Check your account email address ×

new cat big bore ...

9 hours ago, fortune46x said:

Guess I should respond to Todd and tell him I'll come do tech that weekend... maybe i can get a autograph from norman countys famous cat insider.

You should bring back the orange rule for the rest of the XC season.

"Brake light"

"Tether"

"Ok, let me see your helmet."

"Go back and put a bunch of orange tape on it for me, then I'll give you the sticker."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

You should bring back the orange rule for the rest of the XC season.

"Brake light"

"Tether"

"Ok, let me see your helmet."

"Go back and put a bunch of orange tape on it for me, then I'll give you the sticker."

I actually got the orange helmet overturned. But the gear still has to have orange on it. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fortune46x said:

I actually got the orange helmet overturned. But the gear still has to have orange on it. 

smart people wear orange at all times

can you pick out the smart one in this group?  

that's one smart mofo... ;)

Screenshot_20231228-192104.png

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

I do appreciate the orange, but I wish there would be some note about contrasting to the snow color.  

I've seen a few people racing in white helmets and goggles.  That is a little whack to me.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

smart people wear orange at all times

can you pick out the smart one in this group?  

that's one smart mofo... ;)

Screenshot_20231228-192104.png

Going on limb here but my guess is ZR6000RR

Poo guy put a couple of laps on one at ERX. 
@ZR6000RR is going to be disappointed in his thoughts about the suspension

Long post:

I rode basically each rendition of the new 858 today. 129 ATAC, Riot sno pro and RXC. Arctic Cat nailed it! The new 858 today, for me, in my own opinion, will be a 9r contender if Polaris puts it in a trail sled. The new 858 in the catalyst chassis is that good. I’m coming from a 23 bikeman 215 hp boost assault, 22 xcr 850 136 and many more from different brands over the years. The new 858 feels more like my buddy’s bikeman stage 1 850 kit in his axys 129, but more snappy with the lightweight crank. That’s why I say it will hold a candle to the 9r if it happens. It definitely trumps the current 850’s. Handle bar vibrations are low. I’d say much lower than Polaris. The new 858 idles and runs smooth. First time on a Catalyst as well and I’m a big fan. Walking away, my only real complaints were the open foot holds,and that it was hard to read what shock setting I was on in the g8 screen while riding one with ATAC.
Now riding was done in elk river, mn at ERX Motor Park Motor Park so big shout out to them and Arctic Cat - Snowmobiles for putting on the demo day event! This was a primarily flat, short course track with hi bank turns that quickly turned to deep moguls. Soft, sugary, man made snow. So I can’t tell you how this chassis handles down a groomed trail. I can’t tell you how well it took the pounding given. There were definitely times I was worried I’d be walking back to the truck from the track, but the arctic cat team was very lenient and let riders ride.
I didn’t ride the standard shock package, but with a heavier rider the shocks were maxed in these conditions. On the other hand a lighter rider raved about the riot package and claimed it to be the best in the fleet of sleds available
AC5S I had limited time to adjust so all shocks were on 3 with the rts at 4. Now I’m 290 dressed myself and it was plenty stiff. Almost too stiff on the rts. Should have left it on 3
IQS shock settings had a noticeable difference, and it was awesome to finally try that system out. It was hard to see what setting I was in bouncing around the track on the new G8 gauge. As per other reviews firm is very firm. Even through the rough stuff, it’s not bottoming out even with my fat ass
RXC shock package felt really good. I’m not sure what the rears were set to, but the fronts were on 1 coming up to the sled. I turned them up to 2, sent it and loved it. My favorite of the bunch and the one I’d order.
Riot was awesome. It felt much better than the Polaris matryx. It seemed closer to the axys assault. Even with the narrower front end, it railed the corners and never showed signs that it was narrower than the trail sleds. This is in soft, man made sugar snow so there is definitely some give there.
129 uncoupled suspension did not feel like the typical uncoupled I’m used to in the assault chassis’. It doesn’t seem to wheelie none stop like an assault would. (Sugar snow) It stayed composed coming out of the corners hard on the gas. A 129 is no longer my cup of tea, but I’d say it was better than an axys 129
The catalyst chassis was awesome in all versions. They all stayed flat and predictable through the rough. The centralized mass and low center of gravity really comes full circle when riding these machines. Steering was very easy and precise with the new rack steering. I felt like I could run a set of race C&A XT skis and not be overwhelmed by the steering effort a lot of new sleds tend to have with them being more rider forward. Throttle pull was light and comfortable. Break is still one of the best in the industry. Belt drive was definitely quieter. Seat was firm, but super comfortable.
This whole review is based on my track experience today. I do not have trail experience with these. Suspension trail compliance can be a different story. Nothing some custom shock tunning can’t help. I’ve hated stock shock valving on both my previous assault and xcr Polaris sleds. Best out of the box so far for me has been my brothers 20 xrs 850 renegade. R motion is still king. Arctic cats front end definitely holds the candle to Polaris’, but I would rate Cat’s rear suspension as last place when compared to the other two brands. I don’t think cat needs work in the front, but in the coming years I’d like to see a more linear and compliant rear suspension. They do that and I think the catalyst secures the number one spot. I could go on and on, but this is already too long. This is all my opinion. Open for debate

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, krom said:

Seems like there's a lot of consensus between media and riders that setting 3 on the QS3/iQS is basically useless and way too firm. I'd agree with that too.  I'd like to see Cat address that on the production models for 2025.

5 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

And most of that review sounds like it is coming from a brand ambassador.

That being said, glad Cat has or is moving towards having a real competitor.

I mean the guys says he's coming off 2 new Polaris' :dunno:

1 minute ago, Premium said:

I said sounds like.  That or he is a rube and is just enamored with anything different.  Either way, making a decision like that after an hour of riding a sled that was setup for someone WAY under your weight doesn't hold much merit.  I can't also say I've seen a 290lb guy who is a great rider.

And I also said it's great Cat is finally back in the playing field.  Hoping a year or two of updates and trial on the 858 will then make it an option for me as well. No amount of press will make me an early adopter, but totally open once the bugs are all worked out.  Only have to look at 2012 & 13 to see why although you could pick on any major change first year Polaris or Doo as well.  

4 minutes ago, Premium said:

Seems like there's a lot of consensus between media and riders that setting 3 on the QS3/iQS is basically useless and way too firm. I'd agree with that too.  I'd like to see Cat address that on the production models for 2025.

In reality, you could race a XC terrain race on setting 3, and I have seen people do that.

Just now, Deephaven said:

I said sounds like.  That or he is a rube and is just enamored with anything different.  Either way, making a decision like that after an hour of riding a sled that was setup for someone WAY under your weight doesn't hold much merit.  I can't also say I've seen a 290lb guy who is a great rider.

And I also said it's great Cat is finally back in the playing field.  Hoping a year or two of updates and trial on the 858 will then make it an option for me as well. No amount of press will make me an early adopter, but totally open once the bugs are all worked out.  Only have to look at 2012 & 13 to see why although you could pick on any major change first year Polaris or Doo as well.  

People who are 3 bills are more sit down riders and lake runners, but they haz can because 8 pounds weight saved.

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

In reality, you could race a XC terrain race on setting 3, and I have seen people do that.

People who are 3 bills are more sit down riders and lake runners, but they haz can because 8 pounds weight saved.

Which would make sense to me on an R-XC, but on a regular ZR trail sled I'd argue it's overkill.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Guy is 290...

I took note of that too.  Two reasons.

A machine will handle way different for me than for someone at that weight.

But more because a fat guy isn't going to ride the same as me and want the same things, which is fine.  But it's a little funny when guy writes a big thing up like he's a great test rider, come on dude you're obese chill out.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Premium said:

Which would make sense to me on an R-XC, but on a regular ZR trail sled I'd argue it's overkill.

I'd probably agree.  But it's also hard to have just three.  You'd want the #3 to be stiff enough where people will never need more.  So that includes overweight people and you have to remember that not everyone just rides trails.  Some guys pound ditches pretty hard and are jumping roads and other big jumpy stuff.  They probably like having that #3.

18 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I do not have a can!

6 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I took note of that too.  Two reasons.

A machine will handle way different for me than for someone at that weight.

But more because a fat guy isn't going to ride the same as me and want the same things, which is fine.  But it's a little funny when guy writes a big thing up like he's a great test rider, come on dude you're obese chill out.

I thought my review was just fine thank you. :lol:

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Guy is 290...

That just means if he's taller than 5'6 he's built like jimwit.

It may come as a surprise, but there are more than a few guys north of 250 that can ride, and ride hard for a full day.

15 minutes ago, Premium said:

That is more of a fox deal than a AC deal.. 
The way the mechanism is set up, there isn't a good way to soften setting 3 on its own.  Hygear drills the mechanism and softens all 3 settings which still leaves you with too much of a change from 2 to 3, but makes 1 almost useless.

7 minutes ago, krom said:

It may come as a surprise, but there are more than a few guys north of 250 that can ride, and ride hard for a full day.

The way the mechanism is set up, there isn't a good way to soften setting 3 on its own.  Hygear drills the mechanism and softens all 3 settings which still leaves you with too much of a change from 2 to 3, but makes 1 almost useless.

Interesting. Granted, I'm only 180lbs, but I can ride plenty hard and setting three on the turbo feels like the shocks are locked out :lolz:

I honestly think they're stiffer than my R-XC at full 24 clicks

Edited by Premium

1 hour ago, Premium said:

Not disagreeing.  I wonder how many people who buy the RXC are going to complain about the ride on the stiffer settings, even though it is exactly what they claimed they wanted.

1 hour ago, Sled_Hed said:

I do not have a can!

I thought my review was just fine thank you. :lol:

Sounds like you need a can!

1 hour ago, krom said:

I say the guys north of 250 pushing 300 that can ride hard are very few and far between.  I know and have seen bigger guys who can ride hard for 10 or 20 miles at a time, but do that twice in a day and they are exhausted.

On 2/18/2024 at 8:43 AM, krom said:

I saw that on Facebook and think that’s a fake post.  Nobody did what he claims while I was there.  

On 2/18/2024 at 9:19 AM, Deephaven said:

And most of that review sounds like it is coming from a brand ambassador.

That being said, glad Cat has or is moving towards having a real competitor.

I think it’s someone with a great imagination.  It’s well written, but if it’s true then he was at a different event than I was.

I was there at 9:00am, when the dealers were riding.  I was in the first group of 6 after the dealers.  The track was groomed right away in the morning and then not groomed again while I was there.  I left around 1:00pm.

The only time the line wasn’t very long was at 10, when it officially started.  After that, the line got progressively longer.  By 11 or so, wait times were probably an hour.  That’s about how long it took me to get off my first ride, get back in line and make it around again for another ride.

I never saw anyone adjusting shocks in the middle of the ride.  There was very little time to adjust anything before the ride, but it’s possible - they were refueling and checking machines between rides, so maybe one of the riders could’ve played with settings then.

For that guy to be able to ride everything, he’d have to either be a complete asshole and cut in line after every ride or be there all day.  They ushered riders in - it was like musical chairs.  If someone decided to stay on a sled and ride again, someone in the next group wouldn’t get to ride and the Cat employees would’ve heard about a guy who refused to leave.

Finally, his claims are too good to be true.

I think it’s a great story, but it belongs in the Amazon fiction section.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1