Check your account email address ×

Where were you September 11, 2001???

The song in the music thread got me wondering were everyone was on September 11, 2001 when the first plane hit the tower?

I was at an outdoor retailer show in Manchester, NH. Everyone ran to the lobby to watch the live news on the TV's. Very strange later that day to see no air traffic in the sky.

• Like 1

Eating lunch at an Applebee's with a client.  Everybody was focused on the TV's including all the hired help.  It was the quietest I've ever seen while in public place.  You could hear yourself chewing....slowly.  Like some shit out of a Steven King novel.  

I was changing a A/C compressor , called the shop to find out why the Freon hadn't been delivered, they said come back and get it when I got there they had a small tv on , couldn't believe what had happened.

• Platinum Contributing Member

I was building handrail at a huge mansion atop sugar hill in NH. watched the second plane hit on an old black/ white 12" tv with rabbit ears we found in the garage. 

I was in 5th grade in one of the shitty portable building. They wheeled in a TV and we watched whatwas going on. Funny stuff like that sticks with you...

Loading precast panels on a trailer with tower crane. Truck driver had the TV on in his bunk when it first happened. Then we brought the TV out so everyone in the yard crew could watch.

9 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

I was in 5th grade in one of the shitty portable building. They wheeled in a TV and we watched whatwas going on. Funny stuff like that sticks with you...

I think everyone that is old enough to have a memory knows where they were on 9/11/01 :bc:

1 hour ago, ckf said:

The song in the music thread got me wondering were everyone was on September 11, 2001 when the first plane hit the tower?

I was at an outdoor retailer show in Manchester, NH. Everyone ran to the lobby to watch the live news on the TV's. Very strange later that day to see no air traffic in the sky.

I was at work in Nashua NH that picture perfect day .  Remember it like it was yesterday .  Also , It was the same thing at the airport here , really busy with small planes , I remember how strange it was not seeing any traffic .  :bc:

57 minutes ago, ckf said:

I think everyone that is old enough to have a memory knows where they were on 9/11/01 :bc:

I don't remember the date but I remember my mom picking me up in our 72 Impala and telling me that Elvis died. It was summer because I was at the park / ball fields. 1977. I was 7

Setting up forms for concrete sidewalk..  Had radio on listening to the events.  My brother, who lived near Omaha, caught a glimpse of air force one flying into offutt afb that day...   With cover from a pair of fighter jets

I was at work in a factory. We had the radio on and heard the news. Everyone just stopped working. The manager turned the radio up so we could hear it better. Nobody wanted to work and we just wanted to go home so we could watch it on t.v.. they made us stay until the end of the day. The fallout from it caused many layoffs including a permanent plant shutdown where I was working. It put over 50 of us out of work. 

22 minutes ago, Ebsell said:

Wife and I were grading oysters when we heard it on the radio. Rushed into the house and turned on the TV in disbelief 

I was on dayshift...sitting in shop and foreman came in a said plane just hit the tower....comes back in a bit later said another one hit.

Working on a house on the lake and my wife called and said a small plane had hit one  of the Towers and if I remember correctly the early reports mentioned a Cessna....we listened as best we could on the radio but stayed in the job. She was home with our daughter who was 18 months old and The Home Depot window installer.

I was in elementary school in NJ, I had to make some copies for a teacher so I walked to the office and before they noticed me and changed the subject I realized they were talking about a plane hitting a building in NYC. It was a surreal day around here for sure. I had friends whose parents worked in the towers(they all made it out), an Aunt who worked in  building 4 or 5 of the WTC complex that it took the family a while to get a hold of, and parents were picking them up from school left and right.

They had TV's tuned to the news in the lunchroom, but being the bum ass kid I was I hadn't done my homework for English class, I was stuck writing about The Hobbit while everyone else got to learn what was going on.

When I got home we drove a couple blocks to a vantage point and looked at the smoke billowing from where the towers used to be.

Heard something about a plane hitting a building in the morning, then in school my teacher was talking about it.  His daughter's friend's mom was in one of the buildings.  I thought "what kind of stupid pilot flies a plane into a building?"  Didn't even know what a terrorist was at that time.

12 hours ago, Shifty said:

I was building handrail at a huge mansion atop sugar hill in NH. watched the second plane hit on an old black/ white 12" tv with rabbit ears we found in the garage. 

Same here.

Left to go to work thinking it was accident .

Definitely, an event that changed the Country for good.

Probably the last  time this Country  was united.

We were all just Americans that day.

I don't see this ever being the case again.

everything is politicized now. 

Was at work.   Turned on the news on a TV we had here.   Remember saying there was no way it was a small plane (as they were reporting) seeing the size of the hole in a building that large.  Couldn't believe anyone could have thought that.  Immediately thought it was terrorism.  

Normally I don't care for anyone from Hollywierd but in this interview Russle actually makes sense. Only reason I bring it up is because it involves his views on terrorism and guns. 

Don't listen to the first minute or 2  that's not the interview lol  he sets a liberal anti gun nut in his place pretty good 

Edited by Ebsell

I remember it like it was yesterday.  It was the day after my 2 year wedding anniversary.  I was at home in bed.  I was working on afternoon shift balancing drive shafts back then.  I heard the phone ring. Didn't get up to answer it because I knew I wouldn't get to it in time to answer it . But the answering machine didn't pick up either. I'd check the caller ID in a few.  As I was in the bathroom taking a leak shortly after the first call,  the phone started ringing again.  This time the answering machine picked up.  It was my mom calling me from  her work.  "hi it's mom, call me back as soon as possible. A plane has hit one of the twin towers of the world trade center in NY. I bet this is a terrorist attack."    

I knew right away when she told me what happened that it was a terrorist attack. I got out of the bathroom and went into the living room and turned on the TV and made a pot of coffee.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  I knew this wasn't an accident, and no way a small plane did that like they were saying on TV. I sat there in disbelief as I watched and hadn't even poured a cup of coffee yet because I didn't want to get away from the TV.   Finally, I got up and was in the kitchen  pouring a cup of coffee talking to my mom on the phone when she said "oh my god no, another one".  I said  what?  She said "another plane just hit the other tower"     I ran back to the TV.   It seemed like a bad dream, or a movie.  There was now way this was happening.   I dont remember if it was before or after the 2nd plane hit, but I heard multiple F16s take off from Selfridge Air National Guard base,  And they were moving out, fast.   Thats when it really hit me that awful things were happening that day, and it could possibly get worse.  Those fighters were scrambled for a reason.  I remember my son (who was just barely 10 months old) was awakened by those fighters they took off so fast and flew away in a hurry. I went to work that afternoon, but we were given the option to work a full day or 1/2 day. Everyone worked a 1/2 day that day. It was one of the craziest days of my life and I'll never forget it as long as I live.