Check your account email address ×

Polaris Safety Stop Ride Notice

On 8/31/2022 at 10:13 AM, Bontz said:

This is 100% a CYA (cover your ass) by Polaris, given their history with fire hazards.  Only 30 cases over 230K units?  I say they can suck a dick.  Go about this season BAU and prep/clean/ride as you normally would.  Play the "I added fresh fuel" card.

I have 3 sleds in that recall group and never even heard of such things happening in all these years. I'm gonna keep going. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Roosting said:

So I'm speculating wildly here but it may be possible while a phase separation is occurring that the induced movement of the 2 liquids separating could build up a charge. Especially if both liquids have a different molecular charge. 

It would be similar to a galvanic voltage that is produced in dissimilar metals. 

Proper grounding would take care of this issue.

No. Stop with the phase separation bs. That’s not the cause. Even if it was, don’t ya think they would call it out and tell people to swap the fuel for fresh or rec fuel? 

4 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

No. Stop with the phase separation bs. That’s not the cause. Even if it was, don’t ya think they would call it out and tell people to swap the fuel for fresh or rec fuel? 

well since the fans are not included this could be a valid point

21 hours ago, Anler said:

I have 3 sleds in that recall group and never even heard of such things happening in all these years. I'm gonna keep going. 

My matryx has over 3k on it. If it was going to happen you’d think it would have by now. :dunno: 

1 hour ago, Doomxz600 said:

Wife got a text message from our insurance company asking if we knew about the stop ride notice. They already knew our sled is part of this and we never discussed it with them.

Interesting.  Who's your insurance company?

14 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

That or they would tell you fill the tank with water and take it to the dealer. Something in the tank must some how causing a spark and it is blowing up like a boat when someone doesn’t run their blowers 

• Like 1

Northstarrick made an interesting observation on HCS that the sleds with mechanical fuel gauges and fan cooled sleds are not included in the recall. Just the ones with the electronic gauges. His theory is that the fire hazard is related to the rheostat on the float arm. To quote the Rick:

so after doing some research and having a 2015 800 assault in my shop. that does not have a electric fuel gauge in it. this is not part of the recall either. so it seems the open rheostat on the end of the float arm is where the spark is coming from. 12vdc power. so it's not a ground issue if this is the case? i have a octane and a reed vapor pressure tester. dealing with race fuel you need to have these to be sure your race fuel is fresh. state fuel looses it's light ends. so old ethanol fuel that doesn't absorb water looses it's vapor pressure when the alcohol evaporates from it. now low physical fuel and no vapor pressure when colder. the key here. all summer long pressure builds in the fuel tank from heat. this pressure is bleed to the atmosphere via a pressure valve. i a injected sled. then when cooler air is drawn back into the fuel tank via a one way check valve. so now you have air with oxygen in the tank. no vapor coming from the fuel to keep air out. and a small spark from the fuel gauge is all it takes for a fire to happen. it won't happen if you even add 1-2 gallons of fresh fuel."
  • Like 2

Was at the dealer Fri picking up my sxs  thay had at least 30 new sleds sitting in the back lot all sold and assembled but can not be delivered to consumer . Blue and grey was a popular choice this yr from what I could see . 

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Ziemann said:

Northstarrick made an interesting observation on HCS that the sleds with mechanical fuel gauges and fan cooled sleds are not included in the recall. Just the ones with the electronic gauges. His theory is that the fire hazard is related to the rheostat on the float arm. To quote the Rick:

so after doing some research and having a 2015 800 assault in my shop. that does not have a electric fuel gauge in it. this is not part of the recall either. so it seems the open rheostat on the end of the float arm is where the spark is coming from. 12vdc power. so it's not a ground issue if this is the case? i have a octane and a reed vapor pressure tester. dealing with race fuel you need to have these to be sure your race fuel is fresh. state fuel looses it's light ends. so old ethanol fuel that doesn't absorb water looses it's vapor pressure when the alcohol evaporates from it. now low physical fuel and no vapor pressure when colder. the key here. all summer long pressure builds in the fuel tank from heat. this pressure is bleed to the atmosphere via a pressure valve. i a injected sled. then when cooler air is drawn back into the fuel tank via a one way check valve. so now you have air with oxygen in the tank. no vapor coming from the fuel to keep air out. and a small spark from the fuel gauge is all it takes for a fire to happen. it won't happen if you even add 1-2 gallons of fresh fuel."

That's actually a really good explanation. However I thought it was about a possible static charge igniting fuel and not an electrical charge. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Anler said:

That's actually a really good explanation. However I thought it was about a possible static charge igniting fuel and not an electrical charge. 

And the fact that not all sleds affected by the recall have electric fuel gauges. 

Just started the Indy a little while ago. Clearly I’m still here to talk about it. It’s been sitting since April. Turn the key to start and it fired right up, totally uneventful and all. Still has 3 gallons of E10 premium in the tank from the last ride too. I did treat it though. Even started the RMK for good measure. The barn smelt lovely. 

• Like 2

On 9/2/2022 at 11:52 AM, Edmo said:

My matryx has over 3k on it. If it was going to happen you’d think it would have by now. :dunno: 

On 9/2/2022 at 12:55 PM, Anler said:

30 sleds out of 230,000? I'm not worried

You two are going to kill us all.