Check your account email address ×

Mercury 500R

• Platinum Contributing Member

Pretty sick….

Introducing the supercharged V8 500R outboard. Created for no-compromise owners of the fastest luxury sport boats, the 500R introduces a host of new components engineered by the high-performance experts at Mercury Racing. Capable of delivering more than 500 horsepower in a wide range of conditions, and weighing as little as 726 pounds, the 500R establishes a new benchmark for outboard power density. 

https://www.mercuryracing.com/engines/r-series/500r.html

IMG_1631.thumb.jpeg.358468b745d3c83b7ea134f5be9d4856.jpeg

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Pretty sick….

Introducing the supercharged V8 500R outboard. Created for no-compromise owners of the fastest luxury sport boats, the 500R introduces a host of new components engineered by the high-performance experts at Mercury Racing. Capable of delivering more than 500 horsepower in a wide range of conditions, and weighing as little as 726 pounds, the 500R establishes a new benchmark for outboard power density. 

https://www.mercuryracing.com/engines/r-series/500r.html

IMG_1631.thumb.jpeg.358468b745d3c83b7ea134f5be9d4856.jpeg

That would be a nice step up from the 400 Verado. 😁

The genius of all of the Mercury V engines is the reversed heads.  Normally in a V engine the intake is in the valley but on the Mercury that is where the exhaust goes. Most of the others who make big 4 strokes started with car engines so the engines are much wider and limit how many you can hang off the transom. 

13 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

The genius of all of the Mercury V engines is the reversed heads.  Normally in a V engine the intake is in the valley but on the Mercury that is where the exhaust goes. Most of the others who make big 4 strokes started with car engines so the engines are much wider and limit how many you can hang off the transom. 

That is the same as the 4.4 twin turbo in my M.

I see videos of people taking off out of like Haulover Inlet in Florida and I ask what is the appeal?

I see shit shows on the launch ramp and shake my head.

I saw how much I spent for a day on the water in 2 Sea Doos and wonder wtf does that shit cost in a big boat?

Anybody that doesn't enjoy a day on the Lake boating is a fucking weirdo. Nothing better than getting away from people and enjoying nature. A million times better than cruising a highway with the top down. That's for citiots.

4 minutes ago, HSR said:

Anybody that doesn't enjoy a day on the Lake boating is a fucking weirdo. Nothing better than getting away from people and enjoying nature. A million times better than cruising a highway with the top down. That's for citiots.

You have no idea what a lot of the lakes around here are like. It's just a big party on some. Not much nature to observe, lol

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, ckf said:

You have no idea what a lot of the lakes around here are like. It's just a big party on some. Not much nature to observe, lol

Yep, thankfully we have only one public launch and once it’s full of trailers no more get on the lake. Keeps traffic down some

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckf said:

Yeah I guess I'm thinking from my perspective. Easy to spend a day on the Lake and only see the odd boat pass by or none at all. 

Still, boating/fishing is a great way to relax.:thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, HSR said:

Show us on the doll where Snake hurt you.... :lol:

I got 2 sea doos and a 18 foot boat. I know everything I need to know about spending a day on the water. Did it a lot of years. I rode around lakes, seeing the same scenery I saw the weekend before. I went over 80 miles round trip down the river into the ocean and up the coast and back.

What model convertible did you have, may I ask?

3 minutes ago, HSR said:

Yeah I guess I'm thinking from my perspective. Easy to spend a day on the Lake and only see the odd boat pass by or none at all. 

Still, boating/fishing is a great way to relax.:thumbsup:

And after years of doing it, it can get old.

40 minutes ago, Snake said:

I see videos of people taking off out of like Haulover Inlet in Florida and I ask what is the appeal?

I see shit shows on the launch ramp and shake my head.

I saw how much I spent for a day on the water in 2 Sea Doos and wonder wtf does that shit cost in a big boat?

What seems like a life time ago I used to work at a high performance boat dealer down on the CT coast. We used to sell Sunoco race gas by the 55 gallon drum. There were customers that were burning through 5k worth of fuel in a weekend and that is in early 1990 dollars. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Carlos Danger said:

What seems like a life time ago I used to work at a high performance boat dealer down on the CT coast. We used to sell Sunoco race gas by the 55 gallon drum. There were customers that were burning through 5k worth of fuel in a weekend and that is in early 1990 dollars. 

More power to those who like it. Even more to those who can afford shit like that.

Certainly not going to shit on those who don't, can't or simply don't want to. To call it weird is to either pump one's self up or to argue for the sake of arguing.

My guess the post a few up is the latter, not the former... :lol:

2 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

And for the same reason it is much easier to cool and ends up saving space.

Actually they had issues the first few years with the heat, and they had kind of a piss poir oiling system. All that shit worked out by about 2016.

It's a helluva engine. Cool, calm and collected when you want, and a beast when you dont.