Check your account email address ×

Rock Auto

1 minute ago, HSR said:

:bc: My point was just saying "you want your oil black because it shows its cleaning" is a silly statement as a lot of bad things can be the cause of this. My personal vehicles get regular oil changes and are never "black as the ace of spades" and I like it that way :thumb:

Engine oil I wouldn't get too worked up about color.  In experience it pretty much always comes out black.  Checked my F150 5.0 oil yesterday, think the gauge shows 75% lift left and its black already.  Personally I always change with Mobil 1 High Mileage and factory filter.  Hundreds of thousands of miles on many different vehicles and the engines always look clean.  Oil comes out black, no problem.  Lots of detergents in modern oils and fuels.  Those contaminates end up in the oil and not built up in the engine.

Transmission fluid should be the same color as Rudolph's nose though.  :bc:

• Gold Member

I hit my local Oreillys yesterday, they had everything i needed in stock,  even a part for my Sled trailer ......I dont usually have time to wait 2 days or more for parts, when I am working on something I need the shit that day...:dunno:

Only time I really order Car parts online is Performance and rare JDM stuff for my Prelude. 

11 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

I hit my local Oreillys yesterday, they had everything i needed in stock,  even a part for my Sled trailer ......I dont usually have time to wait 2 days or more for parts, when I am working on something I need the shit that day...:dunno:

Only time I really order Car parts online is Performance and rare JDM stuff for my Prelude. 

I usually pay extra and wait for factory parts or name brand aftermarket parts.  I don't have time to replace something once, let alone do it 2 or 3 times.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

I have to admit, I was totally against O’reilly when they moved in and came over to get our business, but couple of good guys there won me over.  They struggle with employees like every business is.  Had a mixup on a escape battery that resulted in a upset customer who ended up at dealer.  They stood by it and the manager came here and swapped it out.  Not a couple minute job on a escape.  Makes all the difference in the world. 

• Like 2

Have to be careful ordering parts from Amazon or eBay. Lots of counterfeiting going on through both. A friend of mine ordered a Denso O2 sensor for his Lexus off Amazon. While it came in what looked like a denso package, the sensor was a knockoff. Never have to worry about that when ordering through rock auto. 

• Gold Member
48 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

I usually pay extra and wait for factory parts or name brand aftermarket parts.  I don't have time to replace something once, let alone do it 2 or 3 times.

OEM parts are always good. My Wife's 21 Civic only gets Honda parts also. 

My Caddy is old so whatever. 

47 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I have to admit, I was totally against O’reilly when they moved in and came over to get our business, but couple of good guys there won me over.  They struggle with employees like every business is.  Had a mixup on a escape battery that resulted in a upset customer who ended up at dealer.  They stood by it and the manager came here and swapped it out.  Not a couple minute job on a escape.  Makes all the difference in the world. 

Yup I always thought Oreillys was crap but its all I use now if I dont do the local Auto parts store . 

37 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Have to be careful ordering parts from Amazon or eBay. Lots of counterfeiting going on through both. A friend of mine ordered a Denso O2 sensor for his Lexus off Amazon. While it came in what looked like a denso package, the sensor was a knockoff. Never have to worry about that when ordering through rock auto. 

True. Lots of Chinese knock off crap labeled in Japanese box. Happened once to me on some Wheel bearings. 

On 2/2/2023 at 11:08 AM, HSR said:

No it means your oil change intervals are too far apart or your engine is worn out:news:

Truth of the matter is the only true when to know when an oil NEEDS changing is by doing an oil analysis as we did on equipment at work but to say 'you want it to be black' is just silly.

LOL you're an idiot. 

On 2/1/2023 at 8:52 PM, ActionfigureJoe said:

Napa is horrible. Overpriced and staffed with minimum wage imbeciles. I’m not sure where all these people are finding ma and pop auto parts stores. Everything is either advance, autozome, Napa, or oreilly’s. They’re all staffed with non-auto world people. 

Ive heard that from people in other areas. We're lucky to have a small family owned chain (4 stores) that are napa and they are great. Good parts people and fair prices. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Was kind of pissed when the rotors I ordered from rockauto were chinese, but with the shipping involved, I installed them anyway. Should have double checked ahead of time. 

I’ve had really good luck with Bosch rotors. They wear well and the coating lasts for years in the salt belt. 

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Anyone buying wiper blades from anywhere OTHER THAN RA, needs their fucking head examined. 

Other than that, I mix and match. 

I love when they send you closeout emails with 1 fucking wiper blade in the size you need available. :lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I’ve had really good luck with Bosch rotors. They wear well and the coating lasts for years in the salt belt. 

You know they are made in China right? Along with a lot of their parts, their quality has suffered 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

You mean like their fuel pumps? lol 

Yes!! And like their filters, coils, plugs, ect..But spinner doesn't like Chinese "knock off "parts..Hope that rust coating on the hub mount helps with braking performance..:lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

You know they are made in China right? Along with a lot of their parts, their quality has suffered 

Made in Mexico. Ford transits are brutal on rear rotors. They’re also time consuming to replace. Almost 70k and they’re still going strong. I’ll buy ‘‘em again. Sorry about your luck. 

• Gold Member
Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

Made in Mexico. Ford transits are brutal on rear rotors. They’re also time consuming to replace. Almost 70k and they’re still going strong. I’ll buy ‘‘em again. Sorry about your luck. 

what the hell makes transits worse on rear rotors ? 

2 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Why do you just make shit up, 70k on a single set of fucking rotors on a vehicle that is supposedly hard on brakes, what do a vehicle that's not hard on brakes will get 109k plus miles out of a set of rotors?? You actually expect anyone to believe this..And on your second false hood, made in China..

Screenshot_20230207-200528.png

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2023 at 7:15 PM, Rigid1 said:

11.4qt of Motul 0w40 X-clean according to world packs fluid guide, I got the filter for $84 OEM Bentley filter from WP, had the oil on the shelf....Oil change is $770..doing it on Monday

imc still out there? i bought from world pack when it was called world wide trading. free shipping, i think world pack wasn't. you lean toward imports so they are good for you. imc is on the east coast , used to be real good. 

8 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

what the hell makes transits worse on rear rotors ? 

Ford set the brakes up where the rears actuate first to lessen nose diving and possible loss of control. That seems to extract a toll from the rear brakes. Pads are often times gone at 30k and rotors are warped at 50k. I bought my van with mid 50k mikes and it was already on the second set of rear brake pads and the rotors were warped. The rotors are a weird design that require single use bolts. The design doesn’t help heat dissipation. That’s my take on the issue. 

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Ford set the brakes up where the rears actuate first to lessen nose diving and possible loss of control. That seems to extract a toll from the rear brakes. Pads are often times gone at 30k and rotors are warped at 50k. I bought my van with mid 50k mikes and it was already on the second set of rear brake pads and the rotors were warped. The rotors are a weird design that require single use bolts. The design doesn’t help heat dissipation. That’s my take on the issue. 

Guess my Escalade is worse then. Over 200k on it and Ive Never got 70k out of rotors ...Not even the rears :dunno: