***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

People eat with their eyes when it comes to beef which is okay when it comes to ground Beef. The problem is stores want shelf life so they are selling it to fresh but beef needs to break down or some call it wet ageing it has to be 3-6 week old for it to really eat good. Dry aging I can not stand it it taste like mold to me. Don't let anyone fool you the 90% of the best beef in the world comes from the Midwestern states of the good old USA and we all buy from the same packing houses. 

Edited by Badger**

4 minutes ago, Axys1 said:

People eat with their eyes when it comes to beef which is okay when it comes to ground Beef. The problem is stores want shelf life so they are selling it to fresh but beef needs to break down or some call it wet ageing it has to be 3-6 week old for it to really eat good. Dry aging I can not stand it it taste like mold to me. Don't let anyone fool you the 90% of the best beef in the world comes from the Midwestern states of the good old USA and we all buy from the same packing houses. 

I like the flavor of a dry aged steak... :dunno:

Just now, Anler said:

I like the flavor of a dry aged steak... :dunno:

I just could have fucked it up for you sorry ignore my comment. This is how it all started for me and now thats all can taste. Forget I ever said that. :bc:

8 minutes ago, Axys1 said:

Guys put a tray of water in the cookers it will help keep the moister up on your meat.:bc:

I do when smoking leaner stuff but I've found that the Butts are plenty fatty to keep them moist IMO

7 minutes ago, Axys1 said:

Guys put a tray of water in the cookers it will help keep the moister up on your meat.:bc:

I add water to the drip tray :bc:  The pork is on the kettle.

20160526-IMG_0747.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

A few butts a couple of weeks ago.  Gonna do ribs, brats and wings this weekend.  Smoked wings are DELISH!!!!!!!!

smoker.jpg

I've got ribs and brats for this weekend too :good:

• Like 1

Just now, Zambroski said:

I'd like to get some brisket going again but I just don't have the patience for that shit.  I'm gonna try and get better at it this year. That stuff is tough to do right.

I haven't tried a brisket yet. On my list for this summer.

Do you guys wrap your pork shoulders in foil or butchers paper to help get over the stall?

7 minutes ago, ckf said:

I haven't tried a brisket yet. On my list for this summer.

Do you guys wrap your pork shoulders in foil or butchers paper to help get over the stall?

Man...so many do that different.  I just crank up the heat and ride it through.  It works better for me too because I can take it off about 2 hours earlier.  Just as good IMO.  Oh...and doing that also gives it a harder, crunchier bark.  I like it that way.

Edited by Zambroski
  • Like 1

tried a brisket a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately it was a store bought trimmed up one. Impulse buy, figured why not.  

Injected it with beef broth let it sit overnight and spiced it up. kept a spritzer with beef broth, Worchester, dash of apple cider vinegar (not too much though) and every hour or so gave it a wet down. Traeger grill , 3 hours on smoke and finish on 225 until it hit 195.

Damn thing came out pretty damn good. Not tough a bit dry on the edges but the spritzer was the ticket for keeping it moist. A full brisket would definitely cook better.

Still has a few hours to go in this pic

IMG_0296.JPG

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Roosting said:

tried a brisket a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately it was a store bought trimmed up one. Impulse buy, figured why not.  

Injected it with beef broth let it sit overnight and spiced it up. kept a spritzer with beef broth, Worchester, dash of apple cider vinegar (not too much though) and every hour or so gave it a wet down. Traeger grill , 3 hours on smoke and finish on 225 until it hit 195.

Damn thing came out pretty damn good. Not tough a bit dry on the edges but the spritzer was the ticket for keeping it moist. A full brisket would definitely cook better.

Still has a few hours to go in this pic

Looks awesome Z the key I think is you stayed on top of it and the injection help. Just beautiful guys your all master baiters  chiefs IMO. :bc:

If I didn't give it the spritzer it would have dried out half way through the cook.. Plus the injection starts it out with a bit more water content .

Shoulders I've found to have enough fat in them to not require any basting but I kinda like the bark

2 minutes ago, Roosting said:

If I didn't give it the spritzer it would have dried out half way through the cook.. Plus the injection starts it out with a bit more water content .

Shoulders I've found to have enough fat in them to not require any basting but I kinda like the bark

That's kind of what I was thinking. I didn't trim any of the fat cap off.

12 minutes ago, ckf said:

Almost 4 hours in to the cook. I just put the meat thermometer probe in the shoulder, 125°F.

IMG_0748.JPG

Way low.  You need to add some heat to this thing or you'll be tending it until Saturday night.  I was gonna ask with the "prep pick" but it seemed your coal source was sorta on the sparse side....but I don;t know what your grill.  Got an external thermometer?  It should be around 225.  The internal temp of the meat needs to get close to 200.

9 minutes ago, ckf said:

The smoker is running at 225°, meat is at 125°. Should I push it up to 275°?

The 225 mark needs to be as close to meat level as possible.  If your gauge is at the very top of your smoker, it's gonna read high.  Try getting rid of the water, and get the temp between 250-275 but keep an eye on it.  If it looks like the bark is getting overcooked, it's getting too hot.  Looking at your pic...it is undercooking.  At 4 hours at the right temps you should have a darker bark on it and noticably more shrinkage.  

Hey man...don't sweat it.  IMO, and contrary to what some may claim, this doesn't need to be an exact science.  My smoking can vary in temps throughout the process a lot and it always comes out fantastic.  Sometimes if I really pay attention it's super fantastic!  Shoulders are awesome because they are pretty much idiot-proof.  The fat saves the day on these things!  But damn....I have screwed up chicken and brisket......almost like I was trying to make dog food!

Edited by Zambroski

I used the meat probe to read the temp in the smoker. the probe was between the pork and the fire, closer to the pork. i'm sure it's cooler on the back side of the pork.internal temp is now up to 140°. Added a more charcoal and apple chunks and can regulate temperature with the bottom vent :bc: