Check your account email address ×

Anyone else have a family member that served in ww2?

Rod

My grandpa did. And he wouldn’t speak about it to his immediate family. Absolute gentleman of a man 

he did end up telling me lots of stories about his tour through Germany at the end of the war 

Pretty horrific stuff but he told me those stories when I was about 13 ish.. so I didnt really have a true appreciation for what he was telling me 

a decade later or so i told my dad what grandpa told me and he said that grandpa refused to talk about the war to anyone 

My Grandpa on my dad's side fought for England and my cousin said a picture from D-Day with my Grandpa in it hung in the London War memorial museum for decades.He died after the war in a car accident so I never met him.

The older I get I have so much more appreciation for history. When I was in my 20’s I couldn’t have cared less for any of this 

Back then to me it was just an old man telling stories. Now I wish I really listened to what he had to say 

• Like 1

My grandpa fought in Europe in the Battle of the Bulge. He was also involved in liberating a concentration camp although I don't know which one. Never said much about any of it but I remember watching TV with him when I was a kid. I'd look over at him and he would have tears streaming down his face. Died in 1989. Wish I had more time with him.

A cousin of my dad's that I always called my Uncle was in the Bataan Death March, he rarely spoke about the War but when I was a Teen I told him I thought I might buy a Jap car someday, he told me he would cut my F--ing throat if I did.

My great uncle was in WW2 he married a lovely lady he meet in England he passed away 5 years ago . He rarely spoke of the war 

3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

People don't appreciate what those men fought for.

It's actually very sad !!! I firmly believe they should have been treated better for what they did for us !! Here in Ont they couldn't even honour our war vets with a statutory holiday !!! 

I've had the privilege of knowing and spending a lot of time with WW2 vets. Average ordinary guys who proudly served our countries. One "branch" who never got a lot of credit were the Merchant Marines. Without them we never would have won the war. The percentage of lost cargo ships before we were able to control U boat activity was phenomenal. One mariner told me that he always got things in order before every convoy because he figured it'd be his last. 

10 hours ago, ACE said:

My grandpa did. And he wouldn’t speak about it to his immediate family. Absolute gentleman of a man 

he did end up telling me lots of stories about his tour through Germany at the end of the war 

Pretty horrific stuff but he told me those stories when I was about 13 ish.. so I didnt really have a true appreciation for what he was telling me 

a decade later or so i told my dad what grandpa told me and he said that grandpa refused to talk about the war to anyone 

Absolutely horrific.  I had some uncles in dads side who served but was too young to remember and they’re long gone now.  We did a tour of the Bourbon tunnels in Naples Italy last week which was pretty amazing.  Constructed in the 1600s for the king to use as an escape tunnel, 300 years later used as a refuge for over 5000 people to escape the bombing.  I don’t know exactly, but over 100 feet underground with people even bringing their cars and motorcycles down there.  Some passages were so low and narrow I started getting claustrophobic.  Still amazes me what barbarians humans can behave like.  

BFFC1F88-D514-419D-BFE4-B6217FE01882.jpeg

0315E4B1-7011-4A54-8943-B6B5DD01B855.jpeg

85228C42-9F37-425D-AA84-56B346DE2D0C.jpeg

880B2739-0909-4515-A1B5-A1DEC97C1E8B.jpeg

04ADC5C0-9226-4963-BCD7-C830D47E6339.jpeg

• Like 2

Lost one Uncle during the Dieppe raid, and another spent the rest of his life with one leg. He never talked about it. Can't imagine what they went through

and what they must think of the way the entitled little bitches act these days

Father in law was stationed on Tinian. His tent was less than 300 ft away from the bomb pits where the A bombs were loaded. His role was setting up the cameras in the bomb bays of B29’s for bomb damage assessment. He snapped this photo within hours of the deed. 

IMG_0207.jpeg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Many WWII vets came back filled with fear and rage. Families including wives and children paid a heavy price. That doesn’t get talked about a lot. 

Grandpa kept his shit together. He was a gentleman of a person 

There was 4 POW camps north of me on very remote at the time White Otter Lake. About 40% prisoners 60% local loggers back then according to my wives uncle who started working at one at age 15. I toured the camp he worked at with him. 

There is also a castle on the lake built in the 1920's. Still only accessible by sled boat or plane.

download.jpeg-2.jpg