Check your account email address ×

Welded two pieces of steel together!!!

BOHICA

I took welding for 4 years in high school and chose it over automotive as my main and only shop class in grade 12. Not once have I welded since I left high school in 81. 

I enjoyed it but it never worked out that way as a vocation. I asked/tried a few times at work over the years but not one welder ever let me for some reason? 

1 minute ago, irv said:

I took welding for 4 years in high school and chose it over automotive as my main and only shop class in grade 12. Not once have I welded since I left high school in 81. 

I enjoyed it but it never worked out that way as a vocation. I asked/tried a few times at work over the years but not one welder ever let me for some reason? 

I have 2 buds who are dead already they were welders by trade both lung issues,took them out pre 50 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, irv said:

Maybe because you worked in a nuclear plant and the guys did not want a melt down to occur.😁

• Haha 2

Just now, Ez ryder said:

I have 2 buds who are dead already they were welders by trade both lung issues,took them out pre 50 

I have heard that it can be hard on the lungs/body if one isn't careful. Our school had a great exhaust system, likely for liability issues, but I knew it wasn't like that in the real world.

Just now, ManOnManOral said:

Maybe because you worked in a nuclear plant and the guys did not want a melt down to occur.😁

Welders can be a funny bunch. My father worked pipeline his whole life and he told me welders were referred to as turkeys as they kept to themselves pretty much and had an odd disposition about them.

The welders at my work, imo, were also similar but more in the fact they thought it was an elite/special trade. Welders were always in demand but you had to be a mechanic in order to weld. They might have been afraid of being shown up or something other, but in their defense, with all the regs/rules/procs, it wasn't easy just to grab a welding rod and start welding something up. 

I enjoyed it, got good at it and did very well considering the teacher didn't care for me a whole lot for some reason? 

44 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I have one and can do shitty farm style quick fix shit . but. bring my good shit to a pro to be done well I know my limitations and I just deduct all welding jobs as biz expence anyway 

Farming\logging communities are sure different. Almost everyone can weld pretty well. Just part of life 

41 minutes ago, irv said:

I really enjoy welding but I’d never want it as a job 

• Like 1

Just now, Tickle Shits said:

Farming\logging communities are sure different. Almost everyone can weld pretty well. Just part of life 

like i said i can stick shit together make it hold . but not the nice consistant puddels . i could if I spent the time but the welder only comes out in a pinch when I have no time to drop shit off to get fixed 

3 hours ago, Anler said:

Good job preemtively telling Ben to fuck off.

Agreed.  Welding is a bit art, a bit science.  I’m no roll of dimes guy, but can run a bead and understand the basics.  Had a welding set up in my shop back in the day.

Lincoln 225 buzz box. I'd be lost without it. I really don't give a shit how it looks, I only care if the weld is strong. 

Use it mostly for my mowers and utility trailer. 

10 hours ago, BOHICA said:

One of my mechanics at work told me to get that for diy/hobby type use.  I was looking at a miller multiprocess but he told me not to waste my money and get the titanium series from harbor freight.

i may just buy a harbor freight titanium tig dedicated unit instead of there multi process unit when I need to build headers for my pickup.

Well harbor freight does not make a AC/DC Tig welder only DC which means no aluminum. There are some really nice AC/DC Tig units out there as well as multi process. Look at Prime weld, AHP and Everlast.

9 hours ago, awful knawful said:

Nice. I got an esab this summer.

Put floor/ trunk on my 56 Chevy. Made a few projects. I'm not too shabby. Good welder helps for sure.

Where's the pics of the welding, you big faggot???

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, dz246 said:

I've been welding for 14 years. Run Miller's at work, but have a Hobart 210 I use at home. Just keep practicing and learn how to set the machine.

One of those things I have always wanted to learn...I should check the local community college for a class.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
51 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

One of those things I have always wanted to learn...I should check the local community college for a class.

IVe been saying that for 15 yrs. Seems Ive always had someone ( bud, neighbor) nearby that was good at it. But always wanted to learn.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Getting taught properly makes it so much easier. 

I learned aluminum from a college instructor, it was amazing how easy it was being taught correctly. :bc: 

1 minute ago, bussman said:

No shit, welcome to freshman year of high school. lol

yup

arc weld was my first attempt. I can run a mig pretty good as well as tig. Aluminum or steel

Just now, bussman said:

Getting taught properly makes it so much easier. 

I learned aluminum from a college instructor, it was amazing how easy it was being taught correctly. :bc: 

Having the right equipment helps too

One thing you will find is the better the welding machine you use is the better your welds will be. A shop I worked at had an Airco 3 phase welder near 100% duty cycle, my welds were far better with that machine than most other welders I used.

1 hour ago, 1jkw said:

One thing you will find is the better the welding machine you use is the better your welds will be. A shop I worked at had an Airco 3 phase welder near 100% duty cycle, my welds were far better with that machine than most other welders I used.

Setup and technique have just as much to do with a good weld.  We have Miller Dynasty 350s at work that are as about as high end as a Tig welder gets and they do a nice job but my little cheap inverter Tig can do much of the same as long as you stay inside of it's operating ranges.

3 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Setup and technique have just as much to do with a good weld.  We have Miller Dynasty 350s at work that are as about as high end as a Tig welder gets and they do a nice job but my little cheap inverter Tig can do much of the same as long as you stay inside of it's operating ranges.

Is the dynasty water cooled?

Just now, Pete said:

Is the dynasty water cooled?

Of course. You can't do any production over an extended period without a water cooled torch. What the Dynasty does better than my cheap welder is low amp control. When you are welding crazy thin material the control is superior on the Dynasty but for 15k it should be.