Check your account email address ×

GM and rust.

2011 175k Malibu and had 2 spots repairs in December and now have its 3rd spot creeping up.

Trying to decide if I repair it and send it down the road or if I keep commuting in it until it is dead.

The 2012 or so generation of Silverados is rusting just as bad as the 98-02 generation.  Glad I didn't buy one of those.  

4 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Most of the domestic junk rusts way to soon. If I see rust on a Toyota, it's at least 20 years old.

Run it through a Minnesota winter with whatever the hell it is MNDOT puts on the road and it'll be rusted in half by March.

Imo, it is imperative now that every vehicle get undercoated/rust proofed annually or at least semi annually. As has been mentioned, shitty/thin metal seems to be the norm today and with ever changing formulas in ice/road clearing products, it is a must have! 

• Platinum Contributing Member

My 14 is rust free,.. The wheels fell apart, but Zero rust on the body. But I do wash it year round, and I'm not lazy

10 hours ago, snoughnut said:

Most of the domestic junk rusts way to soon. If I see rust on a Toyota, it's at least 20 years old.

My neighbor has a corolla that’s about 10 years old and is rusty as hell. I never saw him wash it once. Take care of your stuff or don’t...your choice.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Edmo said:

My neighbor has a corolla that’s about 10 years old and is rusty as hell. I never saw him wash it once. Take care of your stuff or don’t...your choice.

My son has a '97 Camry that just started rusting in one spot 3 years ago and has spent it's whole life in WI and MN. All I'm saying is that from what I've observed, domestics rust considerably faster than foreign. Don't think I've ever seen a rusty Tundra.

3 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

My son has a '97 Camry that just started rusting in one spot 3 years ago and has spent it's whole life in WI and MN. All I'm saying is that from what I've observed, domestics rust considerably faster than foreign. Don't think I've ever seen a rusty Tundra.

And most of the late model ones have a new frame under them. Toyota sure stepped the fuck up on that one.

12 hours ago, spin_dry said:

What’s with the 5 year old suburbans with rust on the doors and rocker? That’s so bad. 

My 09 Denali is still spotless. My kid has it now and he takes pretty good care of it. I always washed it after a trip 2 maine and I think that's part of what keeps them nice.

Edited by s pump
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, snoughnut said:

You do recall that they replaced all the frames on Tacoma's for free because they rusted-out.

Just now, s pump said:

You do recall that they replaced all the frames on Tacoma's for free because they rusted-out.

Wish every manufacturer stepped up like that. :news:

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

Wish every manufacturer stepped up like that. :news:

Right? Just found out my current truck has an extended warranty and free oil changes for the first 60,000 miles. Nice little bonus.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, s pump said:

I'm sure you'll get some exceptions here and there but overall domestics rust faster. Not to mention, I was referring to the vehicle bodies.

Toyota pays 2 techs close to 40 hours to do the swap.

2 guys can do 1-1.5 frames a day.

Dealership makes about $13k per.

Edited by Snake