Check your account email address ×

Wisconsin Sledders…Bad News

• Platinum Contributing Member

This is some sad news to share from the Three Lakes - Brule River Trails snowmobile club. Please just ride smart & stay on the trails this winter. It’s all about respecting our generous landowners so this doesn’t happen to us. 

**Trail 13 which is the primary trail between Three Lakes & Eagle River will be closed for at least the upcoming season.  The closure is a result of ‘off trail’ riders that upset one of the Eagle River landowners to the point of closure.  The Eagle River Sno-Eagles along with Three Lakes/Brule River Trails have been diligently working to find an alternate route, but at this time an alternative has not been found.  Of the two possible options that have been proposed, both will require the construction of a new bridge, which will mean Trail 13 will not reopen for three to four years and that assumes agreements can be reached with several new property owners very soon.  The Three Lakes portion of the trail will remain open to the Oneida/Vilas County Line to serve local residents.  Trail Corridor 13 will be re-routed through Sugar Camp to Eagle River.
The loss of Trail 13 is a huge loss for our community as well as Eagle River.  It is one of the busiest trails in all of Oneida County.  The impact that irresponsible snowmobilers have not only hurts our business’s, but it hurts our entire sport. Please spread the word and encourage people to think twice when they see a field of unmarked, fresh snow.  Do the right thing and stay on the marked trails, that many volunteers work tirelessly to keep open.

**Three Lakes Trail #5 is being rerouted off Maple Lake to follow Maple Lake Dam Rd.  Please review the new map and follow the designated trail markers for TL-5.  It’s the trail that leads to Pine Isle from the town of Three Lakes.  DO NOT attempt to follow the old trail as it is private property whose owner has graciously allowed us to continue to use the rear portion of the trail at the Hwy X trail crossing.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

This is some sad news to share from the Three Lakes - Brule River Trails snowmobile club. Please just ride smart & stay on the trails this winter. It’s all about respecting our generous landowners so this doesn’t happen to us. 

**Trail 13 which is the primary trail between Three Lakes & Eagle River will be closed for at least the upcoming season.  The closure is a result of ‘off trail’ riders that upset one of the Eagle River landowners to the point of closure.  The Eagle River Sno-Eagles along with Three Lakes/Brule River Trails have been diligently working to find an alternate route, but at this time an alternative has not been found.  Of the two possible options that have been proposed, both will require the construction of a new bridge, which will mean Trail 13 will not reopen for three to four years and that assumes agreements can be reached with several new property owners very soon.  The Three Lakes portion of the trail will remain open to the Oneida/Vilas County Line to serve local residents.  Trail Corridor 13 will be re-routed through Sugar Camp to Eagle River.
The loss of Trail 13 is a huge loss for our community as well as Eagle River.  It is one of the busiest trails in all of Oneida County.  The impact that irresponsible snowmobilers have not only hurts our business’s, but it hurts our entire sport. Please spread the word and encourage people to think twice when they see a field of unmarked, fresh snow.  Do the right thing and stay on the marked trails, that many volunteers work tirelessly to keep open.

**Three Lakes Trail #5 is being rerouted off Maple Lake to follow Maple Lake Dam Rd.  Please review the new map and follow the designated trail markers for TL-5.  It’s the trail that leads to Pine Isle from the town of Three Lakes.  DO NOT attempt to follow the old trail as it is private property whose owner has graciously allowed us to continue to use the rear portion of the trail at the Hwy X trail crossing.

not that I ride in that area but those fuckers who think they can ride where they please should be beaten with a Cat clutch removal tool.

can you post this on the WI page too?

@Doug

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a little further east than we typically ride, but it's right in the heart of the area my buddy rides (and owns his cabin).  F'ing nimrods who can't read signs or understand what STAY ON TRAIL means :wall:

15 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I'm in the Brule River Trails club and they've been working on this since the end of the season when the landowner informed the club he was done,.  Sucks because that was always a nice run for use to get down to Crandon.  I know the area and it was clearly marked to stay on the trail. 

31 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Put a helmet on and think your anonymous with no consequences 

Pretty much sums it up.  Those assholes should be forced to spend all the time the club puts forward working on the trails and keeping/establishing the relationships with land owners, and trying to keep them happy.  "Stay on Trail" ... it ain't that fucking hard!!

47 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Put a helmet on and think your anonymous with no consequences 

14 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Pretty much sums it up.  Those assholes should be forced to spend all the time the club puts forward working on the trails and keeping/establishing the relationships with land owners, and trying to keep them happy.  "Stay on Trail" ... it ain't that fucking hard!!

$100 says they're 'out of town's fuckstains with off trail capable sleds who think a trail pass entitles them to go wherever they f'ng please 

have said it a thousand times before and I'll say it again... Snowmobilers will be the end of this sport long before global warming does it in. 

frankly public humiliation is the best way forward from fellow riders to end this shit.

1 hour ago, Anler said:

Yeah we are aware. Snowmobilers are their own worst enemy

Have to give the landowner credit for letting the Eagle River club (Sno Eagles) know that he was going to close the trail at the end of last season. That gave them time to try to find a reroute.  

Sucks that riders can't stay on the trail as it was posted.  Pushes landowners to say they had enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SlugsOnSleds said:

We crossed off riding to Three Lakes when WEASEL's strip club got torched around a decade ago...Trail was mostly junk anyway...Move On...

That's a name from the past.  Last I remember the owner was shot and shortly after that the place burned down.  Seems he owed the wrong people money.

That's got to 10-15 years ago and the trails and maintenance of the Three Lake trails have greatly improved.

Trail 13 alternatives.....  re route with all associated costs invited vs. 💯% fence the trail 13 corridor to keep the scofflaws in the designated area.

6' galvanized chain link fence and poles should contain riders.

No idea if it's sellable to the owner 

1 hour ago, ICG said:

Trail 13 alternatives.....  re route with all associated costs invited vs. 💯% fence the trail 13 corridor to keep the scofflaws in the designated area.

6' galvanized chain link fence and poles should contain riders.

No idea if it's sellable to the owner 

Good suggestion and I'm sure there was efforts offered to fence off the trail but it wasn't excepable to the landowner.  The section that has been cut off is actually on the Eagle River Sno Eagle section of trail.  Being the importance of this trail both clubs of Eagle River and Three Lakes were jointly working on options to make something work.  There is one bridge on the trail and getting over that is an additional issue to overcome for a reroute.

Three Lakes has there trail brushing this weekend so I may find out more information.

Sucks

Unfortunately trail closures are not going away. My old club in NH now has a section closed that cuts their trail system into 2 sections with the closed section in between. It used to be the only east west trail south of the White Mountains that didn't involve lake crossings.

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to some guys in the club up Nth and they will be using cameras this year along with other clubs to try to keep people on trails.  It won't solve all the problems but at least get leads of the sleds and riders.  They put some cameras up where they've been having UTV issues and have caught some people on a golf course and they have been fined.

Hope this helps we can't keep losing trails and a public black eye.

• Like 1

If anything, you can at least see what kind of sled it is and what the rider is wearing and somewhat of a guess as to the rider's size.  Too bad the cameras can't be high definition enough to actually catch registration numbers.  I hope it works, and causes these idiots to think again before they decide to venture off trail and trespass.

Thought about cameras on one of my land owners as when they see they can take a “short-cut” across a field rather than the edge as he wants, he gets cranky with us.  Last few years I’ve signed enough that no one did, but he’s asking for another rope fence this year - ugh.  

36 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Thought about cameras on one of my land owners as when they see they can take a “short-cut” across a field rather than the edge as he wants, he gets cranky with us.  Last few years I’ve signed enough that no one did, but he’s asking for another rope fence this year - ugh.  

At least the land owner is working with you vs. shutting it down altogether.  But I hear ya on the "ugh" feeling ... been there before!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mag6240 said:

When you think the marking is dumbed down far enough that they can't get around it you get dummer riders.

What they were telling me about the golf coarse is they had multiple cameras.  Some by a stop sign that they could get the registration number and others on the golf course.  They were able to take the pictures with a time stamp on them to show where they went on the golf course and back on the trail.  Sucks you have to go to this level where people just don't get it.

• Like 2

As unpopular as it may seem..  Robert Frost spoke it all too well " Good fences make good neighbors". ....

Embrace lots of fences , flagging and poles on the sensitive areas offering access to critically tempting forbidden properties.....

This may be a god send and cheaper than reroutes or losing trails.

• Like 1