Check your account email address ×

What’s the most damage you’ve had and still manage to ride it out

• Platinum Contributing Member

I rolled/ crashed a rental at togwotee one year. Racing my group across a field, right in the thick of the snow dust. End of the field came up a little quick and I ended up rolling into the trees. It was fucked. Destroyed the hood and belly pan. Exhaust was all fucked up and wouldn’t seat properly. One ski was bent and spindle cracked.More than one of us ended up in the puckers lol. Made it back to the lodge!! 

Edited by Shifty

2 minutes ago, Shifty said:

I rolled/ crashed a rental at togwotee one year. Racing my group across a field, right in the thick of the snow dust. End of the field came up a little quick and I ended up rolling into the trees. It was fucked. Destroyed the hood and belly pan. Exhaust was all fucked up and wouldn’t seat properly. One ski was bent and spindle cracked.More than one of us ended up in the puckers lol. Made it back to the lodge!! 

Ouch. How much did that cost ya?

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Ouch. How much did that cost ya?

Well...... less than you’d think lol. I married the owner’s daughter 

• Like 2

I launched the shift a bit further than expected a few yrs ago and managed to snap the rear,  front shock, bend a rail, and shear the torque arm in half. I obviously could feel something was amiss but it was a deep snow day  and conditions were epic. So I rode another 40 miles home and tossed it in the garage. When it had thawed out I noticed that the jagged broken shock arm Had worn the the track right down the center and it was basically split in half with only a few threads holding together. 

• Haha 1

A-arms and spindle tied together with rope. Had to do that in Togwotee 2 times and the Snowy's.

Crank bearing venting hole in bottom case. Had to tow that out. Togwotee 

Engine seized right by the wilderness boundary in 5 feet of fresh powder, Cooke City. Took 3 guys 4 days to get that sled out. Sled was tied rear bumper to rear bumper to another sled. Track and skid removed, skis turned around backwards, Anything that was easy to unbolt and removed was removed to save weight. We "may" have polluted the earth with antifreeze and gas that trip. 

Crank actually seized. Otherwise we were going to do the top end of that sled on the mountain. It was that difficult to get that sled out. I seriously thought I might have to call a helicopter. 

• Like 1

Had an RMK rental out of West Yellowstone, riding up near lions head, found a rock and took out the right upper and lower a arms.  Thankfully the shock was ok.  Zip ties and branches and riding the left running board was able to nurse it back to town.  Brandy at West Polaris got me the parts and Curt at the Yellowstone motel let us use his tools and warm garage and had it all swapped out in about an hour.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frostynuts said:

Wow, how did you manage to hang on and not hit the tree ?

I saw it coming so I jumped to the right. Landed flat on my back in the soft snow. More embarrassing than anything else. :lol:

Rode a pro s 800 for the rest of the weekend, that's when I knew my next sled would be a Polaris... :news:

• Like 1

Blew the engine on the 570 right up.  Rode out behind a FST. 

1st ride out the following year with the 570 again (i had my 1200) she went BOOM again. 

Last arctic cat ever bought and last break down since 2011.

Had a friend that ripped both a-arms off.  rode out 30 miles on the belly pan

• Like 1

Twisted the tunnel and bent the mounts on the bulkhead, a-arms on both sides, and most of the plastics on one. 

Wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, so I listed it as-is on CL and had it sold the afternoon I listed it. 

Saw it at Princeton the next summer still looking all jacked up, but now sporting about a 12" riser and aftermarket handlebars.

I picked up the pace a little on that walk.

7 hours ago, f7ben said:

I've only totalled 2 sleds in my life

I never totaled any but flipped a Drag sled coming off the line at a Grass race in Sussex, Wi., no damage at all except I p-ssed blood for a couple days.

Edited by XCR1250

28 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I never totaled any but flipped a Drag sled coming off the line at a Grass race in Sussex, Wi., no damage at all except I p-ssed blood for a couple days.

Took a hard shot to the kidney eh

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Took a hard shot to the kidney eh

Was my daughters improved stock, landed on top of me which saved the sled, nickname was"Flipper" for a couple years after that..what's really sad is the races were over and I was bringing the sled down to the end of the track where the trailers were, I forgot she's a lot lighter than me and the way the suspension was set up for her it got air-born.

Edited by XCR1250

7 hours ago, Shifty said:

Well...... less than you’d think lol. I married the owner’s daughter 

the owner of Amtrak ?if so you are privet jet balling ha  or the old owners ? in any case you are looking at a sweet inheritance some day 

few yrs back flat light on my way down a mountain side went in to a deep hole and out flew over 30 feet   went in to another hole deep enough no one saw me till sled came out tail first with me off tbe sled .

then sled went another 30 feet or so landing up right about a foot from me .

steering post folded in to the guage throtel block smashed apart visable bend in tunnel at driver left a arm busted. good not pushing up to air box to seal it up . prob 1/4 inch gap at bottem 

drove it out 

• Sad 1