Check your account email address ×

Who thinks we are going to "snap back"?

2 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

Yeah, Mesabi Metalics now. Pay before release. LOL

Damn right....can’t trust those fucks as far as you can throw them

• Like 1

3 hours ago, f7ben said:

I’ll be fine....the stimulus money gave us a little cushion and I worked a bit of ot this year. I’m gonna work on my house every day. I’m in much better shape than a lot of people. My brother will do fine as well. We are fortunate. 

Too bad you didn't get a tax holiday.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, f7ben said:

I’ll be fine....the stimulus money gave us a little cushion and I worked a bit of ot this year. I’m gonna work on my house every day. I’m in much better shape than a lot of people. My brother will do fine as well. We are fortunate. 

Sorry man. Been there.  :bc: 

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 hours ago, Anler said:

Lots of issues besides this one but just an example of how fucked we are. 

There will be a massive change in how people recreate and spend for a few years if not much longer.   Bars/restaurants, airlines, cruise-lines and hotels all take a huge, huge hit and maybe never recover.   Business' will not make people travel nearly as much.   

American's are spenders.   If they were comfortable with $1500 cushion in the bank before it will get back to that.....they will just change where they spend. 

Golf, camping and other recreational activities that don't involve being around so many people will flourish.   This may get a shift back to home ownership which today's generations didn't focus on nearly as much as previous generations.   This will cause an economic shift from certain goods and activities to others in magnitude and in a short time-frame unlike anything the countries ever seen before.

Companies to look out for as doing well.   Any of the Air B & B type sites (VRBO).   Netflix, Amazon, Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, Target.   Any of the top online shopping places.   Tech companies that focus on video communication will thrive.   There will be many great investment opportunities in the next few years.

Edited by Highmark

14 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Snap back no. The effects will be felt by many for a while. Some people will be doing ok by late summer.

Some others will be fucked for a while.

There will be a bounce mid to late summer, CInco de Mayo was a hoppin time in Atlanta........ and the beat goes on.

41 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

How the world responded to past pandemics is a good teacher. It’s not a bright picture. Yet all things do come to pass. 

The Roaring 20's followed the Spanish Flu Pandemic, and yes all things do come to pass.

And for all, and @Anler just remember Jim Cramer is the fucking clown who told people don't worry about Bear Stearns, less than a week later Bear Stearns cratered, fuck anything Jim Cramer rants about.

54 minutes ago, ckf said:

Sorry to hear that you got laid off,  Ben  :(

Seasonal businesses better have a healty reserve contingency fund, or they are screwed. 

next to none of them do unless it's a hobby business.   All the beach business owners have to be panicking right now.  they have a 100+- day season to make money from Mem day weekend till the Seafood festival and they are pretty much guaranteed to lose 30 days of that so far.  If hotels can open last week of June for out of the area visitors they might scratch their way through till 2021.  Right now they are talking closing ocean blvd and allowing the businesses to set up outside and to keep people spread out between A and H street. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

next to none of them do unless it's a hobby business.   All the beach business owners have to be panicking right now.  they have a 100+- day season to make money from Mem day weekend till the Seafood festival and they are pretty much guaranteed to lose 30 days of that so far.  If hotels can open last week of June for out of the area visitors they might scratch their way through till 2021.  Right now they are talking closing ocean blvd and allowing the businesses to set up outside and to keep people spread out between A and H street. 

Yup, going to be a tough year in the lakes region, too. Laconia lost bike week. Even if they do race at NHMS this year it will probably be without fans. The only plus side is that more people will be doing different outdoor activities instead of the bigger events that they are accustomed to. 

I can picture the beach being a complete shit show this summer on a hot humid day. It would be next to impossible to control the crowds.  It could be a real mess if only one of two of the three (ME, NH and MA)  state's beaches opened.  If NH and MA open, but not ME.....  What are you going to do with all of the extra Canadian's that go to the ME beaches?  They would think they were in the Caribbean if they felt the warmer waters of Cape Cod, or Buzzards Bay   :lol:

35 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

There will be a bounce mid to late summer, CInco de Mayo was a hoppin time in Atlanta........ and the beat goes on.

The Roaring 20's followed the Spanish Flu Pandemic, and yes all things do come to pass.

And for all, and @Anler just remember Jim Cramer is the fucking clown who told people don't worry about Bear Stearns, less than a week later Bear Stearns cratered, fuck anything Jim Cramer rants about.

Yes but he has also been very successful picking winners and losers in his lifetime. Have you been 100% right about everything you predicted? I just think its a good idea to discuss these things, it gives you a better perspective about the future when you consider all angles. :bc: 

18 hours ago, f7ben said:

This sucks. I’m hoping for a quick turn around. You are able to adapt pretty quick to change. That’s a positive. 

6 hours ago, ckf said:

Sorry to hear that you got laid off,  Ben  :(

Seasonal businesses better have a healty reserve contingency fund, or they are screwed. 

What we are gonna see is big loss in small businesses and a loss in small business applications because of how easily we’ve all seen government put them out of their own business.  Small restaurants and breweries are gonna be tough to start back up and even tougher to find new entrepreneurs to risk it all to invest in one.

But hey, Applebee’s!!!!

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

What we are gonna see is big loss in small businesses and a loss in small business applications because of how easily we’ve all seen government put them out of their own business.  Small restaurants and breweries are gonna be tough to start back up and even tougher to find new entrepreneurs to risk it all to invest in one.

But hey, Applebee’s!!!!

i think we will lose a ton of chains as well.  sure they got some help but investors at that level are going to want to see stores that were barely performing before gone to keep their money in there.  the shutdowns of chains at least locally has been occuring for awhile and not many new ones popping back up. 

7 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

What happened in the roaring 20's?  Oh yeah the great depression. Same recipe as now. :lol: