Check your account email address ×

Winter 2017

7 hours ago, 02sled said:

With dogs you'll never have a good lawn. Just the way it is

Oh I know and could care less.  We've had dogs for almost 20 years and always had most of it, certainly not manicured, but now it's  completely  gone. Either I replace it again or fake. 

40 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Oh I know and could care less.  We've had dogs for almost 20 years and always had most of it, certainly not manicured, but now it's  completely  gone. Either I replace it again or fake. 

One of our neighbors built a sandbox in the corner of his yard and trained the dog to use it. Our golden retriever translated to a very patchy yard at best with the typical dreaded spring clean up. But they are worth it

15 hours ago, Garth said:

Suds could be optimistic reporting too Puzzle. The trail by my house (Barrie area) was green all weekend but green it should not have been!

Unfortunately, from what I have been told, the OFSC only updates the trail site twice a week. If they want people to actually use the site as gospel, it should be updated in real time, several times each day.

• Platinum Contributing Member
15 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Unfortunately, from what I have been told, the OFSC only updates the trail site twice a week. If they want people to actually use the site as gospel, it should be updated in real time, several times each day.

The updating of the map is usually done by someone at the district. They can update the map on any day at any time. The minimum requirement is to update twice a week in order to maintain available status. As a general rule, Monday and Thursday.

Edited by Blackstar

2 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Who's going to provide the information for those updates. It starts with the club rep actually assessing the status of the trail. I don't know of any clubs that could cover all of their trails multiple times a day.

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

Who's going to provide the information for those updates. It starts with the club rep actually assessing the status of the trail. I don't know of any clubs that could cover all of their trails multiple times a day.

I hear you, but if the OFSC wants us to use their site as gospel, trail updates at the minimum of twice a week doesn,t cut it.

Maybe each club trail boss could have access to being able to update their trails from a home computer, or some other device, on a minimum of a daily basis.  If, for example, a group checks the OFSC site, say Wednesday night, to plan a trip for Thursday, and the trails are yellow or green, they are going to go ahead with their plan, even thou the trails they ride on Thursday should of been switched to red.

I highly doubt that you would actually have to cover all your own trails to know if they should be marked, red, yellow, or green.

Maybe they could send out camera equipped drones. LOL

Unfortunately, as it is now, IF gates aren,t closed, sledders will run the trails til they decide whether they are suitable, or not.....

I feel we do need a much better system to update existing trail conditions. Its not that the OFSC doesn,t have people around that could make something like that happen, if they wanted to. LOL

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

I hear you, but if the OFSC wants us to use their site as gospel, trail updates at the minimum of twice a week doesn,t cut it.

Maybe each club trail boss could have access to being able to update their trails from a home computer, or some other device, on a minimum of a daily basis.  If, for example, a group checks the OFSC site, say Wednesday night, to plan a trip for Thursday, and the trails are yellow or green, they are going to go ahead with their plan, even thou the trails they ride on Thursday should of been switched to red.

I highly doubt that you would actually have to cover all your own trails to know if they should be marked, red, yellow, or green.

Maybe they could send out camera equipped drones. LOL

Unfortunately, as it is now, IF gates aren,t closed, sledders will run the trails til they decide whether they are suitable, or not.....

I feel we do need a much better system to update existing trail conditions. Its not that the OFSC doesn,t have people around that could make something like that happen, if they wanted to. LOL

I like the drone idea....the ITG states it is only a guide and depending on the club I have seen updates made more frequently than the twice a week. Sometimes much more frequently. The only cautionary aspect is that you have to careful of how many cooks you let stir the pot. Imagine two different people from the same club with differing assessments trying to update at the same time. I think that having someone at the district level who is responsive when a club rep gives them updates should work effectively. It really comes down to the clubs. The reason I suggested actually checking trails before updating status was considering things like the trail is good today, tomorrow there is a tree down across it due to snowfall or suddenly there's water across the trail thanks to some diligent beavers.

I believe the two dates as minimum were to have Thursday to allow people to plan on Friday for the coming weekend (busiest) and Tuesday after the club has been out on Monday grooming to assess and repair any of the fallout from the weekend.

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎22 at 1:04 PM, Puzzleboy said:

I leave FS for just a few hours, and 02 is nearly on suicide watch!  What did you guys do to the poor fella? 

Sorry we struck a nerve Cliff 02.  The entire episode was posted on the old FS in detail.  I believe you were replaced by a 13 year old kid named Parvinder in Mumbai, for a fraction of your salary.  Just how it goes.......

Take it easy on Cliffy. He had a tough childhood, got picked on at school every day, no friends, mommy had to buy him a pony and take hi with her to ride just to get away from his bullies.

I don't post trail reports very often, but when I do they are very accurate. I appreciate when other sledders who ride the trails do the same.

OFSC trail map is used as a guide for me, when I see red, I ask questions on FS and usually someone responds.

14 minutes ago, yarddawg said:

I don't post trail reports very often, but when I do they are very accurate. I appreciate when other sledders who ride the trails do the same.

OFSC trail map is used as a guide for me, when I see red, I ask questions on FS and usually someone responds.

Ya , you'll get a response , nothing to do with the trail conditions , but you'll get a response :)

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, smokin george said:

The weatherman looked out the basement window and saw his shadow. Another couple of weeks of winter after next weekend. Minus Temps and 20+ cms of snow. Get your sleds out of storage lol

George , don't believe everything you read on the net ....... 

Except Batman , always believe in Batman . 

52 minutes ago, bladefever said:

Most of us take a colouring book and have a hard if not impossible time staying inside the lines.......

And you want us to stay on topic......

Hold on , we're suppose to colour inside the lines ........ 

All these years I was doing it wrong . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smokin george said:

The weatherman looked out the basement window and saw his shadow. Another couple of weeks of winter after next weekend. Minus Temps and 20+ cms of snow. Get your sleds out of storage lol

It will turn around. Twin mountains is still Limited.... 

Edited by Yukon Cornelious