Check your account email address ×

Polaris Safety Stop Ride Notice

24 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

The tank has a breather/vent or it would collapse when running or expand/burst when it got hot,... vapors escape 24/7

Yup but the opening for the fuel pump is bigger than a vent emitting much more vapor.

• Platinum Contributing Member
51 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Seems odd that is would be degraded fuel. Isn’t fresh fuel more volatile? 

ONe would think. Few yrs back I emptied the fuel from my log splitter. Shit looked like orange juice. I threw it on a small fire and it put the fire out.

24 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Yes. I understand phase separation. Still doesn’t explain the problem. Unless I’m missing something. 

Once the fuel has phase separationed the fuel on the top is less stable. 

Don't have anymore details on the recall just know the ethanol blended fuel's and what we need to check and look for.  We need to have a ground rod 8 to 10 ft deep and everything grounded before we can pump any fuel. 

28 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

What is it you do?

Sales rep for power equipment and parts, but that's changing shortly, took a job offer yesterday, putting in my 2 weeks notice next week after 26 years with the same company

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Rigid1 said:

Sales rep for power equipment and parts, but that's changing shortly, took a job offer yesterday, putting in my 2 weeks notice next week after 26 years with the same company

Congrats on the new gig!👊🏻

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Power Distibutors?

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Congratulations on the new job! That's awesome!

That also makes sense in the fuel/oil samples. We do fuel samples for every load/discharge and our engineer does oil samples for Cat every oil change or so. Amazing what the oil analysis reveals!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Congrats Tony :bc: 

25 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Best of luck on your new job.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Congratulations on the new job! That's awesome!

That also makes sense in the fuel/oil samples. We do fuel samples for every load/discharge and our engineer does oil samples for Cat every oil change or so. Amazing what the oil analysis reveals!

I test mostly for mix oil and fuel ratios on 2strokes if something popped under warranty and it's an expensive unit, occasionally a 4stroke, but you can see it's water bound just by looking at it.

And thanks B!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Negative, one of my competitors 

Friend worked for them and retired last year. 

What's the new opportunity?

Edited by Doug

• Gold Member
3 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Exactly. We need some more information here. Plus every manu would be effected, hell anything with a gas tank would be effected.

Probably a grounding issue or cheap chink plastic. Grounding to prevent esd is why you're supposed to fill a gas gan on the ground.

We use specialized types of plastics in machines we build for an explosives company, they need to be tested for conductivity before we use them. Some plastics barely conduct. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
27 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Probably a grounding issue or cheap chink plastic. Grounding to prevent esd is why you're supposed to fill a gas gan on the ground.

We use specialized types of plastics in machines we build for an explosives company, they need to be tested for conductivity before we use them. Some plastics barely conduct. 

I am a TankermanPIC on a fuel barge. For this to be a FUEL issue for Polaris then it should be an issue on Cat/Doo/Yam. Otherwise it's something more than fuel.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Kivalo said:

I am a TankermanPIC on a fuel barge. For this to be a FUEL issue for Polaris then it should be an issue on Cat/Doo/Yam. Otherwise it's something more than fuel.

I doubt it's fuel, filling the tank displaces the vapors and air and as you know air and vapor mixture is what explodes. :bc:

• Like 1

I wonder what material composition is used on those tanks?  Electrostatic build up doesn't seem to be an issue with tons of other vehicles.

The best bet to figure this one out is what is the same on those sleds.  It is an odd combination of machines over a long time.

Interesting side observation.  Our local dealer just had a large storage building go poof.  It was at his home place and filled with lots of toys.  Sounds like some pretty good money in cars alone.  I sure hope that fire wasn't related to this issue.

from what I gathered, sounds like separated fuel is more unstable during phase separation,, may create more vapors,, if it is a true ESD as the cause, something moving in the tank has to cause it , cant see a external ESD doing that,, keeping the pump fully submerged is a  lesser chance of a spark,  ,my best guess is its a fuel pump issue, ESD claim is Russian disinformation found on HB lap top

12 hours ago, Kivalo said:

I got it too.

If its caused by degraded fuel then 1: why is only Axyis/Maytrix models and 2: why don't other Manu's have the same issue?

It’s not from degraded fuel. 

12 hours ago, Bontz said:

I was noodling on that as well ... I mean, ESD should have the ability to spark any fume regardless of fresh or old gas.  At least one would think?

Old gas is actually less volatile. Especially ethanol blended fuel full of water. 

12 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Seems odd that is would be degraded fuel. Isn’t fresh fuel more volatile? 

Correct. 

If the tank is full, there’s less of a chance for ESD to build up. I’m guessing this is a fuel pump grounding or ESD due to fuel tank material composition issue.