Check your account email address ×

Bernie Sanders Won't Yet Explain Details Of How To Pay For Medicare For All

• Platinum Contributing Member

Bernie Sanders doesn't plan on releasing a detailed plan of how to finance his single-payer Medicare for All plan, he told CNBC's John Harwood on Tuesday.

"You're asking me to come up with an exact detailed plan of how every American — how much you're going to pay more in taxes, how much I'm going to pay," he said. "I don't think I have to do that right now."

The Vermont senator explained that before getting to his detailed financing plan, he wants Americans to understand that they currently pay more for health care than people in other countries.

"The fight right now is to get the American people to understand that we're spending twice as much per capita — that of course, we can pay for it," he said. "We're paying it now in a very reactionary, regressive way. I want to pay for it in a progressive way."

His comments come as Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren — who backs Sanders' Medicare for All plan — is being pressed on how she would want the country to pay for such a plan. She has said she will be releasing a plan for financing Medicare for All in the coming weeks.

Harwood asked Sanders if he thinks it's foolish for Warren to release her own detailed plan. Sanders said he doesn't.

we currently pay more for medical insurance than any other country on earth.  The funds already exist and are being taken from either the employer or employee or both through HC premiums.  Those premiums go away and then you pay it in taxes.  properly run it nets out the same to lower for the majority and your nor beholden to an employer for your insurance.  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

we currently pay more for medical insurance than any other country on earth.  The funds already exist and are being taken from either the employer or employee or both through HC premiums.  Those premiums go away and then you pay it in taxes.  properly run it nets out the same to lower for the majority and your nor beholden to an employer for your insurance.  

You are paying likely 4 times more than other comparable countries for the same HC coverage with less deductable. :flush:

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

Americans think it actually costs $5000 to fix a broken arm.

It doesn't, it costs about $700 but because there are so many people with their hands out between the patient and the doctor it costs 5 grand to set and cast an arm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Their plans are rape Americans 

No one deserves to accumulate money except the people like crazy Bernie and chief spreading bull 

Who pays for the healthcare now?

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Their plans are rape Americans 

No one deserves to accumulate money except the people like crazy Bernie and chief spreading bull 

4 minutes ago, Anler said:

Who pays for the healthcare now?

Yeah Pete....who pays now? 

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

You trust the government to properly run it?

• Sad 1

Simple create NHC and let people choose if they want to stay with private HI.   Don't force anyone in and don't tax those that opt out.   Doctors also cannot be forced to charge less than the private system.   See how that goes.   :lmao:

Honest question.   What do you do with the value of the private HI companies currently in business?   "Fuck them" is not a legitimate, realistic answer.   What does the govt do buy them at FMV?

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, Anler said:

Right so you are just like the people who want govt healthcare, you just want someone else to pay for it. 

I’ve never complained about paying for my Cadillac plan.....  it’s well worth it to pay for it with my labor.  Just don’t want to have to pay for sub standard healthcare that the government would provide in a Medicare for all plan.

Just now, BOHICA said:

I’ve never complained about paying for my Cadillac plan.....  it’s well worth it to pay for it with my labor.  Just don’t want to have to pay for sub standard healthcare that the government would provide in a Medicare for all plan.

I think everyone should pay for their own healthcare  :bc:

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Honest question.   What do you do with the value of the private HI companies currently in business?   "Fuck them" is not a legitimate, realistic answer.   What does the govt do buy them at FMV?

government would need to buy a couple to administer a single payer plan.  The rest can branch out to supplemental insurance ducts,  those that don't want to adapt will die off just like many other jobs/companies have in the past.