Check your account email address ×

Low flying military aircraft over eastern Iowa last night.

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

They did B58 Hustlers over where I lived as a kid, when the planes visible vapor trail was almost gone in the Horizon the Sonic Boom would happen, scared the crap out of some folks.

What a sight those must have been. Those Hustlers were so bad ass looking. 

8 minutes ago, Crowder said:

What a sight those must have been. Those Hustlers were so bad ass looking. 

Delta winged. We couldn't really see them at the height they flew at, just looked like a flying dot with a long vapor trail.

4 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Delta winged. We couldn't really see them at the height they flew at, just looked like a flying dot with a long vapor trail.

My dad took me to an air show as kid while living in Missouri. SAC flew in two B58’s from Little Rock AFB. It was “67 or “68. The hustlers were coming to the end of their time. I remember them being one of the most beautiful and loud planes I’d ever seen. That memory is still etched. They weren’t ever a very good plane, but definite works of art. 

5 hours ago, ckf said:

We have them in the White Mountains National Forest quite often. I used to love seeing the A 10's train in the mountains.

No shit. I was driving up 93 right at the Tripoli Rd exit and 2 A-10's come over the ridge from the East and dropped down right in front of me down towards the river and head south low level. Very cool!

Edited by J. Jackson
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

No shit. I was driving up 93 right at the Tripoli Rd exit and 2 A-10's come over the ridge from the East and dropped down right in front of me down towards the river and head south low level. Very cool!

I grew up in Tamworth, NH which is right on the southern end of the WMNF. I've seen a lot of flights over the years.  My old snowmobile club had trails bordering, and also in the National Forest. We occasionally got to see them in the fall when on work parties.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 hours ago, ckf said:

I grew up in Tamworth, NH which is right on the southern end of the WMNF. I've seen a lot of flights over the years.  My old snowmobile club had trails bordering, and also in the National Forest. We occasionally got to see them in the fall when on work parties.

yep,Pretty common up here in NH. I’ve looked down on A10s more than once while hiking. Last summer a group of 5 C130s came through Franconia notch crazy low. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ckf said:

Yup. My town is next door to CKF’s old town.  Anyway, they still do it and it’s about once a month - some months they skip - that they do this.

I agree with the other gentleman that they are A10’s. Wahrthogs sp?)

They fly over us for a good 1/2 hr. Sometimes more. Because of our terrain (woods and mtns) it’s hard to get a glimpse during the workday. They don’t fly over during weekends when you may be out and about.

Back when Loring Air Force Base was still open, my cousin would fly over our podunk town low and 'announce his arrival to Maine'.

His father, my uncle, was a F86A Sabre pilot.....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Crotch Lickmeoff said:

I work beside the airport in Winnipeg and multiple times some sort of fighter jets take off and land there ....fucking crazy loud lol. And every few days there's a military Hercules that's flying around 

We get them flying over our park almost on a daily basis in the summer. They leave Trenton AFB and fly north east to Bancroft and back as part of their training exercise. Last year, they were practicing evasive maneuvers and the like which was also pretty cool to watch. At one point, when I didn't realize this is what they were doing as they normally just fly straight over and back, I swore one was going to crash when he dipped down below the tree line at about a 45 degree angle. :shocked:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, irv said:

We get them flying over our park almost on a daily basis in the summer. They leave Trenton AFB and fly north east to Bancroft and back as part of their training exercise. Last year, they were practicing evasive maneuvers and the like which was also pretty cool to watch. At one point, when I didn't realize this is what they were doing as they normally just fly straight over and back, I swore one was going to crash when he dipped down below the tree line at about a 45 degree angle. :shocked:

If people have never been to a quality military airshow, they should attend.  Our craft are fucking unreal amazing.  I've seen first hand what many can do and have talked to the pilots of these machines of war and I gotta tell ya.....both are just plain impressive as fuck. I ran with a Naval guy for a while that actually went to Top Gun and had a stupid amount of carrier time.  Smart and funny as fuck....with the equal amounts of crazy to boot. 

Weird trivia:  Apparently, Navy flyboys hate the movie "Top Gun" and are "gigged" anytime they mention the movie or quote from it.  :dunno:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Yeah, every so often those same jets come few 100's feet above the deck over the National Forest here, I love seeing it.

There's been alot of low altitude activity up here this week too. I figure they are flying bsck and forth across the bayfield peninsula from duluth to the base in Michigan 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

My grandmother lived in the approach to westover mass when it was a SAC base, shit would fall off shelves when B52s came in. Loud as fuck too

Yup.  Mass Pike passes right by, love watching those big ass C5'a (?) flying over.  They're so big it looks like they're hardly moving.  One time I was driving by as a fighter jet took off, and just went straight up.  Crazy impressive.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Snake said:

Back when Loring Air Force Base was still open, my cousin would fly over our podunk town low and 'announce his arrival to Maine'.

His father, my uncle, was a F86A Sabre pilot.....

When I was a kid the F 86 & F 100 were my favorite, we had F 89 Scorpions flying over my family home every day back then, out of Billy Mitchell field.

6 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Yup.  Mass Pike passes right by, love watching those big ass C5'a (?) flying over.  They're so big it looks like they're hardly moving.  One time I was driving by as a fighter jet took off, and just went straight up.  Crazy impressive.

2nd. largest cargo plane ever built, Russia has the largest one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

When I was a kid the F 86 & F 100 were my favorite, we had F 89 Scorpions flying over my family home every day back then, out of Billy Mitchell field.

Yeah, he got knocked out of the sky in Korea, spent a lot of time in a camp.

Bad stories I tell ya...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Snake said:

Yeah, he got knocked out of the sky in Korea, spent a lot of time in a camp.

Bad stories I tell ya...

Don't know if it's still there but at Mitchell Field they had a B-25 Mitchell Bomber on a Pedestal at the Field entrance.

N.A. F-86A-5 Sabre USAF FU-236 ,C/N 91236, 336th, 4th FIG, one of the aircraft flew 
by Lt Col Bruce Hinton at Korea ,Dec.1950.
Transfered to the 334th FIS FU-236 was shot down by the MiG-15 of Dmitri A. Samoylov(523 IAP, 303 IAD) 
the 24th Oct, 1951.The pilot, Fred Wicks was captured. In the same mission Samoylov had destroyed 
also the F-86E FU-682 of the 336th FIS(Pilot Bradley Irish was also captured).No MiG were destroyed this
day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

N.A. F-86A-5 Sabre USAF FU-236 ,C/N 91236, 336th, 4th FIG, one of the aircraft flew 
by Lt Col Bruce Hinton at Korea ,Dec.1950.
Transfered to the 334th FIS FU-236 was shot down by the MiG-15 of Dmitri A. Samoylov(523 IAP, 303 IAD) 
the 24th Oct, 1951.The pilot, Fred Wicks was captured. In the same mission Samoylov had destroyed 
also the F-86E FU-682 of the 336th FIS(Pilot Bradley Irish was also captured).No MiG were destroyed this
day.

Sorry, thought you meant B. Mitchell in a previous post.