Check your account email address ×

The crashing office market will deepen the economic 'doom loop' for America's cities, economist says

spin_dry

It is quite comical 3 years ago they were telling everyone to "Stay Home!  Stay Safe!"   

And now they are whining that people found out they can stay home and work, and be Safe, and not have to deal with the trash they refuse to take to the Train Station??  Again... :lol2:

Just now, Mag6240 said:

It is quite comical 3 years ago they were telling everyone to "Stay Home!  Stay Safe!"   

And now they are whining that people found out they can stay home and work, and be Safe, and not have to deal with the trash they refuse to take to the Train Station??  Again... :lol2:

I talked to a couple at their campsite last week. They’re from Bend,OR. The city and rural areas are seeing a huge influx of people from California and AZ leaving the city to work remotely. Same company, just no building anymore. The pandemic simply sped up what was inevitable. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

I talked to a couple at their campsite last week. They’re from Bend,OR. The city and rural areas are seeing a huge influx of people from California and AZ leaving the city to work remotely. Same company, just no building anymore. The pandemic simply sped up what was inevitable. 

Yup - They knew not what they could do.  Now you have places like the City of Minneapolis begging businesses, and other gov't agencies, to require workers to be in the office 3 days a week so the downtown communities don't continue to die... Good luck with that.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Big corps can survive downsizing of facilities.....the stores/restaurants that surround them can't. 

The same people who complain about going into work are the same people that complain if waiters and waitress' aren't paid enough. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Yup - They knew not what they could do.  Now you have places like the City of Minneapolis begging businesses, and other gov't agencies, to require workers to be in the office 3 days a week so the downtown communities don't continue to die... Good luck with that.

There’s nothing new about this. Cities will continue to rot as companies diversify. Past examples would be Gary, Indiana and Detroit, Michigan. The same is occurring in southern California. 

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

There’s nothing new about this. Cities will continue to rot as companies diversify. Past examples would be Gary, Indiana and Detroit, Michigan. The same is occurring in southern California. 

True - But for the same reasons you avoid large metropolitan areas.  You don't want to deal with the traffic nor the trash.  I was forced to look for a job outside of the Twin Cities ~20 years ago, best thing that could have ever happened to me.

9 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

20% government and 80% social/technological change. Remote work is here to stay. 

I remember thinking three years ago when Covid was overtaking the land that commercial office space was going to be crushed. What I don’t understand is why it has taken this long before people started to realize that.  On the other hand, some companies are finding that productivity has gone down the drain in that last three years, and they are requiring more and more people to come back to work in the office.  Business insider does tend to be kind of click baity and other more regarded financial publications, are not as doom and gloom about it

Just now, DriftBusta said:

I remember thinking three years ago when Covid was overtaking the land that commercial office space was going to be crushed. What I don’t understand is why it has taken this long before people started to realize that.  On the other hand, some companies are finding that productivity has gone down the drain in that last three years, and they are requiring more and more people to come back to work in the office.  Business insider does tend to be kind of click baity and other more regarded financial publications, are not as doom and gloom about it

On the bold:  It doesn't have to be just large city companies.  The sad part is, if you are one of those letting work from home affect your productivity, not to worry, someone else will hire you on previous merit.  Seen this happen a few times in the last year with people who have left, as well as new hires that came in and only lasted a few months or a couple weeks in one case.  Pretty sad really.

1 hour ago, Mag6240 said:

On the bold:  It doesn't have to be just large city companies.  The sad part is, if you are one of those letting work from home affect your productivity, not to worry, someone else will hire you on previous merit.  Seen this happen a few times in the last year with people who have left, as well as new hires that came in and only lasted a few months or a couple weeks in one case.  Pretty sad really.

My daughters used to go in the office every day, then when Covid hit, it was work from home for the better part of two years.  Now they both have some kind of a hybrid schedule., couple days in the office, couple days at home.  

1 hour ago, Mag6240 said:

If you can work from home, your job can most likely be outsourced to a cheaper place.

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

My field has changed dramatically. I stay in touch with my past colleagues that are involved in residential and group home services. They can’t find anyone to work. The majority of therapists are working remote through Zoom. Clients like being counseled in their own home. I’ve maintained my license and get requests via email and snail mail on a regular basis to do remote work. Some of the offers are very lucrative. 

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

My field has changed dramatically. I stay in touch with my past colleagues that are involved in residential and group home services. They can’t find anyone to work. The majority of therapists are working remote through Zoom. Clients like being counseled in their own home. I’ve maintained my license and get requests via email and snail mail on a regular basis to do remote work. Some of the offers are very lucrative. 

Good people are apparently hard to find, my girls both got pretty good bonuses last year.

2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Detroits issues have nothing to do with diversification….the auto industry simply left the city, the white population moved to the suburbs and the Democrat leadership in the city ran the place into the dirt and looted the coffers.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

Company I work for is trying to force three days a week in the office. Problem is, nobody is listening to the big guy who lives out of state and rarely shows up. Sitting around shooting the shit for half the day is now called “collaborating”

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

My wife has been working from home (medical coding) for the last year and a half after she started for a different health system. She is the first to admit she is more productive from home. None of the office chit chat etc interrupting her during the day.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

My wife has been working from home (medical coding) for the last year and a half after she started for a different health system. She is the first to admit she is more productive from home. None of the office chit chat etc interrupting her during the day.

Same here we were way more productive working from home. Ridiculous forcing people into the office. But I guess they need to justify the building.  I’ve been in the office lately having the same Teams meetings since the start of Covid because all the rest aren’t in. 

• Like 2