Check your account email address ×

Eating out vs eating at home.

• Platinum Contributing Member

:pc:  In 1990 it was about equal to a bit more spent on eating at home.

This might be the biggest lie our govt has ever put out.

In 2023, food prices grew by 5.8 percent.

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2024/02/29/cereal-for-dinner-kelloggs-backlash-how-save-groceries-food-costs-tips-social-media-reaction/72786974007/

Food-at-home spending increased from $954.7 billion in 2021 to $1.05 trillion in 2022, the USDA said.

Food-away-from-home spending increased from $1.16 trillion in 2021 to $1.34 trillion in 2022.

Food-away-from-home spending accounted for 56 percent of total food expenditures in 2022.

i eat at home a lot to eat healthy but go out at least once a week. like my buddy said, paying for a chicken dish what used to be a lobster dinner. 20.00 hamburgers and even higher. 10.00 pints the norm. we have a local brewery that has very reasonable prices. cool owners . closes at 10. no fights or bar bs. sunday is 5.00 apps. 10 wings for 5.00 is a good deal. and they are killer

https://oldfactorybrewing.com/

• Like 3

My wife prefers if I do my "eating out" at home even though I've offered her many options. 

3 minutes ago, HSR said:

My wife prefers if I do my "eating out" at home even though I've offered her many options. 

i think they are talking about eating that has caloric intake...

we have family in town from Colorado... nephew lives in Denver and told my wife he spent over $4K on Uber Eats last year.

she handed him a cookbook and told him to to take a basis economics class 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Florida news?

Its just the reporting....not the source.

Consumers are now spending more than 11 percent of their disposable income on food, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Edited by Highmark

31 minutes ago, HSR said:

my neighbors are still trying to figure out who "oh god" is :bc:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

we have family in town from Colorado... nephew lives in Denver and told my wife he spent over $4K on Uber Eats last year.

she handed him a cookbook and told him to to take a basis economics class 

Dude I snowplow for spends over 2000 a month eating out. I don't think he even knows how to make a grilled cheese 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, steve from amherst said:

Dude I snowplow for spends over 2000 a month eating out. I don't think he even knows how to make a grilled cheese 

he will find out the issues with sodium. that first kidney stone will be an eye opener

• Like 1

Home cooking and drinking is WAY cheaper at home. The way most restaurants cant find anyone that wants to work, food and service in this country is horrible. Some exceptions obviously.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Damn this year's eating out total is probably 1/3rd or less than usual for me with no biler trips. :sad:

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Damn this year's eating out total is probably 1/3rd or less than usual for me with no biler trips. :sad:

yep, that makes up about 75% of my dining out

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

Home cooking and drinking is WAY cheaper at home. The way most restaurants cant find anyone that wants to work, food and service in this country is horrible. Some exceptions obviously.   

worse yet , me or my old lady can make a lot of things better than eating out. how many times you order a dish , and realize you could do better. like a steak out. sometimes it's amazing , other times eh. i got some prime ny strips in guido's market in pittsfield mass a few weeks ago. they came out unreal. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sleepybrew said:

worse yet , me or my old lady can make a lot of things better than eating out. how many times you order a dish , and realize you could do better. like a steak out. sometimes it's amazing , other times eh. i got some prime ny strips in guido's market in pittsfield mass a few weeks ago. they came out unreal. 

I think that everytime I get wings. " I like my own best"

• Like 1

Inconsistency in food quality and flavor. I gave up on steaks out. I go to a good store with a great meat case. Buy my own and season them and get the weber out. Much better and cooked medium rare not over done. 

you can see a lot of us feel the same way. there are few restaurants that i "have " to have. now we have the fufu types, 25.00 for some decorations on a plate. many of those i look at the menu and realize, i don't want any of it. like food trucks we had one give it a go, had crepes. really? this is the mountains. i thought good old fashioned stuff like pepperoni sandwich , meatball, french dip etc. i think the local country boys would have slayed that. the crepe guy didn't make it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

Ditto, see... https://www.freedomsledder.com/index.php?/topic/59832-whats-for-dinner/

I make beef tenderloin quite often which with baby reds and a veggie is less than $30... and there'll be leftovers, as an example. 

During the week, we're more of a homemade meals type of family.  My wife enjoys cooking on the Blackstone and I like to use the GMG to smoke or grill stuff.  Even our youngest daughter does a good job of cooking & baking at home (she made banana/chocolate chip muffins last night which was a great way to kick off the day this morning!).  But, the weekends are where we fall off the wagon ... especially now, with being on the road so much for volleyball weekends.  We try to make something if we're in one of those "Home 2 Suites" type of places, and we also do a team potluck at least one night.  But still, too much eating out during the weekends.

Personally, I think the stats in the OP are complete bullshit.  Both, from the claim of only a 5.8% price increase - as well as the "away from home" number.  That percentage sure seems like it's gotta be higher than 56%.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Ditto, see... https://www.freedomsledder.com/index.php?/topic/59832-whats-for-dinner/

I make beef tenderloin quite often which with baby reds and a veggie is less than $30... and there'll be leftovers, as an example. 

When we’ve been doing the tenderloins, we try to get a nice 1.2-1.3 pounder, and the left overs are amazing the next day in a basic Stir Fry.  We watch for the expiring meat discounts and can grab a couple good ones, usually around $20 each.  Unless we are on vacation, we never ever eat out anymore.

Uber eats??  Wow, that cookbook you handed over should be like a gold bar to that kid…

6 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

When we’ve been doing the tenderloins, we try to get a nice 1.2-1.3 pounder, and the left overs are amazing the next day in a basic Stir Fry.  We watch for the expiring meat discounts and can grab a couple good ones, usually around $20 each.  Unless we are on vacation, we never ever eat out anymore.

Uber eats??  Wow, that cookbook you handed over should be like a gold bar to that kid…

another one... get good thick cut sirloins, cut them into full width strips, toss them into a Ziploc bag with your favorite marinade (I do Caribbean Jerk mostly) let em soak all day, skewer them when you get home and grille kabob style with veggies, etc.  f'ng awesome

kid works in the food service industry while going to school, knows how to cook but is to be blunt lazy and has too much disposable money.  note, I didn't say income... ;)