Check your account email address ×

New helmets

5 hours ago, Kivalo said:

They have 2 sizes of breath deflector. I ordered both just to be sure. Using the correct size definitely makes a difference. 

I didn't know you could get different deflectors until I had already sent mine back for a refund.  I may grab another one given the lack of options right now.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

I didn't know you could get different deflectors until I had already sent mine back for a refund.  I may grab another one given the lack of options right now.

It made a big difference in fitment.  That being said I wear an Oxygen now. Really love that helmet.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2023 at 6:14 AM, Deephaven said:

Super noticeable on the titan.  I ordered both and kept the carbon.

I suspect it’s something people may not notice just by holding them in their hand, correct?  On the Mission, I couldn’t tell the difference and the CKX factory sales rep at Hay Days didn’t bother to defend carbon fiber when I told him that.  Made it seem like he didn’t think there was much difference, other than price.  But, in the back of my head, I keep wondering if the difference would be noticeable after a few hours riding.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, p51mstg said:

I suspect it’s something people may not notice just by holding them in their hand, correct?  On the Mission, I couldn’t tell the difference and the CKX factory sales rep at Hay Days didn’t bother to defend carbon fiber when I told him that.  Made it seem like he didn’t think there was much difference, other than price.  But, in the back of my head, I keep wondering if the difference would be noticeable after a few hours riding.

My old helmet was a carbon fiber and I'd still be using it if I could have gotten a replacement shield for it.  On warmer days I still wear my old helmet and on a 200+ mile day you can feel the difference.  If it's enough of a difference for the extra money on the fence with that.

12 hours ago, p51mstg said:

I always lead and constantly then look backwards.  Hitting bumps of any sort while looking back is when it is most noticeable.  On the titan it is more obvious though as it is lighter overall.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Deephaven said:

I always lead and constantly then look backwards.  Hitting bumps of any sort while looking back is when it is most noticeable.  On the titan it is more obvious though as it is lighter overall.

Mirrors!  👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Deephaven said:

Never had any that work. The ones you wear on your hands are the best but hard to give or share any hand signals that way.  Not all of my friends have communicators either which is the best method.

I lead most of the time as well, and I got so sick of turning my head to look back I gave the factory Axys mirrors a try when I got my first Pro-S, and even though they aren’t perfect it’s way better than turning my head all the time.  Communicators??  I couldn’t stand having someone talking to me while I’m riding.  I only need to know you are still behind me - a quick glance at the mirrors, see a head light, that’s all I need to know until the next intersection.  Matryx mirror location would take some time getting used to, they are too low for me, as I’m sure they would be for you as well (that tall thing).

I also lead more than half the time, and I've been using the mirror that slides over my left glove.  As far as hand signals go, the guy that typically rides second/behind me can tell the difference when I'm looking vs. signaling.  I normally try to look/signal at the same time when we're coming to a stop sign anyways ... that way you at least know you're good from the previous stop sign when you saw people.

Our group is all pretty experienced, and we mix up the lead a lot.  No fun eating the same guys snow dust all day.  I have the little Ski Doo mirrors, that fold in and out and mount on the handguards.  All you're looking for is a headlight reflection, so no need to be always looking behind you.  Hand signals only when safe and convenient as a courtesy, usually closed fist meaning you're last, or signaling number of sleds if you're well in front.   Nothing more ridiculous than a line of 5 sleds all visible, and each guy is  flashing a signal.  Just control your sled and stay on your side of the trail thank you.

2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Our group is all pretty experienced, and we mix up the lead a lot.  No fun eating the same guys snow dust all day.  I have the little Ski Doo mirrors, that fold in and out and mount on the handguards.  All you're looking for is a headlight reflection, so no need to be always looking behind you.  Hand signals only when safe and convenient as a courtesy, usually closed fist meaning you're last, or signaling number of sleds if you're well in front.   Nothing more ridiculous than a line of 5 sleds all visible, and each guy is  flashing a signal.  Just control your sled and stay on your side of the trail thank you.

On the bold ... 100% agree

I've got basically 3 groups that I ride with (all trail riding).  One group, a guy that's been leading for damn near 50 years is the leader, no questions asked (and he still does a great job leading and setting a brisk pace).  I think he's probably asked someone else to lead maybe a handful of times over the 100's of times I've ridden with him.  Another group, I typically lead because others don't want to ... and that's where the mirror on the glove comes in play most often.  The last group is a bunch of guys I work with, and I typically take a spot at the end of the line or close to it & just lay back and cruise.

I will swear by the glove mirrors - they flat out work.

1 minute ago, Bontz said:

On the bold ... 100% agree

I've got basically 3 groups that I ride with (all trail riding).  One group, a guy that's been leading for damn near 50 years is the leader, no questions asked (and he still does a great job leading and setting a brisk pace).  I think he's probably asked someone else to lead maybe a handful of times over the 100's of times I've ridden with him.  Another group, I typically lead because others don't want to ... and that's where the mirror on the glove comes in play most often.  The last group is a bunch of guys I work with, and I typically take a spot at the end of the line or close to it & just lay back and cruise.

I will swear by the glove mirrors - they flat out work.

Yeah I like the glove mirrors too.  What I don't like the normal hood or shield mounted mirrors, as we are often off trailing and occasionally have to roll the sled out of a stuck.  Good way to snap those off.  I like mixing it up, let everyone get a taste of clear trail, or hanging in the back.

33 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

I lead most of the time as well, and I got so sick of turning my head to look back I gave the factory Axys mirrors a try when I got my first Pro-S, and even though they aren’t perfect it’s way better than turning my head all the time.  Communicators??  I couldn’t stand having someone talking to me while I’m riding.  I only need to know you are still behind me - a quick glance at the mirrors, see a head light, that’s all I need to know until the next intersection.  Matryx mirror location would take some time getting used to, they are too low for me, as I’m sure they would be for you as well (that tall thing).

True the mirrors on the Matryx are not in the ideal location.  Looking down off the trail in the mirror to look back on the trail for the surprise branch has happened more than once.  They work for that quick glance to make sure there's a headlight behind you.

My wife hates the location so the sled she rides has handlebar mounted mirrors. 

• Like 1

I don't like to stop.  A thumbs up from the one following let's me know I can keep going.  A mirror doesn't allow for that request for response.

As for the communicators.  You can't really talk at full clip but you can hear the occasional g out groan and of course when slowed can ask about continuing on.  Particularly helpful at Y's in the trail 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

I don't like to stop.  A thumbs up from the one following let's me know I can keep going.  A mirror doesn't allow for that request for response.

Agreed - mirrors don’t return a response, just allow the “yup, they’re still back there” confirmation.  If someone has an issue, wants to adjust gear, or simply needs to take a leak, just stop and do what ever you need to do.  I’ll come back…approaching intersections or road crossings I look for a thumbs up as well.

Edited by Mag6240
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

ditto, I lead 99.9% of the time as I don't need a map or GPS at intersections and keep the group moving.  std protocol is getting a thumbs up from everyone in the group no matter the size at road crossings. 

3 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

And there is always some hidden whoop right when you turn to look for a thumbs up.  That is where the lighter helmet makes a huge difference on the day!

if you see my brake light and me stand up, slow down NOW.  

going from the Cat TXI helmet to the Mission is like going from a bowling ball to a football helmet, noticeable on a long day and more noticeable on the following day.  

the shell, while important for impact isn't the biggest factor in helmet safety... the padding/liner are far more crucial.   luckily for me I haven't had to throw a helmet away due to impact for a very long time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

ditto, I lead 99.9% of the time as I don't need a map or GPS at intersections and keep the group moving.  std protocol is getting a thumbs up from everyone in the group no matter the size at road crossings. 

if you see my brake light and me stand up, slow down NOW.  

going from the Cat TXI helmet to the Mission is like going from a bowling ball to a football helmet, noticeable on a long day and more noticeable on the following day.  

the shell, while important for impact isn't the biggest factor in helmet safety... the padding/liner are far more crucial.   luckily for me I haven't had to throw a helmet away due to impact for a very long time.

That was my helmet progression as well…

Just now, Mag6240 said:

That was my helmet progression as well…

still love my TXI, have multiple shields, extra visors and spare parts to still use it... WARM as hell, never fogged.  

way too heavy

if they came out with a modern version I'd likely buy another 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

still love my TXI, have multiple shields, extra visors and spare parts to still use it... WARM as hell, never fogged.  

way too heavy

if they came out with a modern version I'd likely buy another 

Selling mine, won’t be going back to it.  

9 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Selling mine, won’t be going back to it.  

I'm too nostalgic to throw it away, wife can sell it as vintage on eBay when I'm dead and gone.  We also have a small TXI my wife has worn once, the day she learned to ride on a sled with a broken primary clutch spring.  She did 108 miles, the sled died at almost every road crossing and she only put it in the pickers once.  Strangely that's the last time she rode?  :lol:

IMG_20231126_094241589.jpg

IMG_20231126_094306711.jpg

IMG_20231126_094251019.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 11/25/2023 at 10:05 AM, p51mstg said:

the part of the helmet that is made of carbon is just a thin little shell. there isn't enough material there for the composition to matter much. i got the carbon because it looked cool and i'll take anything off my neck that i can as far as weight. i run the heated shield and no deflector. the wire runs the light on the back of my helmet as well

• Like 1