Check your account email address ×

Homeless crisis grows in Florida.

• Platinum Contributing Member
30 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Always been lots of homeless since i went as a kid. 

in fact i think i first saw a homeless person in Tampa visiting my Grandpa at like 7 years old 1992.  Was like wow they do exist . :lol:

7 years old in 92….I was 25….you suck.😂😤

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, spin_dry said:

It’s rampant everywhere.

Small communities up here, with no extra capacity are struggling.

Illegal immigration, huge numbers are taxing our ability to cope.

Same everywhere I think.

2 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

It’s rampant everywhere.

Small communities up here, with no extra capacity are struggling.

Illegal immigration, huge numbers are taxing our ability to cope.

Same everywhere I think.

It’s rampant mostly in areas where housing and rent prices have escalated. I was in Bend, Oregon two weeks ago. The housing prices have literally gone bonkers over the last 18 months with the influx of California tech workers all working remotely. They’re paid salaries that few in Bend could compete. Residents are selling and taking huge profits. Rental costs are such that the locals can’t afford to live there. Homeless went from nonexistent to an estimated 2000 individuals and accelerating. 

11 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

It’s rampant mostly in areas where housing and rent prices have escalated. I was in Bend, Oregon two weeks ago. The housing prices have literally gone bonkers over the last 18 months with the influx of California tech workers all working remotely. They’re paid salaries that few in Bend could compete. Residents are selling and taking huge profits. Rental costs are such that the locals can’t afford to live there. Homeless went from nonexistent to an estimated 2000 individuals and accelerating. 

Even in my area, a spot you could have bought a house 5 years ago for $200k, a one bedroom apartment i now s $2000 a month.

Who knew injecting billions into the economy, freezing rent controls and evictions, allowing millions more in would inflate the housing market?

2 hours ago, f7ben said:

Last summer trip we did there was Port St Lucie in June. Awesome by the ocean , horrifying further than 600yds inland lol 

Right after high school I went down there. Had a job replacing expansion joints on the runways at Patrick air force base in june. Had to wear pants , shirt and boots . 

I learned a whole new meaning of hot.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

When we were out west this summer, the amount of homeless around Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia was stunning to say the least.  Never seen anything like it.

Even in some of our small communities around here (think sub-5k), there have been homeless and panhandlers popping up where we have not seen it before.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Right the techies screwed California into the ground now it is time to move onto the next victim.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Right after high school I went down there. Had a job replacing expansion joints on the runways at Patrick air force base in june. Had to wear pants , shirt and boots . 

I learned a whole new meaning of hot.

I did a lot of roofing from age 21-30. Similar experience baking in the road or the roof.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Right the techies screwed California into the ground now it is time to move onto the next victim.

We stopped at this brewery in Packwood, WA by Mt. Rainier.  It was packed, only place to sit was at the end of this table of remote workers.

Grabbed a couple beers, walked to the table, and some cunt was in a Webex and her manager called her out.  Saw us walk past on the webcam carrying beers.

That cunt thought we were somehow to blame for her not following her company's remote work rules.

None of them looked overly engaged in their jobs.

37 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Bootstraps….:snack:

3 hours ago, f7ben said:

I enjoy Florida at the right times. Cape Coral is one of the nicest places I’ve ever been. Maybe the nicest. We are heading the PCB in 2 weeks. Hoping for nice weather 

Where are you staying in PCB?  We go every April. I think you will be fine weather wise.  Any later might be hit or miss.  We like Emerald beach resort.  
Really nice condos on the beach. Cape Coral/ Ft Myers is the best place to go in Florida.  We do that December- March.  Can usually count on decent weather. 

6 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Where are you staying in PCB?  We go every April. I think you will be fine weather wise.  Any later might be hit or miss.  We like Emerald beach resort.  
Really nice condos on the beach. Cape Coral/ Ft Myers is the best place to go in Florida.  We do that December- March.  Can usually count on decent weather. 

I rented a whole house in a gated community in Rosemary beach area. It’s a block off the beach. I had my finger on the trigger of many condos but I just don’t want to deal with idiots. I like easy parking , pulling right up to the house or having my vehicle right there to run to the store or whatever. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I rented a whole house in a gated community in Rosemary beach area. It’s a block off the beach. I had my finger on the trigger of many condos but I just don’t want to deal with idiots. I like easy parking , pulling right up to the house or having my vehicle right there to run to the store or whatever. 

That’s nice.  We don’t even drive our car down there. Get our groceries for the week and walk everywhere. We walk  down to pier park and hit all the bars, Tootsies is usually a good party.  Senor frog, Donovan’s is a dive bar we like. Mo’s bbq , little shack but great food. 

78E29616-878E-411D-B060-D266DCE696EC.jpeg

5ED2D5A5-5783-4788-A1B0-27E80B872783.jpeg

E1B4D395-D64D-43AE-A043-92B02214DF68.jpeg

37135999-E2C3-4C54-97D6-B679EB8B8346.jpeg

4D53D345-6F93-4871-BB71-DC49F3D6114C.jpeg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Last spring I linked up with two guys that live in their rigs. One is a remote techie and the other a traveling ANP. Both have incomes well over $200k. The ANP has to carry his own health insurance but with his income it’s a non issue. The tech guy does data warehousing and is an animal with production.  He can get a days work done in as little as three hours. Then he has the rest of the day to himself. Nice gig if you the skills. 

24 minutes ago, Cold War said:

That’s nice.  We don’t even drive our car down there. Get our groceries for the week and walk everywhere. We walk  down to pier park and hit all the bars, Tootsies is usually a good party.  Senor frog, Donovan’s is a dive bar we like. Mo’s bbq , little shack but great food. 

78E29616-878E-411D-B060-D266DCE696EC.jpeg

5ED2D5A5-5783-4788-A1B0-27E80B872783.jpeg

E1B4D395-D64D-43AE-A043-92B02214DF68.jpeg

37135999-E2C3-4C54-97D6-B679EB8B8346.jpeg

4D53D345-6F93-4871-BB71-DC49F3D6114C.jpeg

Cool , it’s my wife’s 40th bday while we are there and she wants to go out and whoop it up a bit. I’ll check out those places you listed. 

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Cool , it’s my wife’s 40th bday while we are there and she wants to go out and whoop it up a bit. I’ll check out those places you listed. 

:bc:
Never been this time of year but it is busy at spring break.  Fun to walk the strip hitting all the bars. She will probably like going to pier park regardless. 

5 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

have been in nearly every part of it since the 70's between grandparents, friends and my brother... would be a great state if it had the population of Wyoming, but it doesn't.  haven't been back in 16 years and other than a flight hub in Miami in December on our way to the Bahamas I have no intention of ever going back there... especially when all the snowbird's are there. 

you'll change your tune when you get so old you have no choice but to trade up that 720 for a retired golf cart and are looking for a place to legally ride it......:news:

Edited by hayward
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, hayward said:

you'll change your tune when you get so old you have no choice but to trade up that 720 for a retired golf cart and are looking for a place to legally ride it......:news:

I'm starting to look for a place in the Bahamas now... and I'll rip the 720 on the beach.