Check your account email address ×

Morgan Stanley: If the trade war escalates, a recession will be here in 9 months

Morgan Stanley: If the trade war escalates, a recession will be here in 9 months

Source: CNBC

If the U.S. continues to raise a wall of tariffs on Chinese goods in the coming months and China responds, expect a global recession in three quarters, Morgan Stanley said Monday. 

“As we view the risk of further escalation as high, the risks to the global outlook are decidedly skewed to the downside,” Morgan Stanley chief economist Chetan Ahya said. The firm believes a global recession will come in about nine months if the trade war further escalates through the U.S. raising tariffs to 25% “on all imports from China for 4-6 months,” Ahya said. “We would see the global economy entering recession in three quarters,” he said in a note to investors. 

President Donald Trump on Thursday unexpectedly announced that, beginning Sept. 1, the U.S. will add levies of 10% on the remaining $300 billion in Chinese imports that had not previously faced duties. These new tariffs “raise downside risks significantly,” Ahya said. 

Read more: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/05/morgan-stanley-escalating-trade-war-means-global-recession-is-coming.html

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Snake said:

Like the 3 we were supposed to have?

I thought one was imminent just because of the tax cuts.  

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I have work locked up thru next august. Cant speak for after that. 

Just now, Edmo said:

We should just get along and let China eat our lunch. It’s the right thing to do!!!!!!!1

I think there is more going on with China than just trade. 

9 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Right?!

I’ll bet anyone if we get a dem president in 2020 that supports getting tough on China MC will flip flop so fast he’ll hurt himself.

:news: 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Anler said:

I think there is more going on with China than just trade. 

The whole deal with them and Iranian Oil is sure to tweak the fuck out of Trump....hopefully he stays the course.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

The whole deal with them and Iranian Oil is sure to tweak the fuck out of Trump....hopefully he stays the course.

Kinda what I am getting at. We just sold a bunch of weapons to Taiwan. Me thinks someone is kicking the bee hive here. And not because of tariffs. 

If anyone here thinks a 20% tariff on Chinese imports won’t have an effect on our economy your fuckin retarded. Add another 10% to that sept. 1 and we are cooked. Middle class America will stop buying and it’s over. Home sales will stop and bank foreclosures will finish it off. After Trumps 1.5 trillion tax giveaways there is no bailout money left. The fed is already giving money away. If your puffing your chests and saying look how great the market has done remember only 40% of Americans are invested in it.

but hey what the fuck do I know.

14 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

If anyone here thinks a 20% tariff on Chinese imports won’t have an effect on our economy your fuckin retarded. Add another 10% to that sept. 1 and we are cooked. Middle class America will stop buying and it’s over. Home sales will stop and bank foreclosures will finish it off. After Trumps 1.5 trillion tax giveaways there is no bailout money left. The fed is already giving money away. If your puffing your chests and saying look how great the market has done remember only 40% of Americans are invested in it.

but hey what the fuck do I know.

Is it quicker to New York or by bus?

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

One was imminent the moment they found out Donald Trump won the election.  Krugmen said the economy might not ever recover.  :lol:

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

Morgan Stanley has been predicting recession for a year.  They are one of 10,000 opinions out there every day.

Heard the same prediction made last year we would see a small turndown in 2019.  OEM backlogs are down right now.  Business investment is slowing down but consumer spending is still  up.

55 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

One was imminent the moment they found out Donald Trump won the election.  Krugmen said the economy might not ever recover.  :lol:

Heard the same prediction made last year we would see a small turndown in 2019.  OEM backlogs are down right now.  Business investment is slowing down but consumer spending is still  up.

We're still cranking on all cylinders as are all OEMs.  Last Two years being the busiest in decades.  Keep rolling.

8 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

6 minutes ago, Anler said:

President Warren... :lol: 

Dude has spit the bit.