Check your account email address ×

Winter socks

What are the best socks to wear , for sledding and winter outdoor activities? My feet sweat like crazy and get cold if I am standing around ,

3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

I wear light boots (FXR Xcross) and on my “serious” romps I like to wear alpine ski socks.  

I cant stand those stiff fucking snowboard boot have never liked them have bought a few diff times always end up giving them away . I need to be able to move my feet independent of my fucking knee 

I really like the stomper 2.0 so much so I got 3 pr last time they were on clearance for like 120 a pr . It is not like my feet are going to grow . And I like 2 pr with on every trip 

I dont like the tie with a twist of the wire ones though .

Every one has there thing I have buds who love the snow x / snowboard boots all they buy 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
4 hours ago, Cat45 said:

I like merino wool. Still keeps you warm even when its wet

I will 2nd merino wool,even if it's damp/wet it will still insulate you. Merino is great stuff!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

I cant stand those stiff fucking snowboard boot have never liked them have bought a few diff times always end up giving them away . I need to be able to move my feet independent of my fucking knee 

I really like the stomper 2.0 so much so I got 3 pr last time they were on clearance for like 120 a pr . It is not like my feet are going to grow . And I like 2 pr with on every trip 

I dont like the tie with a twist of the wire ones though .

Every one has there thing I have buds who love the snow x / snowboard boots all they buy 

Yeah, every boot has it's place.  I love these though.  They are stiff for support but still real light in feel and insulation.  I don't know what mountain riders would use but, I'd probably want something that felt like a tennis shoe for that stuff.  Something super light and form fitting.  Like a fucking moon boot almost.  Remember those?  LOL

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Yeah, every boot has it's place.  I love these though.  They are stiff for support but still real light in feel and insulation.  I don't know what mountain riders would use but, I'd probably want something that felt like a tennis shoe for that stuff.  Something super light and form fitting.  Like a fucking moon boot almost.  Remember those?  LOL

Bahaha, and when the got wet!! Like 2 frozen cinder blocks on each foot. Then my mom started putting bread bags over my feet before the old moon boots went on..foot would all slide around until the bag worked it's way down, wedging itself into the toe box..Ahhhh, the good old days!!:lol:

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, The One said:

What are the best socks to wear , for sledding and winter outdoor activities? My feet sweat like crazy and get cold if I am standing around ,

The one main problem with sweaty feet is the liners/boots get moisture in them. I originally had that problem getting cold feet then a buddy suggested taking the liners out overnight. The first time I did that the liners were wet as was the inside of the boot. In the mornings I would wear my boots with beanbag slippers till we were ready to go riding and then put the liners back in. My boots are over 10yrs old and I only wear little ankle socks now and feet are toasty

3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Oh yeah I had a silver pr i got them because i thought they looked like something KISS would wear in the arctic lol.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

Bahaha, and when the got wet!! Like 2 frozen cinder blocks on each foot. Then my mom started putting bread bags over my feet before the old moon boots went on..foot would all slide around until the bag worked it's way down, wedging itself into the toe box..Ahhhh, the good old days!!:lol:

Lol yep forgot about the bread bags 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The One said:

I am going to try different ones as all you guys have mentioned, I firgure you can't put a price on warmth and comfort !!

I get most of my ridding sox snd under shirts in the ski department . Mix of wool and polyester.  Ski clothing manu have had quality wicking shit for decades.  Best place for light gloves also 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Oh yeah I had a silver pr i got them because i thought they looked like something KISS would wear in the arctic lol.

LOL...mine were black to match my Members Only jacket.  :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Lol yep forgot about the bread bags 

LOL...me too!  Good times.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The One said:

I am going to try different ones as all you guys have mentioned, I firgure you can't put a price on warmth and comfort !!

The best thing to do when picking gear (like picking a sled) is to be honest with how you ride and be smart about your purchases.  You said your feet get hot so, go with a lighter boot and athletic type socks that will wick away the sweat and help with ventilation.  I'll jump out sometimes in my sorels being sockless.  Feet are a sweaty sloshy mess in galoshes in no time.

"The right tool for the right job."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The One said:

I fought this battle for years, I even had boots that had 2000 grams of thinsulate, extreme cold socks etc. finally one day at the place where I buy my boots the guy said you have too insulation around your feet and your feet are excessively sweating which over time will cause your feet to get cold. He suggested non insulated boots and regular socks, I was buying a new pair of work/hunting boots so I really didn't have much to lose. I now wear non insulated boots, regular socks and never had any issues after that, I do keep a pair of heaver socks with me just incase. When hunting and I get to my stand I wait till I feel my feet getting cool then I change my socks to a new dry pair, my feet really don't get that cold anymore. I either put my boots in front of a heat register or on a boot dryer to keep the insides dried out. Sometimes too much insulation is a bad thing

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

This is why we are where we are. Fucking grown ass men talking about fucking socks 

Hey i have some north of 35 bucks if going out all day doing something active pulling a fresh pr of tube Sox out of the plastic bag is not really a option unless you like cold damp feet 

• Like 1