Check your account email address ×

Barn finds and limited production vehicles

8 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Why would you put a 403 in it? Just a garbage motor. They actually put them in 79 Trans Ams. 

Right out of college I bought a 79 Monte Carlo, which was a complete underpowered pile of shit. I did the very practical thing and traded it 6 months later on a 79, Trans Am 6.6 with a 403 in it.  That car was torquey, but also an under powered rattling pile of shit.  I ended up putting headers, a functional air scoop and some ignition work, which woke it up quite a bit. It was still a piece of shit, and I have no nostalgia at all for a lot of that old GM stuff. 60s sure, but past 73-74 , hard pass.  That car was dangerous in the rain. at least kept it two years, then traded it on a new Saab turbo. I liked that one so much I kept it two years and bought another one.  I really liked my Saabs back then.

Edited by DriftBusta

• Platinum Contributing Member
26 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

read out of college I bought a 79 Monte Carlo, which was a complete underpowered pile of shit. I did the very practical thing and traded it in on a 79, Trans Am 6.6 with a 403 in it.  That car was torquey, but an under powered rattling pile of shit.  I ended up putting headers a functional air scope and some ignition work, which woke it up quite a bit. It was still a piece of shit, and I have no nostalgia for a lot of that old GM stuff. That car was dangerous in the rain. at least kept it two years, then traded it on a new Saab turbo. I liked that one so much I kept it two years and bought another one.  I really liked my Saabs back then.

I need to like the looks of a car to buy it. SAABS weren't overly attractive to me.

I never understood why they didnt continue putting the 400 Pontiac engine in the Trans Am. But instead they put an Olds station wagon motor in. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve753 said:

I need to like the looks of a car to buy it. SAABS weren't overly attractive to me.

I never understood why they didnt continue putting the 400 Pontiac engine in the Trans Am. But instead they put an Olds station wagon motor in. :lol:

I always had a thing for Pontiacs. In later years I bought a 2005 GTO that had the 400 hp LS2 motor straight out of a Corvette. That was a nice car. Black with red leather seats.

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
17 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I always had a thing for Pontiacs. In later years I bought a 2005 GTO that had the 400 hp LS2 motor straight out of a Corvette. That was a nice car. Black with red leather seats.

Nice car!

27 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I really like the G8 real sleepers 

On 6/6/2023 at 10:59 AM, DriftBusta said:

I had one of those gold tunnel 80 SRXs.  A farmer bought it, scared himself shitless on it and traded it on a fan cooled.  I picked it up with 26 miles on it.  4 of them?!

A guy I go to for vintage sled help has some really rare stuff.  He told me to come pick up his Arctic Cat Quadtrac and get it out of his shed.  I never did, so he sold it to someone in Iowa that restored it.

I'm hoping I have first dibs on a few of his sleds someday.

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Ya, buying with the intentions to store for hopes of making it an investment seems odd but then my Katana I owned for 17 years I only put a thousand miles on. Sometimes just owning it is enough.

I read an article somewhere that said there were tons of people who bought 1978 Corvette Pace cars and stored them away thinking they would be a great investment. But so many people did it that now there are all kinds of low milers out there and the cars have never been worth much.

Many cars get bought as investments.  Sad really.

Only the first to market with their delivery only mile whatever at the BJ may make their money back plus a few bucks.

Ever wonder how those auctions always drag out all the "1 of" cars, like all of the "1 of" cars?  It is because they run the VIN and advertise it as a 1 of 6 that was build it 1970 that is black on tan with the 440 power pack and a manual with a 3.88 rear end and a factory passenger mirror.  You'll sit there a be like "They made lots of those POS's" and the guy will be like "But only 6 of them were ordered with the factory mirror that year."

I have a friend who thinks his like 2006 Impala SS is going to be worth big bucks one day.  Thinks so highly of it, it sits in the corner of the hay shed covered in bird shit.  Then again, he is wired a little different.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Was a super sad day when GM killed off the Holden Commodore.  A 2023 Pontiac or Oldsmobile version with a premium interior would nearly be a perfect family car.  Instead we are left with the neutered pos Malibu.  Sad.

I know where there’s a Grand National that’s been sitting in the same driveway for at least 15 years, maybe more.  A couple years ago it got moved into a field and wrapped in a tarp.  Grass growing up as high as the roof.  Sad to see it that way, it will be junk in a few years I would think.  

1 hour ago, Doug said:

We built one with 350 over 30 years ago!!

she was a handful on the road!

went through several sets of tires!!

always liked the looks of the Vega!!

• Like 2

On 6/17/2023 at 2:20 PM, Doug said:

I enjoy stopping in to see Bob when I see the Green light on, at the Shed, He let my Granddaughter and I fire up a COPO Camaro in the showroom. He's a pure enthusiast. 

Edited by airflite1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, airflite1 said:

I enjoy stopping in to see Bob when I see the Green light on, at the Shed, He let my Granddaughter and I fire up a COPO Camaro in the showroom. He's a pure enthusiast. 

Only met Bob and his wife once at the Shed, after a hockey game, of course.

Rick was always at the TRF and Warroad races poking around and having a great time.  Got to know him since he'd always stop by the trailer.  He gave us a few personal tours of all the cars and the man cave game room thing with all his guitars.