Check your account email address ×

Wrenching on Vehicles

So I am going to pull the steering rack out of my other half's 2004 Forester on Friday. It is leaking from the top where the input shaft is. I have a seal kit and I am probably going to attempt to change the seals. Has anyone ever done this before? I cannot find any info online for this particular job. 

20210410_152021.jpg

21 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Find the factory service manual before you attempt a job like that.  Hopefully you don't have to do it laying on your back in the driveway.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.php?18087-Subaru-Factory-Service-Manuals-(FSM)-Every-Model-USDM-EU

A service manual was a good idea. Unfortunately it lists all kinds of special tools that I don't have at all lmao.

I called a local shop that specializes in steering racks and they said they don't do small stuff very often and it would probably cost to much to get them to look at it.

Yup, on the ground. I will be pulling the whole rack out and working off a table though.

8 minutes ago, Legend said:

Id pull it out and see if I could pull seal out. Shouldn't be terrible to pull a seal like that and install a new one. But I cant say for sure.

Most people would just throw a new rack in...

On a 2004 I would do a new rack for a couple hundred bucks.  They come with new tie rods and boots ready to bolt right in.

22 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Ugh, reading the manual and all the special tools required makes me want to abort mission lol.

Are the special tools actually required or just make the job easier?  I can't imagine there is too much to holding in a rack on a Subaru.  Lots of times the special tools really aren't needed for the backyard mechanic.

• Gold Member

I’ve never rebuilt one. I’ve changed them as a assembly. I found a real good link but it’s for a legacy probably very similar though. I’d personally just find a low mileage junkyard assembly or pony up for a oem new.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nlnYUjx_TvJvtbzorMoIWHBv24T7WUMi/view

Edited by 800renegaderider

32 minutes ago, Legend said:

Id pull it out and see if I could pull seal out. Shouldn't be terrible to pull a seal like that and install a new one. But I cant say for sure.

Most people would just throw a new rack in...

I would much rather put a new rack in. Unfortunately this is pretty much the only part on this entire vehicle that isn't a straight swap from JDM to usdm. 

I have found that 2002-2004 WRX/STI Impreza racks are a direct swap with the added bonus of a tighter steering ratio. I am hoping that someone has one of those available.

I know in theory that it should be just simple oil seals but here is the "by the book way" of doing it.

Screenshot_20210421-204521.png

Screenshot_20210421-204559.png

Screenshot_20210421-204619.png

Screenshot_20210421-204625.png

Screenshot_20210421-204639.png

Screenshot_20210421-204645.png

Screenshot_20210421-204653.png

Screenshot_20210421-204658.png

Screenshot_20210421-204550.png

Edited by Tomas.

I am not one to shy away from working on my own stuff. Last weekend I did a timing belt and water pump on the Forester. 

• Like 1

What is people's opinion of using a stop leak for now till I can find a rack? Will it ruin all the other seals and I will be replacing the whole system?

8 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

What is people's opinion of using a stop leak for now till I can find a rack? Will it ruin all the other seals and I will be replacing the whole system?

I wouldn't, just going to make a mess with stop leak.  Just add fluid if you need to.  If it is leaking worse than that park it until you can get it fixed.

1 hour ago, 800renegaderider said:

I’ve never rebuilt one. I’ve changed them as a assembly. I found a real good link but it’s for a legacy probably very similar though. I’d personally just find a low mileage junkyard assembly or pony up for a oem new.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nlnYUjx_TvJvtbzorMoIWHBv24T7WUMi/view

That makes it look not too bad

It’s a Subaru. Sell the thing what she paid for it and buy one that doesn’t leak. Subaru people will pay out the ass just because it’s a Subaru. They are worse than Yamaha people. And most wont know even know to check the oil

Man, I remember doing this type of work on my own vehicles.  It's all possible with the right amount of "want to" or "need to", some decent mechanical ability and the correct tools.  Out of those, i now only have the tools.  Fuck all that noize.  I like fucking with my motorized toys but I don't even change my own oil on my cars any longer.

IMHO, Thomas, with you needing the special tools for this....and assuming they cannot be rented, I'd consider just letting a shop do the work or, what Greg said above works really well also.  But, you do seem rather mechanically inclined and that's a good thing!  I'd really take a look at the "special tools" you said you needed and see what you can do without then, try to locate them used or borrow them from a local shop if you can.

Man, I kinda miss the days of easy to work on vehicles where you could knock out a water pump, chain, belts then, knock out a full tune-up in a day....and a six pack!

7 hours ago, Tomas. said:

I used a two part fluid/sealant power steering conditioner on my Dakota which had a small leak. I siphoned out what I could, refilled it, ran it a few days and repeated, 4 months in and no more leaks. 

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Man, I kinda miss the days of easy to work on vehicles where you could knock out a water pump, chain, belts then, knock out a full tune-up in a day....and a six pack!

You have to remove motor mounts in my sons car just  to replace the trans fluid. And there’s a dipstick down there also to check the fluid level. :lol: Not on top like they used to be, down behind the motor mount.

45 minutes ago, Edmo said:

You have to remove motor mounts in my sons car just  to replace the trans fluid. And there’s a dipstick down there also to check the fluid level. :lol: Not on top like they used to be, down behind the motor mount.

Sounds like my Tundra.  No way to check or change T-fluid.  Toyota doesn’t want anybody messing with it.  I rolled under it thinking I was gonna slide some long tubes up in on it like it was a 68 firebird or some shit.  One look, I literally laughed....and off to the speed shop it went.  I’m done with that shit.

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Sounds like my Tundra.  No way to check or change T-fluid.  Toyota doesn’t want anybody messing with it.  I rolled under it thinking I was gonna slide some long tubes up in on it like it was a 68 firebird or some shit.  One look, I literally laughed....and off to the speed shop it went.  I’m done with that shit.

Most new cars have no tranny dipstick I’ve even seen some with no oil dipstick freakin Audi comes to mind.

Btw, some Audi’s don’t have an engine oil drain plug. I use my big oil extractor i have to usr for boats, but yeh, German Engineering. Lolololol.

Edited by CFM

Some things you just don’t skimp on.  I would never rebuild a rack or use a reman. Got burned on the last one trying to save a customer money . Never again.  Always ask yourself, is this worth doing again to save x amount of money.