Check your account email address ×

Ford's CEO admits to a 'reality check' during F-150 Lightning Route 66 road trip

9 minutes ago, Bontz said:

You're gonna make @BOHICA put down the lube & stop savaging himself with these kinds of stories.  

He will be ok. His new vehicle has headlights that look like diving goggles so he probably puts those on when he’s diving for cock which I’m guessing is all the time 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Lol he only did about 5 percent of Route 66. Let's see how he does going through Oklahoma and Missouri with that POS. 

We did Route 66 from St Louis to the turn off to go to Sonoma Arizona. What a great road trip that was. Would hate to have had 'range anxiety' the whole way... full tank was generally 425 miles....

20220516_100058.thumb.jpg.f708b7dd0c852a7e9f88ea4393b72c33.jpg

Edited by Snake
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Snake said:

We did Route 66 from St Louis to the turn off to go to Sonoma Arizona. What a great road trip that was. Would hate to have had 'range anxiety' the whole way... full tank was generally 425 miles....

20220516_100058.thumb.jpg.f708b7dd0c852a7e9f88ea4393b72c33.jpg

You're lucky you didn't get detoured onto any of the old stretches of that road that aren't maintained.  We had that misfortune in Illinois on our way back to WI last month towing the RV.  15 miles of nothing but washboard garbage.

Just now, Matt said:

You're lucky you didn't get detoured onto any of the old stretches of that road that aren't maintained.  We had that misfortune in Illinois on our way back to WI last month towing the RV.  15 miles of nothing but washboard garbage.

I know about 5 times the road just dead ended. No sign, nothing... just road ended. Backtracked and more often than not it continued on if you crossed over the highway...

20220514_104152.thumb.jpg.e3203a72795edcd372acfbf719e9b747.jpg

• Gold Member
24 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I’ll be all over Yellowstone park, island park, bitter roots, and Glacier next week. Couldn’t imagine being miles from no where with an EV. 

Lots and lots of options to charge in those locations.  Probably some of the easiest tourist trap areas to charge in the US.

10 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Lots and lots of options to charge in those locations.  Probably some of the easiest tourist trap areas to charge in the US.

Two strikes against ev’s in the backcountry. No ability to charge and their weight. My van is pushing 7200 pounds fully loaded. The same dry weight of a rivian or lightening. Add a trailer and it’s nothing I’d want to be winching out of mud pit. There’s also the aspect of sleeping arrangements. It’s either a rooftop or trailer. I talked to two guys at overlander expo west about their rivians. Both had roof tops and they were getting 10% less range due to drag. Neither roof top had heat so that’s another big negative for fall and winter camping. A heater would mean carrying gasoline or diesel while requiring electricity for the fan and pump. While the rivian is a better platform for extended off roading than the lightening, it has a long way to go. 

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

Two strikes against ev’s in the backcountry. No ability to charge and their weight. My van is pushing 7200 pounds fully loaded. The same dry weight of a rivian or lightening. Add a trailer and it’s nothing I’d want to be winching out of mud pit. There’s also the aspect of sleeping arrangements. It’s either a rooftop or trailer. I talked to two guys at overlander expo west about their rivians. Both had roof tops and they were getting 10% less range due to drag. Neither roof top had heat so that’s another big negative for fall and winter camping. A heater would mean carrying gasoline or diesel while requiring electricity for the fan and pump. While the rivian is a better platform for extended off roading than the lightening, it has a long way to go. 

Just saying there are plenty of charging options in most those locations.  Definitely not a charging desert in these tourist areas nor that remote.  Especially glacier, yellowstone, IP and such.  Bitterroot is a bit lacking on charging options.

7 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

And simple convenience 

it take longer to take a leak, buy a coffee and some beef jerky than it does to refuel 

plus, a couple Jerry cans of fuel can get you a long ways, quickly 

sorry. Beyond commuting a few blocks around a city an EV loses its appeal really fast 

• Like 1

Took a couple of 1000k road trips in our ev6. Fucking amazing vehicle.  The chargers that don’t work fast enough are a pain. The good ones are awesome. 11 minutes for 45kw.  It topped out at 232kw. When I road trip I like to stop at a good restaurant 50kw charging would be fast enough. 

gm should install chargers at every dealership, some with Hyundai, kia etc. 

2 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Just saying there are plenty of charging options in most those locations.  Definitely not a charging desert in these tourist areas nor that remote.  Especially glacier, yellowstone, IP and such.  Bitterroot is a bit lacking on charging options.

Places like the dalton hwy aren’t EV friendly. The backroads through the bitter roots and up towards Glacier aren’t either. 

I have one more day on a 2 week 3500+ mile road trip, where I basically zig zagged my way around Yellowstone and other than a few in the bigger cities, I don’t think I saw a dozen EV’s on the roads we took, which was about 3000 miles on two lane back roads.  Crossed SD from Rapid City to Sioux Falls today, and didn’t see one single EV in that 340 miles.  

43 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

I have one more day on a 2 week 3500+ mile road trip, where I basically zig zagged my way around Yellowstone and other than a few in the bigger cities, I don’t think I saw a dozen EV’s on the roads we took, which was about 3000 miles on two lane back roads.  Crossed SD from Rapid City to Sioux Falls today, and didn’t see one single EV in that 340 miles.  

What did that cost in fuel?  Our first trip cost us -$4.00. 3 chargers failed to charge our cards but charged the car and one of them helped us avoid paying $9.00 for parking. When I returned home I charged off peak for $5.00.  It was confusing but a good intro. 

39 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

What did that cost in fuel?  Our first trip cost us -$4.00. 3 chargers failed to charge our cards but charged the car and one of them helped us avoid paying $9.00 for parking. When I returned home I charged off peak for $5.00.  It was confusing but a good intro. 

Do you charge for your time?

What is an hour while on vacation sitting watching the sun go down worth to you?

2 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

I didn’t count - I’m on vacation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

Sweet. I’m timing my tour of Yellowstone to the week before Labor Day. I’ve had pretty good luck with lower crowds during the week prior to a major holiday. I have a couple nights booked at Canyon and then I’m out of there and into the back country. I haven’t been to Yellowstone proper since 2008. Looking forward to it. 

• Like 3

• Platinum Contributing Member
29 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Sweet. I’m timing my tour of Yellowstone to the week before Labor Day. I’ve had pretty good luck with lower crowds during the week prior to a major holiday. I have a couple nights booked at Canyon and then I’m out of there and into the back country. I haven’t been to Yellowstone proper since 2008. Looking forward to it. 

Enjoy Spin, post some pics

5 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

I didn’t count - I’m on vacation.

But... but... MONEY!!!!!!!!!! You need to save every red cent, squeeze every mile out of a dollar!!!!!

I averaged barely 22 mpg over a 7500 mile road trip and never once did I worry about it.... why add that shit into a vacation?