Low flying military aircraft over eastern Iowa last night.

2 hours ago, Snake said:

About 8 or 9 years ago, he dressed up in his dress uniform, put a gun in his mouth and killed himself.

Eeesh.  Ceremonial suicides are perplexing to me.  

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

Anyone know why?

This is the real riddle for many suicides.

Just now, Zambroski said:

Eeesh.  Ceremonial suicides are perplexing to me.  

This is the real riddle for many suicides.

Yes, including my wife's oldest son Louis who did the same thing, no one knows why.

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

Yes, including my wife's oldest son Louis who did the same thing, no one knows why.

We were friends with a nice family years ago  The husband/father had mental issues apparently but nobody realized how bad.  One night, after dinner with his family, he took his normal walk out back in the woods along a trail.  Daughters found him hanging from a tree hours later.  Nobody had a clue that was going to happen.  It's just weird...and about as selfish and gross as it gets but, when one's wires are crossed in their brains, they don't think of it like that  I think the awareness of hurt to others just disappears all together.

• Like 1

It was three years ago I had a sled lock up on me on the north shore state trail up the hill from Silver Bay.  It was dark and my buds just kept going (that’s another story).  So after about a half hour I started calling other people who I knew were on their way up north to tell them that I was stranded on the trail.  
During one phone call, the guy on the other end asked what the hell all the noise was as he couldn’t hear me.  Turns out it was jets flying over me extremely low!  After I figured out what they were apparently doing, probably using my heat as a fly over target, it was quite entertaining.  I mean, they were what seemed like a few hundred feet over my head.  Zoomed out over Lake Superior, did a 180 and flew right back over my head!  It was super cool to watch for about another half hour..... then I decided to pull the rope and the damn thing started and ran on one cylinder and down the hill I went into Silver Bay..... Something you don’t get to experience without some form of a failure on the trail!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

It was three years ago I had a sled lock up on me on the north shore state trail up the hill from Silver Bay.  It was dark and my buds just kept going (that’s another story).  So after about a half hour I started calling other people who I knew were on their way up north to tell them that I was stranded on the trail.  
During one phone call, the guy on the other end asked what the hell all the noise was as he couldn’t hear me.  Turns out it was jets flying over me extremely low!  After I figured out what they were apparently doing, probably using my heat as a fly over target, it was quite entertaining.  I mean, they were what seemed like a few hundred feet over my head.  Zoomed out over Lake Superior, did a 180 and flew right back over my head!  It was super cool to watch for about another half hour..... then I decided to pull the rope and the damn thing started and ran on one cylinder and down the hill I went into Silver Bay..... Something you don’t get to experience without some form of a failure on the trail!

You sat there for a half hour without him turning back for you?  Did they know you were buddies and riding together at the time?  :lol:

12 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

You sat there for a half hour without him turning back for you?  Did they know you were buddies and riding together at the time?  :lol:

Yes - They (3 of them) rode 42 miles back to the Two Harbors spur trail before realizing I wasn’t back there - It was only 10 below zero..... :groin:

Edited by Mag6240

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 4/23/2021 at 12:18 PM, Zambroski said:

Flyboys get funny every now and then and go below legal hard deck to blast the civilians.  Fuckers.  I lived close enough to the ANG in Duluth and every so often one or two of those cocksucker would hit their afterburners below 200 feet and literally shake the ground.  They think it's just funny as hell.  I bet it scares the fuck out of people that don't know what it is.  It sounds and feels like the earth is collapsing in on you.

Was riding ny one winter near ft drum. 2 buzzed us at a couple hundred ft. " hey , anyone got a napkin "

2 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Was riding ny one winter near ft drum. 2 buzzed us at a couple hundred ft. " hey , anyone got a napkin "

I've never been in an earthquake but, I can assume a couple of fighters hitting their afterburners at a couple hundred feet over your head is as close as I'm gonna get......with A LOT more noise.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 3:56 PM, ckf said:

We have them in the White Mountains National Forest quite often. I used to love seeing the A 10's train in the mountains.

Happening right now overhead big time !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Get the camera out ! We want some pics.

I've only seen them a few times and they fly overhead for about 20min-40 minutes once a month. Sometimes they skip a month. We are in deep forest at the base of a mountain.  So trying to get a glimpse is standard, getting a glimpse is near impossible. Probably only seen them 2-3 times (for a mini second) in over 20 yrs ? Lolololol

If they did it on weekends when we are out in boats on the lake, would be easier, but they don't train on the week-ends.

I'm near the water (200yds) and 2 miles from the base of the mtn they keep showing in this vid.

Edited by CFM
  • Like 1