Check your account email address ×

Still working?

They started cutting our overtime this week. I rarely work any so that won’t affect me. My boss started dropping hints at 32hr work weeks and voluntary layoffs this morning. It’s gonna get sketchy 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Been working from home for a couple weeks now. Just handed a salary reduction for the month of April but not a lot of talk about layoffs or furloughs for Engineering just yet. 

12 minutes ago, f7ben said:

They started cutting our overtime this week. I rarely work any so that won’t affect me. My boss started dropping hints at 32hr work weeks and voluntary layoffs this morning. It’s gonna get sketchy 

this is my 3rd week on 80% (30 hrs/wk). We've laid off 20 staff internally so consider my self somewhat lucky on that front to still have a paycheck. Was supposed to get my quarterly commissions in March but didn't, don't know if/when I will haven't broached subject with my boss, don't know if I will. Is what it is. 

1 minute ago, frenchy said:

this is my 3rd week on 80% (30 hrs/wk). We've laid off 20 staff internally so consider my self somewhat lucky on that front to still have a paycheck. Was supposed to get my quarterly commissions in March but didn't, don't know if/when I will haven't broached subject with my boss, don't know if I will. Is what it is. 

I’ll take anything that keeps me working at this point. I fucking hate not having a job 

20 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Good luck dude.  :bc:   All this is starting to get to people.  Wife had a mini melt down last night, after 3 weeks of stressed out clients calling about their investments, I think its worn on her.  She's full of worry and sadness that we can't be together with family, who are spread out from Maine to Florida. My nephews wife is in Florida due to deliver a baby any time now, and all her family is up here.  Her daughter is working at a car dealership in Maine and most of the staff is oblivious to the social distancing, hygiene protocols, everyones just a little stressed out right now.

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I’ll take anything that keeps me working at this point. I fucking hate not having a job 

agreed,  we were on 80% last winter here and that is better than not having a job at all.  Our ops staff last March were bitching about the 4 day weeks,  they are now complaining about having to work too much OT

3 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Good luck dude.  :bc:   All this is starting to get to people.  Wife had a mini melt down last night, after 3 weeks of stressed out clients calling about their investments, I think its worn on her.  She's full of worry and sadness that we can't be together with family, who are spread out from Maine to Florida. My nephews wife is in Florida due to deliver a baby any time now, and all her family is up here.  Her daughter is working at a car dealership in Maine and most of the staff is oblivious to the social distancing, hygiene protocols, everyones just a little stressed out right now.

I’m generally pretty optimistic. I think we all get through this and find a new normal soon enough. I can’t help but continue to be concerned the with outright destruction of our liberties though. 

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

agreed,  we were on 80% last winter here and that is better than not having a job at all.  Our ops staff last March were bitching about the 4 day weeks,  they are now complaining about having to work too much OT

I can figure out a way to make cash if I need it....I can’t afford to have to buy healthcare though if I’m out of work and I hate missing any time contributing to retirement. Layoffs are lost time

Still working, everything seems to be going as good as it can be at the moment. No reduction in pay, working normal hours in the office, I havent been traveling for almost 3 weeks now, talking with dealers via phone or email.

5 hours ago, Skidude600 said:

Yup, but the wife's looking at a possible furlough at her hospital and 7 others across the state of Mich. Came down from the top yesterday that they were looking for 2500 healthcare workers to volunteer for it, but never gave them a timeline as to when or if they would be back to work any time soon. If they don't get the the 2500, they will do layoffs. I think she will be ok being she's an RN, but who knows. 

Why would a hospital layoff an RN at this time? :dunno:

3 hours ago, frenchy said:

No reason for you not to get your quarterly commissions.

42 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I'm sure I will, just not going to press the matter right now. 

one of the perks of being union protected and working at a publicly funded institution I guess. 

There is a factor of insulation working at a public union job. Pete always talks like he’s his own man. I figured he was self employed. I need to pay closer attention around here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

There is a factor of insulation working at a public union job. Pete always talks like he’s his own man. I figured he was self employed. I need to pay closer attention around here. 

yes, quite the rugged individualist. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, frenchy said:

I'm sure I will, just not going to press the matter right now. 

I squared up with everyone a few weeks ago figuring everyone has a lot of uncertainty in there life right now. I have when older estimator who requested a temporary layoff, we have a paid when paid rule but I advanced him just because.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, frenchy said:

one of the perks of being union protected and working at a publicly funded institution I guess. 

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Dopo says a lot of things...99.9% are so fucking stupid it makes your eyeballs hurt. :lol:

• Haha 2

Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

I squared up with everyone a few weeks ago figuring everyone has a lot of uncertainty in there life right now. I have when older estimator who requested a temporary layoff, we have a paid when paid rule but I advanced him just because.

that's our biggest issue right now. We pay before we get paid. Problem is average turnaround has gone from a Net 45 average to a prediction of Net 90 to Net 120. 

yes, quite the rugged individualist. 

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Dopo says a lot of things...99.9% are so fucking stupid it makes your eyeballs hurt. :lol:

I think we should refer to him as "Dopo the Rugged Individualist" from now on :lol: 

• Haha 2

that's our biggest issue right now. We pay before we get paid. Problem is average turnaround has gone from a Net 45 average to a prediction of Net 90 to Net 120. 

We have the paid when paid rule in place to keep rhe estimitors, PX's, and PM's in the game, cloesout docs and all that minutiae get taken care of faster. The old carrot on a stick.

1 hour ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Good question... More than likely they are looking out for their bottom line. They aren't doing much in the way of procedures whether they are tests or surgeries unless they are absolutely necessary. Cash flow must be an issue. Who knows really, but I would agree it's a pretty dumb move with everything going on not to mention other hospitals in the area are trying to fill "hundreds" of openings.

• Thanks 1