Check your account email address ×

Winter 2017

On 2017-02-24 at 1:40 PM, 02sled said:

I like the drone idea....the ITG states it is only a guide and depending on the club I have seen updates made more frequently than the twice a week. Sometimes much more frequently. The only cautionary aspect is that you have to careful of how many cooks you let stir the pot. Imagine two different people from the same club with differing assessments trying to update at the same time. I think that having someone at the district level who is responsive when a club rep gives them updates should work effectively. It really comes down to the clubs. The reason I suggested actually checking trails before updating status was considering things like the trail is good today, tomorrow there is a tree down across it due to snowfall or suddenly there's water across the trail thanks to some diligent beavers.

I believe the two dates as minimum were to have Thursday to allow people to plan on Friday for the coming weekend (busiest) and Tuesday after the club has been out on Monday grooming to assess and repair any of the fallout from the weekend.

There once was a time when snowmobiles were used to access remote areas.  Or areas that prviously could only be reached with a long cross country ski or walk in snowshoes.  God how did man survive.

There used to be a time when there was at best a paper map, some arrows on trees and you rode.  You got what you found.  Take what you got and if you had to move a tree, go around an obstacle or thru a creek you did to ride.

Shit handle bar heaters were a serious upgrade to many sleds (mine included) when they were introduced.

Now we have a bunch of whiny cry baby suck ass sledders who complain if trails are not groomed daily, complain if god forbid a green is not changed to yellow immediately.

Fuck people used to ride 25 or 30 miles with friends in a group outing and be happy.  Now its got to be a 200km race day on pristine trails or people bitch and complain.  That trail was not groomed since Thursday!  Oh my god lets complain to the volunteers!

Volunteers will never do enough to satisfy the masses as long as the mentality that exists today continues.  

Until people change what the sport is and the expectations then this sport will suffer.  Aslong as manufacturers promote high horespower king of lake high dollar sleds over small family affordable 340 or 440 sleds the sport will die.  

As for the drone idea i hope AC was joking.  I know 02 was likely serious.

Cry babies whine on!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Sksman said:

There once was a time when snowmobiles were used to access remote areas.  Or areas that prviously could only be reached with a long cross country ski or walk in snowshoes.  God how did man survive.

There used to be a time when there was at best a paper map, some arrows on trees and you rode.  You got what you found.  Take what you got and if you had to move a tree, go around an obstacle or thru a creek you did to ride.

Shit handle bar heaters were a serious upgrade to many sleds (mine included) when they were introduced.

Now we have a bunch of whiny cry baby suck ass sledders who complain if trails are not groomed daily, complain if god forbid a green is not changed to yellow immediately.

Fuck people used to ride 25 or 30 miles with friends in a group outing and be happy.  Now its got to be a 200km race day on pristine trails or people bitch and complain.  That trail was not groomed since Thursday!  Oh my god lets complain to the volunteers!

Volunteers will never do enough to satisfy the masses as long as the mentality that exists today continues.  

Until people change what the sport is and the expectations then this sport will suffer.  Aslong as manufacturers promote high horespower king of lake high dollar sleds over small family affordable 340 or 440 sleds the sport will die.  

Cry babies whine on!

Actually I was no more serious about a drone than AC was.... but hey let's just roll back the clock to the good old days. Let's groom the trails by dragging old bed springs around. Are you perhaps kidding when you suggest everyone should be riding 340 or 440 sleds or the sport will die.

Edited by 02sled

19 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Actually I was no more serious about a drone than AC was.... but hey let's just roll back the clock to the good old days. Let's groom the trails by dragging old bed springs around. Are you perhaps kidding when you suggest everyone should be riding 340 or 440 sleds or the sport will die.

Not kidding when i say manufacturers need to offer an affordable low dollar entry class machine for the average family to enter the game or the game will end.

When you hear everyday higher bills and fewer fulltime jobs at lower pay then you wonder what will happen in 10 years anyhow.

Will sledding soon be for government employees only as they will be only ones who can afford with time off?

40 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Cry babies whine on!

Gospel ! 

7 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Not kidding when i say manufacturers need to offer an affordable low dollar entry class machine for the average family to enter the game or the game will end.

When you hear everyday higher bills and fewer fulltime jobs at lower pay then you wonder what will happen in 10 years anyhow.

Will sledding soon be for government employees only as they will be only ones who can afford with time off?

Perhaps you will see something more basic more affordable than what is available today. BRP did that with the Seadoo Spark. Everything in the recreational arena is getting pricey though. I hear so many lamenting as an example the cost of ice time for their kids to play hockey. Someone getting into the sport doesn't necessarily need to buy new though. They do have the option of buying a good used sled. I know of people happily riding around on used $3500 - $4000 sleds.

Sksman, I think you kinda missed my point, so let me try again. LOL

I don,t think most of us are whining, unless you are thinking of puzzler. I think most of us on here are trying to be responsible sledders, we have been told that if the trails are marked red, we should not be on them, and again, most of us don,t want any more trails closed by generous landowners.

IF some clubs only update their trails twice a week, and the trails you wanted to travel on are identified as red, would you, or would you not travel on those trails ?  My point, is that the trail bosses for each district should at least update their trail status overnite, so anyone starting out in the morning at least gets to enjoy the day, thinking they are doing the right thing.  

The majority of sleds purchased new today are financed (guys who can't afford them).  So, even if sled prices go up 100%, guys will still buy them on credit.  If guys will buy a truck over 84 months, they'll certainly buy a sled over 48.  Look at the new boat market...... mortgages essentially. 

And new sled prices are not out of line with any other toy, really.  How cheap can they make them?  And there are plenty of sleds in the $8000 range.  Let's face it..... our wages go up, our houses are worth well over a million..... is $17,000 out of line for a well engineered snowmobile?  A good mountain bike is $3000+....... think about it. 

31 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Edited by Puzzleboy

20 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Perhaps you will see something more basic more affordable than what is available today. BRP did that with the Seadoo Spark. Everything in the recreational arena is getting pricey though. I hear so many lamenting as an example the cost of ice time for their kids to play hockey. Someone getting into the sport doesn't necessarily need to buy new though. They do have the option of buying a good used sled. I know of people happily riding around on used $3500 - $4000 sleds.

Nothing wrong with used and no different than any other purchase.  I like to buy new and keep them for a while. 

20 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

The majority of sleds purchased new today are financed (guys who can't afford them).  So, even if sled prices go up 100%, guys will still buy them on credit.  If guys will buy a truck over 84 months, they'll certainly buy a sled over 48.  Look at the new boat market...... mortgages essentially. 

And new sled prices are not out of line with any other toy, really.  How cheap can they make them?  And there are plenty of sleds in the $8000 range.  Let's face it..... our wages go up, our houses are worth well over a million..... is $17,000 out of line for a well engineered snowmobile?  A good mountain bike is $3000+....... think about it. 

Plus Cat and others offer 0%. I'll keep my money in the bank and make money off it while I borrow money for essentially nothing if I can.  Can be smart.

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

Cry babies whine on!

I see a trend....... Thru the years. Just a look at the average sled used back then.

70's.   340 fan maybe 36 hp

80's.   340 L/C maybe 60 hp

90's.   500 L/C maybe 85 hp

00's.    600 L/C maybe 115 hp

10's.     800 L/C maybe 155 hp

And now we are into turbo's hitting 200+ hp......

Where did all the 250,300,340,440 sleds go? I know most 14 yr old kids today would be embarrassed to ride anything below a 600.

When Yamaha was #1 in sales it wasn't from selling SRX's. They sold boat loads of ET 250,300 and 340's