Check your account email address ×

Wrenching on Vehicles

2 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I like the partial blend, now.  So if you are just blending into a panel they don’t want to pay full price for painting the panel because you’re not spraying color on the entire panel.   The paint is getting ridiculous 350 for a pint of paint. 

You have to stand your ground on that partial refinish adjustment shit. CCC makes the appropriate deductions when when calculating overlap. Insurance companies are getting to be insane. If you have Allstate or State Farm you might as well have no insurance. 

• Gold Member
8 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Did a full exhaust yesterday.  Paid like an hour.  Yeah,  maybe brand new. None of this shit wants to come apart . 46 an hour :lol:  criminal. 

2099CC37-04A0-46DD-950F-430BC803928E.thumb.jpeg.004a5a516c8b64806c848240a6d2098c.jpeg
not even 45 hr 49hr frame :lol:

Mass is worse I think they are 38hr.

They gotta keep us low so they can pay for some more stupid commercials with lizards and stupid flo. Fuck the highly skilled tradesmen. 

12 minutes ago, JEFF said:

You have to stand your ground on that partial refinish adjustment shit. CCC makes the appropriate deductions when when calculating overlap. Insurance companies are getting to be insane. If you have Allstate or State Farm you might as well have no insurance. 

Have had one adjuster out in a year since Covid.   Major pain in the ass,  we are doing their job for free, but on the upside we are getting what we want.  Fucking Allstate is the worst.  We rarely see Allstate jobs . They lie and steer customers out of my shop.  Had customers sitting in the office on the phone with them and they are trying to steer them out

5 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

2099CC37-04A0-46DD-950F-430BC803928E.thumb.jpeg.004a5a516c8b64806c848240a6d2098c.jpeg
not even 45 hr 49hr frame :lol:

Mass is worse I think they are 38hr.

They gotta keep us low so they can pay for some more stupid commercials with lizards and stupid flo. Fuck the highly skilled tradesmen. 

38? :lol:

its a joke anyway.  Every one knows you can’t run a shop at 46 hour so if it takes an hour you have to write 2

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, Cold War said:

38? :lol:

its a joke anyway.  Every one knows you can’t run a shop at 46 hour so if it takes an hour you have to write 2

Exactly it’s all just a game. I try to triple it worse case they knock it down to 2 for 1 best case I get 3 for 1. They are fucked if they think I’m working time for time at my rate even at 2 for 1 I consider myself under paid.

20 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Have had one adjuster out in a year since Covid.   Major pain in the ass,  we are doing their job for free, but on the upside we are getting what we want.  Fucking Allstate is the worst.  We rarely see Allstate jobs . They lie and steer customers out of my shop.  Had customers sitting in the office on the phone with them and they are trying to steer them out

Steering is highly illegal in NH. The can recommend a DRP shop they work with but any pressure is a no no.

Allstate wants us to do the initial call for a virtual estimate sometimes for elderly customers or whatnot, I've whacked them a few times for admin fee. Usually they won't pay, but some appraisers will so it's worth a shot. 

We forewarn customers with Allstate and state farm their repairs are going to take much longer to complete than they should because of the ridiculous wait times on supplements from the insurance company.  I've got 2 State farm claims going on two weeks waiting for supplements. Customers are in rentals. Perfect.

• Gold Member
8 minutes ago, JEFF said:

Steering is highly illegal in NH. The can recommend a DRP shop they work with but any pressure is a no no.

Allstate wants us to do the initial call for a virtual estimate sometimes for elderly customers or whatnot, I've whacked them a few times for admin fee. Usually they won't pay, but some appraisers will so it's worth a shot. 

We forewarn customers with Allstate and state farm their repairs are going to take much longer to complete than they should because of the ridiculous wait times on supplements from the insurance company.  I've got 2 State farm claims going on two weeks waiting for supplements. Customers are in rentals. Perfect.

Does state farm require you to give them a discount because they gave you work. My boss was complaining about that the other day that they want a 10% discount on the total repair cost because they “gave” us work

1 minute ago, JEFF said:

It’s illegal here too. It doesn’t stop them. Bigger shops have the funds to go after them .  We do not. 
I know, it’s hilarious. The big word is cycle time and they do everything to prolong the repair with bullshit. State Farm wants a written supplement with pictures if you require a  50 cent washer.  That has to be approved by a   another auditor that has never seen the vehicle. Now they write for parts all over the country. Like a headlight in Texas.  Smh. Most of the stuff they find the yard doesn’t even have. 

• Haha 1

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, Cold War said:

It’s illegal here too. It doesn’t stop them. Bigger shops have the funds to go after them .  We do not. 
I know, it’s hilarious. The big word is cycle time and they do everything to prolong the repair with bullshit. State Farm wants a written supplement with pictures if you require a  50 cent washer.  That has to be approved by a   another auditor that has never seen the vehicle. Now they write for parts all over the country. Like a headlight in Texas.  Smh. Most of the stuff they find the yard doesn’t even have. 

Lol that’s so true. If it does come in to it’s a miracle if it isn’t damaged or wrong side.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Does state farm require you to give them a discount because they gave you work. My boss was complaining about that the other day that they want a 10% discount on the total repair cost because they “gave” us work

No. I’m not a drp for them. So they aren’t giving us shit. Our 50 year reputation in our community is what “gives” us work. We use to be drp for about 15 companies. Now it’s 4.  It’s funny how insurance companies can vary so much across the country. It’s all dependent on the local people, if they have any functioning brain cells or not. And they all go through phases.. progressive and GEICO are like yo-yos. Suck ass for five years then ok for five. 

Allstate is kind enough to give themselves a 5% discount on every repair they write though. So that’s an immediate supplement. I used to be cordial to the appraisers when I’d do a supp. Now I’m pretty much like who the fuck do you think you are, giving yourselves a discount on the most halfassed estimate I’ve seen? Do you give yourself a discount when you go to the grocery store?!

Writing for the cheapest aftermarket junk they can find. So again we’ll play their game and get the shit parts and document the crappy fitment and do another supplement. Adding days to every repair they do. 
 Luckily NH has some decent laws protecting consumers regarding aftermarket parts, 3 years or 30k no aftermarket allowed. No aftermarket on leased vehicles. (Per the lease contracts)

Edited by JEFF
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Cold War said:

I’m not sure what state you’re in but here in NH we have an insurance commission that will go after insurance companies in regards to steering complaints. 
 The easy out for the asshole appraisers that write for a headlight from across the country is have them buy it on their cc and assume the risk of an incorrect, damaged part. I’m done buying $1800 used headlight assembly’s that have been broken and cobbled back together like a six year old did it. And then never get the credit issued to your cc. I’ll stick to vendors I know and trust. 

• Gold Member
9 hours ago, JEFF said:

No. I’m not a drp for them. So they aren’t giving us shit. Our 50 year reputation in our community is what “gives” us work. We use to be drp for about 15 companies. Now it’s 4.  It’s funny how insurance companies can vary so much across the country. It’s all dependent on the local people, if they have any functioning brain cells or not. And they all go through phases.. progressive and GEICO are like yo-yos. Suck ass for five years then ok for five. 

Allstate is kind enough to give themselves a 5% discount on every repair they write though. So that’s an immediate supplement. I used to be cordial to the appraisers when I’d do a supp. Now I’m pretty much like who the fuck do you think you are, giving yourselves a discount on the most halfassed estimate I’ve seen? Do you give yourself a discount when you go to the grocery store?!

Writing for the cheapest aftermarket junk they can find. So again we’ll play their game and get the shit parts and document the crappy fitment and do another supplement. Adding days to every repair they do. 
 Luckily NH has some decent laws protecting consumers regarding aftermarket parts, 3 years or 30k no aftermarket allowed. No aftermarket on leased vehicles. (Per the lease contracts)

We are a drp for snakefarm. As a tech I don’t personally mind them as long as I can prove my times with good pictures they’ll pay it. They make it a pain but you get it in the end. My boss hates they take the forced discount and I don’t blame him. My boss sounds pretty much like you we have a couple drp’s and we basically play the game with everyone a/m test fits, idiots not wanting to pay for blends, getting parts from other states even Canada some times because they are $1.38 cheaper but they pay a extra 4 days for rental still trying to figure that out. The cars do more sitting waiting for approvals than we do actually getting to work on them but in the end the customer gets a better repair. I don’t understand why my boss even deals with them he’s got 40+ yrs in business like yourself we got the reputation we don’t need to do discount charity work for cheap insurance companies but I guess they keep us busy year round so we put up with the bs. It just be nice if all the shops in NH or everywhere just came together and said this is how it’s gonna be not insurance telling us what we can charge.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JEFF said:

Spot on 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2021 at 7:11 AM, 800renegaderider said:

We are a drp for snakefarm. As a tech I don’t personally mind them as long as I can prove my times with good pictures they’ll pay it. They make it a pain but you get it in the end. My boss hates they take the forced discount and I don’t blame him. My boss sounds pretty much like you we have a couple drp’s and we basically play the game with everyone a/m test fits, idiots not wanting to pay for blends, getting parts from other states even Canada some times because they are $1.38 cheaper but they pay a extra 4 days for rental still trying to figure that out. The cars do more sitting waiting for approvals than we do actually getting to work on them but in the end the customer gets a better repair. I don’t understand why my boss even deals with them he’s got 40+ yrs in business like yourself we got the reputation we don’t need to do discount charity work for cheap insurance companies but I guess they keep us busy year round so we put up with the bs. It just be nice if all the shops in NH or everywhere just came together and said this is how it’s gonna be not insurance telling us what we can charge.

Hey,   Would you guys bump this or panel.   Not great pictures but it is caved in pretty good with a crease going through it. 

757EC8C0-94FE-43B7-B6FA-D564A96ACBE2.jpeg

1B14E042-78A3-4FF0-BE18-988D2EF3818D.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Hey,   Would you guys bump this or panel.   Not great pictures but it is caved in pretty good with a crease going through it. 

toilet plunger will fix that right up along with some gas on a rag.  

Just now, Angry ginger said:

toilet plunger will fix that right up along with some gas on a rag.  

You joke, but you would be surprised how many people believe a toilet plunger would fix it.  :lol:

18 minutes ago, Cold War said:

You joke, but you would be surprised how many people believe a toilet plunger would fix it.  :lol:

you should see the fine dents on my sons car-  MIL hit everything but the pace car.  Decided to just leave them all because even he ones that could be pulled out would need paint at which point i'd be better finding a couple used fenders and bumper cover given the common color.  

kia1.jpg

kia2.jpg

kia3.jpg

kia4.jpg

kia5.jpg

Tough color match too.  My kid has dings all over his car too from parking lot .  No idea what it takes or costs to repair.  You can fix it Dad!!
 Um ,  no!  I don’t have time for that shit.  Take care of your car,  park in the back. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Cold War said:

I’d fix it easy money. I’d write 1hr set up, 2hrs pull, pull tabs 1hr, 12hrs repair, 1hr repair jam maybe more can’t tell how bad it is, seam seal .5(around gas pocket) all int. R/I for panel access, disconnect battery/reset, all the other crap I’m sure you know...I’d try get it close to 20 and have less than a day in it. I’d think with int.

Edited by 800renegaderider

7 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I’d fix it easy money. I’d write 1hr set up, 2hrs pull, pull tabs 1hr, 12hrs repair, 1hr repair jam maybe more can’t tell how bad it is, seam seal .5(around gas pocket) all int. R/I for panel access, disconnect battery/reset, all the other crap I’m sure you know...I’d try get it close to 20 and have less than a day in it. I’d think with int.

Yeah it was into the jam.  Not real bad but enough it broke the paint.   My customers kids car .  Guy hit it in parking lot and is supposed to be paying bill.  I wrote 10 hrs on quarter,  I bumped it in 5.   1hr on door. De trim. $ 1000   Repair and now the guy who hit it is squealing.   I told the owner that is a gift.  I could of easily put a quarter on it.  🙄

• Gold Member
34 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Yeah it was into the jam.  Not real bad but enough it broke the paint.   My customers kids car .  Guy hit it in parking lot and is supposed to be paying bill.  I wrote 10 hrs on quarter,  I bumped it in 5.   1hr on door. De trim. $ 1000   Repair and now the guy who hit it is squealing.   I told the owner that is a gift.  I could of easily put a quarter on it.  🙄

Ya that’s cheaper than I’d do it for owner definitely got a gift lol

• Gold Member
26 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Not a lot of shops around here have anyone left who can bump. Parts replacers.  Just curious how much bumping you guys still do. 

We fix a decent amount of dents here. Techs write the jobs here so we try and do what will make us the most money the easiest way and still pump out a good product. The owner goes over what we wrote and will add more hours if he thinks it’s justified or even sometimes just have it replaced if he thinks it’s a better repair. Prius is a good example I’d fix that all day but most people just slap a quarter on it. Moneys in dent work not panel changing for techs anyways owners want to buy parts obviously because they get the % of the cost but changing parts doesn’t make a tech any money. Luckily here we have a decent system to make everyone money not just the owner.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 1:26 PM, Cold War said:

👍
I won’t do ABS sensors either.  I don’t trust any China electrical parts.  Tired of getting burned on them. Depending on difficulty of putting rack in .  8 hr job... no way.  They only want to reimburse you for the part. 

True that. I've put two NAPA sensors in my 2008 AWD Chevy van, right rear. Cleaned the mount, cleaned the trigger wheel, every time but it still fails a month or so later, if it hits a bump it loses info. Self resets while driving, but still annoying.

Thankfully I bit the bullet and bought a high end scan tool ($2000) last year that gets deep into the modules, (this van has a dozen or so) online updates, real time data etc. I could see with a road test that piece of shit sensor sending whacky data.

Did a brake job on the AWD with stability control, needed calipers. I spent a day trying to bleed the rear brakes, with a vacuum bleeder. Nothing. Like drive through the garage door nothing.

The thing has steering input sensors, roll over sensors. Like fuck, it ain't the starship Enterprise. Dumb it down for us good drivers.

Without a high end scan tool, activating the brake controller while it tells you what to do.... and a second person you'd blow your brains out.