it did ride a  better no doubt, the change is due to the leverage against the swing arms more than bridging the bumps. I did need to tighten the front limiter to make it turn near the same as it did when it was 121.  If you have ever tried to loosen a bolt with a wrench and couldn't until you used a longer one, it is the same principal that extra few inches of rail length uses against the swing arms.

On 5/4/2021 at 8:50 AM, Deephaven said:

Lame as fuck is someone who needs a short track to take corners quickly.  If you can't outride your eyes on a 144 you are slow as fuck.  As for other people to ride with, it isn't that I am riding with guys with no experience.  Outside of one of my riding buddies, who is amusingly the fastest, the rest have over 50,000mi of experience and are far from slow.

Hmmm, Cat riders I ride with are the ones I wait for the most. 

Of course not, but that farce isn't as absurd as the cornering one.

Maybe you need glasses to see better?

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

I have 20/15 vision.  Trails are tight and they alone determine the top speed you can go.

Exactly.  Only a few places where I like ride that hitting 60+ becomes a problem risking bodily injury. And if not...it's just a lame stretch where I usually just one arm it and rest.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Exactly.  Only a few places where I like ride that hitting 60+ becomes a problem risking bodily injury. And if not...it's just a lame stretch where I usually just one arm it and rest.

I agree, I'm pretty sure we ride the same areas. The way he talks about tight trails i figured they were little goat paths 

1 hour ago, Cat45 said:

I agree, I'm pretty sure we ride the same areas. The way he talks about tight trails i figured they were little goat paths 

They are far from goat paths but 30-60, up and down all day is what they are about.  If you do usually find a stretch that will let you pinch it.....it's so "whooped up" you'd have to be a retard to try it.  

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

They are far from goat paths but 30-60, up and down all day is what they are about.  If you do usually find a stretch that will let you pinch it.....it's so "whooped up" you'd have to be a retard to try it.  

Yeah it gets rough up there, the trails have definitely gotten tighter over the years. Buy the way, someone else hit your water main at culvers this winter. Watched a snocross wanna bee hit it and go over the bars on an older polaris iq

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cat45 said:

Yeah it gets rough up there, the trails have definitely gotten tighter over the years. Buy the way, someone else hit your water main at culvers this winter. Watched a snocross wanna bee hit it and go over the bars on an older polaris iq

Yeah....if he thinks Culver's is gonna pay him for the show, he's wasting his time.  They ain't paying for damages either!  Cheap bastids!

Fine start.JPG

Water meter.JPG

368 (2).JPG

1 hour ago, Cat45 said:

i woulda bought him a burger if he would've stopped lol he got up picked up his broken visor dusted off his helmet mohawk and took off

My "show" was a bit more severe.  I'd say I was lucky enough to limp it home 40 miles but, it was just more sadomasochistic.

• Haha 1