Check your account email address ×

****Official Pet Photo Thread****

ckf

All of a sudden two days ago, he became very lethargic and slow moving. He was walking really stiff. so we waited a day because the last time we took him to a vet with an issue he was perfectly fine the next day after a $450 visit.

well last night when I came home, he could barely pick himself up off the bottom of his crate. he didn't eat much the night before or yesterday either.

so I went to the vet last night and they're wondering if it's an autoimmune meningitis. But they gave me some metacam and said he seems stable, heart rate breathing and pulse were all good. but he did have a fever of 39.8 and he did not want to really move his head around, his neck was hard to move side to side.

they suggested that we boil hamburger and rice and see if that would help with his eating. well he devoured the beef and rice last night and he seemed better but he was still very lethargic and not himself.

Tonight I come home from work and he is lying on the couch which is unusual unless somebody else's in the room with him. when he saw me he wagged his tail pretty crazy but he didn't even lift his head off the couch. 

so I went to go take him for a walk so I didn't know when the last time he went to the bathroom was and when I went to help him off the couch and moved his neck he yelped like I've never heard before. 

So I called the vet again because his condition seems to have worsened and they fit me in as they were supposed to close 10 minutes ago. it was originally supposed to be a full blood panel and x-ray visit but she is not thinking it's a fracture so she's not going to do the X-ray but she's taking a full blood panel. 

Sorry if a lot of this doesn't make sense I was using talk to text lol

9 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

All of a sudden two days ago, he became very lethargic and slow moving. He was walking really stiff. so we waited a day because the last time we took him to a vet with an issue he was perfectly fine the next day after a $450 visit.

well last night when I came home, he could barely pick himself up off the bottom of his crate. he didn't eat much the night before or yesterday either.

so I went to the vet last night and they're wondering if it's an autoimmune meningitis. But they gave me some metacam and said he seems stable, heart rate breathing and pulse were all good. but he did have a fever of 39.8 and he did not want to really move his head around, his neck was hard to move side to side.

they suggested that we boil hamburger and rice and see if that would help with his eating. well he devoured the beef and rice last night and he seemed better but he was still very lethargic and not himself.

Tonight I come home from work and he is lying on the couch which is unusual unless somebody else's in the room with him. when he saw me he wagged his tail pretty crazy but he didn't even lift his head off the couch. 

so I went to go take him for a walk so I didn't know when the last time he went to the bathroom was and when I went to help him off the couch and moved his neck he yelped like I've never heard before. 

So I called the vet again because his condition seems to have worsened and they fit me in as they were supposed to close 10 minutes ago. it was originally supposed to be a full blood panel and x-ray visit but she is not thinking it's a fracture so she's not going to do the X-ray but she's taking a full blood panel. 

Whew!  Man, that sucks.  I hope it works out ok.  Best of luck.  Keep us posted.

17 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

last time we had a dog go to the emergency vet he was falling over after eating a pot cookie.  Hope this is nothing serious

Last time for us was finding out my “polar bear cub” had a massive cancerous tumor that ruptured.  He was gone the next morning.  Just heart breaking.

16 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Almost sounds like wobblers disease

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Whew!  Man, that sucks.  I hope it works out ok.  Best of luck.  Keep us posted.

Last time for us was finding out my “polar bear cub” had a massive cancerous tumor that ruptured.  He was gone the next morning.  Just heart breaking.

Will do and thank you. 

This is is kind of why I didn't want dogs lol. He is my buddy and it is killing me to see him like this.

• Sad 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
21 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Will do and thank you. 

This is is kind of why I didn't want dogs lol. He is my buddy and it is killing me to see him like this.

Keep us posted, sorry man..

Well the blood panel came back perfect. Can't see anything wrong there.

So they started him on a steroid and a antibiotic.

They were asking if he had diarrhea or was drooling. I said no. Well within 10 mins of coming home, he has had and is doing both lmao.

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

He didn't get into antifreeze did he ?

No. He was in the house all day. So in the morning my other half takes the dogs on a long walk and then he is in the house by himself while we are at work. In the time between the morning walk and coming home after work, he turned into this.

It seems his neck is super stiff and sore. Doesn't like to move it. 

42 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

No. He was in the house all day. So in the morning my other half takes the dogs on a long walk and then he is in the house by himself while we are at work. In the time between the morning walk and coming home after work, he turned into this.

It seems his neck is super stiff and sore. Doesn't like to move it. 

I would assume the vet looked inside his mouth for blockage of some sort? Not that dogs do this, that I know of, but one of our old cats ate a thread with a needle on it that my wife had left out.

He hid under our bed and would not eat of drink and acted just like your dog for a couple of days. Off to the vet and they found the needle lodged through his tongue into the roof of his mouth. 

Just something to consider/look at just in case?

7 minutes ago, irv said:

I would assume the vet looked inside his mouth for blockage of some sort? Not that dogs do this, that I know of, but one of our old cats ate a thread with a needle on it that my wife had left out.

He hid under our bed and would not eat of drink and acted just like your dog for a couple of days. Off to the vet and they found the needle lodged through his tongue into the roof of his mouth. 

Just something to consider/look at just in case?

Yes. Vet checked air way. The also gave him two x rays today and didn't see anything

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Yes. Vet checked air way. The also gave him two x rays today and didn't see anything

Well, the fact he ate the hamburger is good.  Hell, could have hurt himself playing with one of your others.  

I’m hopeful he’ll be ok in a day or two.

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Well, the fact he ate the hamburger is good.  Hell, could have hurt himself playing with one of your others.  

I’m hopeful he’ll be ok in a day or two.

Well he isn't eating tonight. And he needs to eat to take his meds

15 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

There’s got to be something he’ll eat.  

Tried cheese, dog treats of three different flavours, ground beef. He normally devours all of that like it will be his last meal

Edited by Tomas.

18 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Tried cheese, dog treats of three different flavours, ground beef. He normally devours all of that like it will be his last meal

Sorry if I missed it but are his meds in the pill form? Dab a bit of butter/margarine on it/them then down the hatch they go. If you can, rub his throat immediately after as this will induce him to swallow.

Good luck. :bc:

Edited by irv

He eats!!!! Finally got some meds into him. I guess pills stuffed in cheese the third time around worked lol.

Unfortunately when he tried to get up off the floor from where he was laying, he was yelping in pain till he was able to not need his head to get up.

Now he is just standing, whimpering. He knows getting back up again will be a struggle.

1 minute ago, Tomas. said:

He eats!!!! Finally got some meds into him. I guess pills stuffed in cheese the third time around worked lol.

Unfortunately when he tried to get up off the floor from where he was laying, he was yelping in pain till he was able to not need his head to get up.

Now he is just standing, whimpering. He knows getting back up again will be a struggle.

I feel sorry for the poor guy, and you, but glad to hear you got the meds into him.

A few yelps of pain last night with trying to get himself up was hard to listen to but it was even harder to hear him whimper as he was just sitting there afraid to lie down.

But this morning he seems a little better. Even ate some kibble and had some water that we elevated for him because he can't reach the ground.

They said with the steroid that if they were correct about the meningitis, we should be seeing improvements in 24-48 hours. Today on my way home I need to pick up his script for some antibiotics and hopefully the vet got it right and he will be his old self in two weeks.

Will post more pictures of the little fella (now at 91.8 lbs as of two days ago) when I get home. 

Thank you all for your consideration and concern. 

On a side note, when I was at the vet they were selling calenders for dogs with cancer. I was going to get one until I noticed every month was a different story about a dog that died or almost died from cancer and I couldn't handle reading those let alone looking at it everyday. About crushed me.

Calendar bought, but no calendar was taken lol.

Edited by Tomas.
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

A few yelps of pain last night with trying to get himself up was hard to listen to but it was even harder to hear him whimper as he was just sitting there afraid to lie down.

But this morning he seems a little better. Even ate some kibble and had some water that we elevated for him because he can't reach the ground.

They said with the steroid that if they were correct about the meningitis, we should be seeing improvements in 24-48 hours. Today on my way home I need to pick up his script for some antibiotics and hopefully the vet got it right and he will be his old self in two weeks.

Will post more pictures of the little fella (now at 91.8 lbs as of two days ago) when I get home. 

Thank you all for your consideration and concern. 

On a side note, when I was at the vet they were selling calenders for dogs with cancer. I was going to get one until I noticed every month was a different story about a dog that died or almost died from cancer and I couldn't handle reading those let alone looking at it everyday. About crushed me.

Calendar bought, but no calendar was taken lol.

Glad to hear he may be turning a corner.  Dogs, like people, get hurt too.  It’s just painful to try and figure out where the pain is to help them.  Sometimes rest is the best answer.

I hear you the calendar type stuff.  The vast majority of our charity giving goes to animal charities and our local shelters.  I just can’t bear to hear the stories...much less witness them.  It’s painful....and sometimes infuriating.