Check your account email address ×

Farm Kids….Awesome

11 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

one of our victims was a 1965 chevy malibu. what a shame to field car that thing. but cars like that were 50.00 in the pennysaver. 12.50 each and the 4 of us had some good fun. vw was the best for us. tough little car and i mean beetle , not super beetle. we had one jump that was a long gradual runup ad the top dropped off to level. come in floored in 3rd gear and send her. when i got on the roads i built a baja bug that was pretty nasty. i was a maniac. i was jumping on back roads the same way , scaring the shit out of people. power slide corners on back roads? fuck yeah, all night . party in the woods , quarry or point? no problem . reputation of a crazy bastard and tickets to match ? fuck yeah!

Good friend was a Beetle fanatic. He had 4 for parts and one runner. His dad would scream at us to get all the parts and crap out of his garage cause he couldn’t get in. His dad constantly said he didn’t understand the obsession with those dumb ass bugs. When my bud went off to college with the one running bug and left a mess his dad decided to put one together and restore it. He was hooked and drove that canvas top for 30 more years.

I think if he had those today a canvas top and a convert they would be worth a lot.

17 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Wrestling farm kids while I was in middle school and HS was always a chore. They didn’t need any skill to rag doll ya. Their strength was always super human. Even the smaller guys. 

I always wanted to do sports in school.  To paraphrase my dad, "You kids don't have time for sports, you have chores".

I was one of those wiry little buggers.  I don't remember what grade in school when the P.E. instructor had us doing all sorts of crap like situps, pullups, running, and whatever else.  Each one of those I had to do while the class watched.  I was starting to get pissed by they time they asked me to throw a ball. (I think it was a softball?)  I went out to the field and threw the thing.  The teacher asked me to throw another one, but to throw it further.  Pissed, I said where do you want me to throw the damn thing?  I got a lecture about my language while they sent someone to stand in the field as my aiming point.  I went out, threw the ball over their head and then trotted off to the principle's office to talk about my language.

Nobody ever told me why there was so much fuss about doing all those tests.  Weeks later, the teacher had me stand in front of the class while she did a little speech and handed me a patch?  All that corn shoveling, rock picking, manure pitching, bale throwing, and whatever a farm kid does, earned me a President's fitness award just for showing up that day in P.E.

• Like 2

The kid running cart is 12 when this was shot.  He's been at the wheel for quite a few years.

He's pretty dang good.  Very predictable and consistent.

I think he was in the seat for around 1,800 acres last year.  That cart/tractor combo has been nice for teaching because it's smaller for maneuvering and you can see.  The kids like the auto steer, but it sure helps to see the head.  They are getting a bigger rig with sync this season.  It might be hard keeping them awake.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 5:23 PM, teamgreen02 said:

Didn't grow up on a farm but wasn't in a big city either.  Was probably 18 when I ran one of these for a summer. 12 hour shifts plus drive time 6-7 days per week for the summer.  Harvest speed was about 3 mph so it was a long boring shift.  Luckily these had a radio and mostly functioning AC.  

image.thumb.png.c676c806da7a9d05175e00b9ba8f694a.png

Spent some time in one too.  A day here or there.

We did a lot of trucking for the plant and still grow a bunch.

That is the old Claas cab.  Complete luxury compared the the old New Holland or old 4 wheeled models. 

They even had the Byron trailered pea combines.  Those had to have working AC.  Radiator/engine on one side of the cab, hydraulic tank and coolers on the other.

On 8/31/2022 at 6:23 PM, teamgreen02 said:

Didn't grow up on a farm but wasn't in a big city either.  Was probably 18 when I ran one of these for a summer. 12 hour shifts plus drive time 6-7 days per week for the summer.  Harvest speed was about 3 mph so it was a long boring shift.  Luckily these had a radio and mostly functioning AC.  

image.thumb.png.c676c806da7a9d05175e00b9ba8f694a.png

peas? spent a couple of summers harvesting peas in a FMC harvester, and New Idea uni system picking sweet corn with a 6 row head

9 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

peas? spent a couple of summers harvesting peas in a FMC harvester, and New Idea uni system picking sweet corn with a 6 row head

Yes, peas. Sweet corn is after peas are done but school started so I couldn't do sweet corn.

I grew up in farm country working on farms until late in my junior year in HS when I got a job at one of the local auto/farm parts stores in town. Still helped friends work on their family farms after actual work. Never cared to have to take care of farm animals but LOVE running equipment. Miss it pretty bad, actually. I always tell the wife that if I were to ever hit it big by winning the lotto or whatever, I’m buying my own farm and disappearing. Honest work and the winters off to play. 

On 8/31/2022 at 3:12 PM, spin_dry said:

Wrestling farm kids while I was in middle school and HS was always a chore. They didn’t need any skill to rag doll ya. Their strength was always super human. Even the smaller guys. 

Definitely was true in my day but I don’t think as much anymore. The job has changed a lot 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ACE said:

Definitely was true in my day but I don’t think as much anymore. The job has changed a lot 

I'd agree.  How often do you ever see a worn out scoop shovel or pitchfork anymore?  I can't even think of any farm kids that were fat when I was young.  That has certainly changed.  Dang kids can't cross the yard without a four wheeler.

All kidding aside, it is a whole lot easier to get more done now.

BTW @ACE,  It's dang cool to see your kid teaching his bud.  Is the guy a city slicker?

4 minutes ago, favoritos said:

I'd agree.  How often do you ever see a worn out scoop shovel or pitchfork anymore?  I can't even think of any farm kids that were fat when I was young.  That has certainly changed.  Dang kids can't cross the yard without a four wheeler.

All kidding aside, it is a whole lot easier to get more done now.

BTW @ACE,  It's dang cool to see your kid teaching his bud.  Is the guy a city slicker?

Yeah everything we did was manual labour now there’s machines for almost everything. The job is a lot more planning and organizing now. 

that his best pal. He lives in the country. Neither of his parents are farmers but they both came from the farm. His parents are in the process of a dirty split up so he spends a lot of time here. He’s a country kid at heart for sure though 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, ACE said:

When I was 15-16, I hooked up with my Uncle and cousin to paint barn roofs in Queesnborough ON. On one of our down days/quiet afternoons, my cousins cousin, (his dad's side) asked me if I would help unload a wagon of hay and place it in the barn. I could tell by the smirk on his face when asking, because I was a city boy, I'd balk at the idea, but when I said sure (I wasn't afraid of hard work) we proceeded to unload the whole wagon and conveyor it up into the barn loft. (I did the wagon, he was in the loft)

Not really thinking nothing of it because it was fun for me/something to do, I couldn't believe how thankful this boy and his parents were of me. Small towns carry news fast :D The next day, and even a day after that, I was still the talk of the town. My Father, who most also knew being a farmer himself (he left his dads farm at 16-17) also heard about it from some of them via a phone call. As my proud dad said to them, I guess it's in his blood, maybe holds true? 

https://www.google.com/search?q=queensborough+ontario&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA925CA925&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&vet=1&fir=Lg4mbl8Cd-YhhM%2CZdBZ0EjbrOLZOM%2C%2Fm%2F05b034l&usg=AI4_-kQGrGj8H4DL4fqP3dmlOuL48SbBNg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwieqLGSkPn5AhUFrIkEHXHcDoMQ_B16BAhmEAE#imgrc=Lg4mbl8Cd-YhhM

Edited by irv
  • Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, ACE said:

Yeah everything we did was manual labour now there’s machines for almost everything. The job is a lot more planning and organizing now. 

that his best pal. He lives in the country. Neither of his parents are farmers but they both came from the farm. His parents are in the process of a dirty split up so he spends a lot of time here. He’s a country kid at heart for sure though 

Ahhh that sucks but glad he has a place to get away from it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, irv said:

When I was 15-16, I hooked up with my Uncle and cousin to paint barn roofs in Queesnborough ON. On one of our down days/quiet afternoons, my cousins cousin, (his dad's side) asked me if I would help unload a wagon of hay and place it in the barn. I could tell by the smirk on his face when asking, because I was a city boy, I'd balk at the idea, but when I said sure (I wasn't afraid of hard work) we proceeded to unload the whole wagon and conveyor it up into the barn loft. (I did the wagon, he was in the loft)

Not really thinking nothing of it because it was fun for me/something to do, I couldn't believe how thankful this boy and his parents were of me. Small towns carry news fast :D The next day, and even a day after that, I was still the talk of the town. My Father, who most also knew being a farmer himself (he left his dads farm at 16-17) also heard about it from some of them via a phone call. As my proud dad said to them, I guess it's in his blood, maybe holds true? 

https://www.google.com/search?q=queensborough+ontario&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA925CA925&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&vet=1&fir=Lg4mbl8Cd-YhhM%2CZdBZ0EjbrOLZOM%2C%2Fm%2F05b034l&usg=AI4_-kQGrGj8H4DL4fqP3dmlOuL48SbBNg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwieqLGSkPn5AhUFrIkEHXHcDoMQ_B16BAhmEAE#imgrc=Lg4mbl8Cd-YhhM

Nice. In ways those were simpler times too 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ACE said:

Nice. In ways those were simpler times too 

They certainly were, and reflecting now, I wish I could go back. 

3 hours ago, ACE said:

I suppose. I clearly remember the guys who lifted a lot of weights not having the workable strength of those on the farm. I guess it’s called functional strength now. Farm kids were usually kind and considerate. Never into hassling others. 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

I suppose. I clearly remember the guys who lifted a lot of weights not having the workable strength of those on the farm. I guess it’s called functional strength now. Farm kids were usually kind and considerate. Never into hassling others. 

Yeah. Especially ranchers kids. All they did was hard labour and had real retard strength 

• Haha 1