Check your account email address ×

racing with greasy triples?

While I'd like to see it, if they get more then a dozen sleds, I'd be shocked.

The guys who are all talk about racing that stuff want to enter the race for like $20, have 0 current or required safety gear, and want like a $2500 cheque for 19th place in a final and $500 to start a heater.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

While I'd like to see it, if they get more then a dozen sleds, I'd be shocked.

The guys who are all talk about racing that stuff want to enter the race for like $20, have 0 current or required safety gear, and want like a $2500 cheque for 19th place in a final and $500 to start a heater.

It will happen. Have you been to the ditch banger national at erx?? It’s like a flash back to the late 90s and nothing they were racing was junk and had full gear from that era. If they do a triple race a lot of shit will come out of the barns. There is so much stuff from that era hiding. 

• Like 2

There is a lot of stuff from that time period stashed away from people that parked them. It was really incredible what that race was. A lot of them said I got busy with life at that time and parked the sled and never thought about racing again. A collector would have spent a million dollars buying stuff at that race. 

Why not.....stock classes racing on a lake surface.....

If you're not reinventing your self, you're dying...

Simple capitalism, let the spectators decide...

Turner Snowmobile Club in Maine resurrected  ( vintage)!one lunger racing 20+ years back... It was a pleasure to see normal everyday people racing on a shoe string budget.

1 hour ago, EvilBird said:

Cheap XCR in RI. Kinda want it. 

0ACBC948-EDEB-45B1-B457-A9C12DCC0830.png

The 1999's don't have the demand the Gen 2 XCR 800's have.  Many became donor sleds for the motor, pipes and electrical.  I used one for an IQR convention with a HTG mounting plate and pipes.

1 minute ago, mnstang said:

They're triples sooooo....

Was watching a video last night of the triple racing at Eagle River and my son asked what it was. I said a triple, he goes "sounds greasy". :lol:

• Haha 1

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Doug said:

The 1999's don't have the demand the Gen 2 XCR 800's have.  Many became donor sleds for the motor, pipes and electrical.  I used one for an IQR convention with a HTG mounting plate and pipes.

I was kinda thinking that. I had a 99 Ultra 680 . Defiantly not as attractive as a Gen 2 . 

9 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

Was watching a video last night of the triple racing at Eagle River and my son asked what it was. I said a triple, he goes "sounds greasy". :lol:

Proud Of You Yes GIF

5 minutes ago, Palu49 said:

I have a 1050 hooper ZRT with 600 decals on the hood and the 8’s in the heads dremeled to 6’s at my disposal. Think it’d pass tech?

Zrt 600 heads just said zrt, no 600.  Dead giveaway 

On 1/22/2024 at 11:21 PM, Not greg b said:

It will happen. Have you been to the ditch banger national at erx?? It’s like a flash back to the late 90s and nothing they were racing was junk and had full gear from that era. If they do a triple race a lot of shit will come out of the barns. There is so much stuff from that era hiding. 

6 hours ago, ICG said:

Why not.....stock classes racing on a lake surface.....

If you're not reinventing your self, you're dying...

Simple capitalism, let the spectators decide...

Turner Snowmobile Club in Maine resurrected  ( vintage)!one lunger racing 20+ years back... It was a pleasure to see normal everyday people racing on a shoe string budget.

I don't really want to shoot it down, but I don't see it working well.  

Pine Lake is an ice race and ISR insured, so now you are looking at sticking 192 studs in a track, some ice carbides, a tether, and all the safety gear (helmet, Tekvest, knee pads, orange jacket) to get you going. 

You need to enter it, rent the transponder, pay the ISR insurance, etc. 

It all adds up, and a lot of people aren't willing to do that for a weekend of ice racing. 

Hell, a lot of them aren't willing to do it for a weekend of racing at say Park Rapids, and there you can run a sled with a few studs in the track and 6" of cheap carbide.  

I'm not sure how the ERX stuff works, but I'm thinking you just kind of show up and if your sled has a number on it and a working tether, send it?  Not sure on the ERX one, but a friend of mine did that Tri-5.  He said never again.  A lot of them treat it like a demo-derby on sleds.

Neat idea, but put to practice, I personally think it falls short.

3 hours ago, Palu49 said:

I have a 1050 hooper ZRT with 600 decals on the hood and the 8’s in the heads dremeled to 6’s at my disposal. Think it’d pass tech?

Excited!!!

2 hours ago, Palu49 said:

We know lol it was always just a joke

You Bastard!!! 

2 hours ago, Sled_Hed said:

Lightly greased.

FB_IMG_1550628991396.jpg

Appears to be quite heavy... must be all the caked on grease.

1 hour ago, mnstang said:

digi cam pics 021.JPG

digi cam pics 026.JPG

when bngs weren't only new... they were fucking HUGE

32 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Pine Lake is an ice race and ISR insured, so now you are looking at sticking 192 studs in a track, some ice carbides, a tether, and all the safety gear (helmet, Tekvest, knee pads, orange jacket) to get you going. 

It all adds up, and a lot of people aren't willing to do that for a weekend of ice racing. 

Hell, a lot of them aren't willing to do it for a weekend of racing at say Park Rapids, and there you can run a sled with a few studs in the track and 6" of cheap carbide.  

I'm not sure how the ERX stuff works, but I'm thinking you just kind of show up and if your sled has a number on it and a working tether, send it?  Not sure on the ERX one, but a friend of mine did that Tri-5.  He said never again.  A lot of them treat it like a demo-derby on sleds.

shuddup poppy pants

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

I think that it would basically be limited to people that already race and have the equipment from a cost standpoint. I’d think about going out for it just to have fun. Everyone on gunners podcast was wound up talking about it this week. I think the biggest safety issue and cost would come from literally every unrestored triple out there right now needs a track.