Check your account email address ×

10,000 jobs?

Snake

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Most in real trades make much more than those in liberal arts, just sayin.  But sure if you are happy knowing you degree is useless yet you like what you do, all the power to you.

that's weird. this entire conversation is weird. but what else is new. 

8 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

When all the shit is subsidised by the government...fucking stupid. Coal is so cheap...that is why everyone on the planet uses it...lol

Canada is halting coal to be used internally yet we will continue to export it.  How does that make any sense?

3 hours ago, 02sled said:

That's fine but bottom line... get ready to pay a lot more for that product than you do today and it will likely have little or no impact on jobs at home. The other big killer someone else mentioned is lots of jobs are going away as a result of computerization and automation. I remember the days of having to get in line at the bank to make a deposit or withdrawal, have my pass book updated and stamped by hand. There was a huge number of tellers. Now I don't remember the last time I went into a bank for any of that. The last time I did was in a bank was to sign some papers and there was one teller in the middle of the afternoon.

I agree. Modernization is definitely a job killer. But new technologies can also help bring manufacturing back. We still have a shitload of natural resources here. If we can turn those into finished product faster and more efficiently that is still the biggest factor in creating demand and jobs. 

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

can you run your home entirely off wind or solar?   still a ways I think.   I always liked geothermal. 

It can be done now, but it isn't mainstream by any means.  Solar keeps getting better, batteries keep improving and the cost keeps coming down.  It's much closer than you think.

7 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

It can be done now, but it isn't mainstream by any means.  Solar keeps getting better, batteries keep improving and the cost keeps coming down.  It's much closer than you think.

I agree. 

Trades are another story. It's a great option till your in your 40s and your body is getting used up.

5 hours ago, ICEMAN! said:

Coal is done.  The cost per kWh for solar has declined to the point where it is directly competing with coal.  Power generation will be decentralized in the very near future.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-06/wind-and-solar-are-crushing-fossil-fuels

well then I guess we can cut all solar subsidies then seeing as it can directly compete with one of the cheapest fuels we have . I am sure u would have to agree with that right?

5 hours ago, Cold War said:

What trade?   I know guys who cut lawns and landscape.  They love it, wouldn't trade it for a higher paying desk job.   A lot of people take pride in working with their hands and the job they do.  I do what a lot of people do for a hobby, can't be all that bad.  The worst part of my job is having to be in the office. 

crazy part is one of my buds makes more than most guys I know with his lawn /landscape corp. in the works now selling it for 1.6 . not bad for a gig you should be making your kids do for there allowance. but to be fare he has a business degree .

I my self paid my own way through MCAD a Minneapolis privet art/ design school by working at NCR installing computer systems  and am a remodeling contractor . I guess I use a bit of what I got out of school but not much.

it is sinful what government policy has done to the cost of higher ed. absolutely fucking disgusting . over 1/2 the people I knew in the late 80s were paying there own way through a state university by working part time and only a few loans .

7 hours ago, ICEMAN! said:

Coal is done.  The cost per kWh for solar has declined to the point where it is directly competing with coal.  Power generation will be decentralized in the very near future.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-06/wind-and-solar-are-crushing-fossil-fuels

It's sill big in cement kilns and if there is going to be a lot of construction jobs in infrastructure cuz Trump I going to generat  a Trillion dollar infrastructure plan  they are going to be using a lot of concrete ICEWelcher you know nothing clown :finger: 

7 hours ago, Zambroski said:

You live in a world different than ours.  Wind and solar are unpredictable and cannot sustain a most large areas with their minimal stored reserves. Coal isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  Still about 70% of our power comes from fossil fuels and somewhere around 30-40 percent come from Coal.

The answer is Nuclear.  But, we are to ignorant to see it.  And now we are behind the 8 ball in plant construction.

Yep.  Trades are where most will find the future. These colleges pumping out 100's of thousands of grads every year is a complete joke.  A business degree is easy and a dime a couple of dozen.  Oh, and a liberal art degree?  Yes, I'll have the turtle mocha no cream please.

:lol:

ICEWelcher is a complete fucking clown Ontario has the most expensive electricity in North America cuz the idiot fucking leftard imbiciles tried to move away from coal to solar and wind and subsidized the complete fuck out of it now people are freezing to death cuz they can't pay their bills, it's like one of the biggest government fuckups of all time just an unimaginable cluster fuck :guzzle: 

12 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Or all those worthless, niggers, beaners and the "new liberal cause"...the ME Muslims, sittin' around sucking on the G'ment tit...while they train their next generation to do the same?  Right.  See?  See what I did there?

What's it like to be a self hating white man?  Painful days filled with sorrowful nights? :lol: Get some bronzer, grow a beard and grab a turban.  Be the race you WANT to be.  This is AMERICA brought to you by the liberals...Shit, if you can now choose your sex, you should be able to choose your race.  Right?

Of course you can choose your race. Obama chose to be a nigger.

4 hours ago, Momorider said:

ICEWelcher is a complete fucking clown Ontario has the most expensive electricity in North America cuz the idiot fucking leftard imbiciles tried to move away from coal to solar and wind and subsidized the complete fuck out of it now people are freezing to death cuz they can't pay their bills, it's like one of the biggest government fuckups of all time just an unimaginable cluster fuck :guzzle: 

The only good thing about the Libtard green energy fiasco is it can and should be used as an example of what not to do.  Businesses leaving and people forced to choose between paying bills or buying food. 

11 hours ago, spin_dry said:

that's weird. this entire conversation is weird. but what else is new. 

it got weird when you started spewing your "why settle" bs. The reality is alot of people have to settle because the utopian land of rainbows and unicorns where you live, doesn't exist.

8 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

well then I guess we can cut all solar subsidies then seeing as it can directly compete with one of the cheapest fuels we have . I am sure u would have to agree with that right?

Pretty sure he fell in the koolaid.

14 hours ago, spin_dry said:

HVAC for 4 years. then i jumped into electronic component repair/service tech for 5 years. then i figured out what i wanted to do. 

Not a bad trade to be in. There will always be jobs. 

14 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Yep.  Trades are where most will find the future. These colleges pumping out 100's of thousands of grads every year is a complete joke.  A business degree is easy and a dime a couple of dozen.  Oh, and a liberal art degree?  Yes, I'll have the turtle mocha no cream please.

:lol:

I have never missed an opportunity to learn a trade, even it is only for my personal use. besides being licensed in mechanics, frame, autobody.   I can, roof, siding, plumb, electrical, rough & finish carpentry, weld, flooring, etc.

Tried to explain to my son & nephew.........It doesn't matter if you don't want to spend your life doing this business, you will learn skills that will last you a lifetime. While others are spending a 100+ an hour to have their car serviced you will be able to do it on your own.  The price of skilled labor is going to continue to rise, because no one is coming into the trades. The average age of techs continues to rise every year. On average the typical tech is 35 to 40 years old......that is crazy! 

Edited by Cold War

13 hours ago, 02sled said:

They come out of school with totally unrealistic expectations especially on what they will earn. I've had people take a few computer science courses and when you ask what their salary expectations are many say with a very straight face anywhere from $75K to $100K as an entry level position.

Very true, this is a millennial  thing. we were raised, you started at the ground floor and worked your way up. They do not believe this. Both my Daughter & son-in-law  have no patience for putting time in. They want it right now.   

10 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Trades are another story. It's a great option till your in your 40s and your body is getting used up.

True, working smarter should be included in every course.

Edited by Cold War

10 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Sure.  Cut all the subsidies to all the other energy industries too then, and quit going to war over oil.

9 hours ago, Momorider said:

It's sill big in cement kilns and if there is going to be a lot of construction jobs in infrastructure cuz Trump I going to generat  a Trillion dollar infrastructure plan  they are going to be using a lot of concrete ICEWelcher you know nothing clown :finger: 

Trump already said that his trillion dollar infrastructure plan is out the window.

:lmao:

20 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Sure.  Cut all the subsidies to all the other energy industries too then, and quit going to war over oil.

Trump already said that his trillion dollar infrastructure plan is out the window.

:lmao:

:lies:

2 hours ago, Cold War said:

Very true, this is a millennial  thing. we were raised, you started at the ground floor and worked your way up. They do not believe this. Both my Daughter & son-in-law  have no patience for putting time in. They want it right now.   

True, working smarter should be included in every course.

So true... they come out of school with unrealistic expectations of the jobs and salaries they are going to actually get. They think they will all start their first day as management making $75K to $100K a year and then when they go looking for their first home want 2300+ sq. ft. five appliances, granite countertops and landscaped yards. Why, because that is what mom and dad have. They seem to forget it took mom and dad most of their life to get to where their kids expect to start.

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

So true... they come out of school with unrealistic expectations of the jobs and salaries they are going to actually get. They think they will all start their first day as management making $75K to $100K a year and then when they go looking for their first home want 2300+ sq. ft. five appliances, granite countertops and landscaped yards. Why, because that is what mom and dad have. They seem to forget it took mom and dad most of their life to get to where their kids expect to start.

over here many kids are expecting mom and dad to buy them that,  and many do. 

• Gold Member
17 hours ago, Mainecat said:

I agree. 

It isnt the trades that tears alot of people up.... Some it is but i think most of it is their lifestyle, diet, fitness, and other activities besides work that takes a large toll on the body.

8 hours ago, Cold War said:

Not a bad trade to be in. There will always be jobs. 

I have never missed an opportunity to learn a trade, even it is only for my personal use. besides being licensed in mechanics, frame, autobody.   I can, roof, siding, plumb, electrical, rough & finish carpentry, weld, flooring, etc.

Tried to explain to my son & nephew.........It doesn't matter if you don't want to spend your life doing this business, you will learn skills that will last you a lifetime. While others are spending a 100+ an hour to have their car serviced you will be able to do it on your own.  The price of skilled labor is going to continue to rise, because no one is coming into the trades. The average age of techs continues to rise every year. On average the typical tech is 35 to 40 years old......that is crazy! 

Yep.  I can build a house from the ground up because I've watched and learned from my old man and others along the last 6 houses I've built.  It's nice to know how to do the shit yourself, even if it's not all fun to do.

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

It isnt the trades that tears alot of people up.... Some it is but i think most of it is their lifestyle, diet, fitness, and other activities besides work that takes a large toll on the body.

Agreed.  These guys on some of my crews are good tradesman and pretty damn knowledgeable but treat their bodies like shit.  Hard drinkers, chain smokers, meth heads or other.  No knee pads, braces or really, no safety devices at....they just rip their bodies apart.  And shit, some make some damn good coin but piss it away as fast as they make it.  How do I pay a 35 year old man with a family $1200 on Friday and he needs an advance by Wednesday?  Sad and unbelievable.  And try and give them some financial advice....they act like you are trying to give them the HIVS!  :wall:

Now I have run into a few sharp young men along the way too.  Don't smoke, responsible and hard working.  One is now running his own crew.  I helped him get incorporated.  26 years old and he'll be a fucking rockstar making bank if he continues on.  My master plumber is out on his own now too with a helper.  He banks $80/hour and is constantly reinvesting in his business.  Just bought a second company truck.  He just turned 30.  My electrician is an idiot in his personal life but damn good at what he does.  Concrete guys are the same way....but funny to have a few drinks with for sure.

A good tradesman.....they're gonna be worth gold in the future.  Hell, the good ones are worth gold now.