Check your account email address ×

Just before midnight, DeSantis reveals he's signed $1 billion tax on consumers

Just before midnight, DeSantis reveals he's signed $1 billion tax on consumers

Just before midnight, DeSantis reveals he’s signed $1 billion tax on consumers 

Orlando Sentinel, 4/20/21 

Gov. Ron DeSantis signed into law late Monday a bill that will cost Florida consumers who shop online an estimated $1 billion a year in sales taxes, with the money used to cut business taxes. 

The governor’s office announced the decision at 11:23 p.m. Monday in an email that contained no comment. Early in the day, he traveled to Polk County to surround himself with law officers and publicly sign the controversial “anti-riot” bill (HB 1) that Democrats and civil rights activists contend is unconstitutional. 

“Governor just signed a bill into law to increase your taxes and give the new revenue of $1 billion to businesses,” Rep. Anna Eskamani, D-Orlando, tweeted after the bill signing was announced. 

Outnumbered Democrats in the Legislature had argued that working Floridians will be hurt by the proposal. The final package was approved 27-12 by the Senate and 93-24 in the House.

Great idea!  it gives Florida's business a tax cut and makes it less enticing to buy from non Florida stores.  He's trying to keep people buying local instead of online.  The riot act speaks for itself and I would think that 99% would agree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Minnesota has been requiring online retailers to collect sales tax for more than 2 or 3 years now.  Amazon, Ebay, Walmart, etc.  Very seldom do you still find an online retailer not charging tax when your shipping zip is MN.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, BadaBing444 said:

Great idea!  it gives Florida's business a tax cut and makes it less enticing to buy from non Florida stores.  He's trying to keep people buying local instead of online.  The riot act speaks for itself and I would think that 99% would agree.

Or he wants to succeed 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I like it, shop local, fuck internet shopping, help out your neighbor

I agree 100% but when you're trying to compete with big online giants like Amazon and Home Depot when their prices blow Main Street USA out of the water, most people don't care about the neighbor, they care about the buying power of their own money. If consumers really cared about Main Street USA, Jeff Bezos wouldn't be one of the richest men in America.

1 hour ago, snoughnut said:

I agree 100% but when you're trying to compete with big online giants like Amazon and Home Depot when their prices blow Main Street USA out of the water, most people don't care about the neighbor, they care about the buying power of their own money. If consumers really cared about Main Street USA, Jeff Bezos wouldn't be one of the richest men in America.

Well this will effectively reduce that gap by not giving the online shopping the sales tax discount 

9 minutes ago, Roosting said:

Well this will effectively reduce that gap by not giving the online shopping the sales tax discount 

I certainly hope so but we'll see. There's a big gap that needs to be narrowed, Main Street has been taking it in the ass by online vendors for quite some time now.

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Actually the opposite of what I see when you get down into it, the depot on 17pcs of chip board 7/16x4x8 42.99ea..my local hardware store, $38.99..I use Amazon as a price I should not pay..

He ain't the richest man in the world because they ain't making money, prices are high on there TBH

11 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Actually the opposite of what I see when you get down into it, the depot on 17pcs of chip board 7/16x4x8 42.99ea..my local hardware store, $38.99..I use Amazon as a price I should not pay..

He ain't the richest man in the world because they ain't making money, prices are high on there TBH

Wrong, I've been in the plumbing biz for 35 years and have never seen anything like we're seeing in the last 10 -15 years. My suppliers who are supposed to be wholesalers have not been wholesalers for a long time, they can't beat the online retailers on most products. Now imagine me having to take a markup on my wholesale cost which is already higher than the online price. If it wasn't for the good customers who knows what it would be like, sometimes I think they do business with me because they sympathize with the situation. Like I said, most people don't care about Main Street, they care about their own wallet, can you blame them?

I didn't say Bezos was the richest, I said one of the richest.

6 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Republicans increasing taxes and it’s OK with the so called conservatives here?

WHAT THE FUCK?

well, he could go the other way and eliminate sales tax altogether, but in a zero income tax state, that ain't happening.  This law is excellent for his state's businesses.

He's your next president.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

I like it, shop local, fuck internet shopping, help out your neighbor

Have fun chasing all over town then.  Here we don't even have the option to get lots of stuff locally.  I shop local when I can but why would I pay 50%+ more at Ace when I could buy it at Home Depot and they ship it to me for free?  If I need them today I will go there and pay the few extra bucks but I'm not going to pay with bigger projects.

I just got a box of Honda atv parts shipped to my door for way less than the dealer (that I don't like) would have sold them to me for.

There are a few parts stores in town but why would I pay as much for junk aftermarket stuff as I could if I ordered OEM parts online?  Or worse yet, go to the local dealer and get robbed.

1 hour ago, F3600 said:

Minnesota has been requiring online retailers to collect sales tax for more than 2 or 3 years now.  Amazon, Ebay, Walmart, etc.  Very seldom do you still find an online retailer not charging tax when your shipping zip is MN.

Been that way here in Michigan for a while too. 

3 hours ago, F3600 said:

Most of the engines eatsy etc etc do it automatically and deal with the tax part thrugh places like digital river.  And just send out 1099 to all there sellers at years end . 

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

Gave the money to businesses......lmao

As apposed to what giving it to people who don't contribute shit to society? You want new buisnnes to come to your state you give them incentives to do so . Pretty much every state with a expanding buisness community dose it . Then there are places like CA 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, snoughnut said:

But even places like home depot hire a lot of your neighbors 

2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Republicans increasing taxes and it’s OK with the so called conservatives here?

WHAT THE FUCK?

So in your mind internet sales should not be taxed but brick and morter should be taxed ? 

19 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

As apposed to what giving it to people who don't contribute shit to society? You want new buisnnes to come to your state you give them incentives to do so . Pretty much every state with a expanding buisness community dose it . Then there are places like CA 

Punish those who work hard

Reward those who don’t.  

Its his mantra.