Check your account email address ×

Red states like Florida and Texas are doing better in the post-pandemic economy than blue states, WSJ reports

• Platinum Contributing Member

:news:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/red-states-florida-texas-doing-better-post-pandemic-economy-blue-states-wsj-reports

"Red states have added 341,000 jobs over that time, while blue states were still short 1.3 million jobs as of May."

Mitchell cited several high-profile companies, including Citadel and Caterpillar, as organizations moving from blue to red states.

He also pointed to a Moody analysis which revealed a trend of workers moving to red states, noting that "Remote work allowed many workers to move to red states, not because of political preferences, but for financial and lifestyle reasons—cheaper housing, better weather, less traffic and lower taxes." 

Notably, financial, lifestyle, and tax differences across the states have a lot to do with politics. 

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

Nothing to do with cheap and sometimes illegal labor.

More to do with hospitable business climate, warm weather, Ocean access, and growing population. Florida has had 3 million more residents since COVID

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

minimum wage-

10.00 Florida

7.50 Texas

15.50 California

13.20 New York 

Don't forget you are taxed to death in California and New York. 

• Like 2

People are flocking to Florida in droves

In 2020, 167 people moved into Florida for every 100 who left. In 2021, that number surged to 210 inbound residents for every 100 who left, meaning more than twice as many people moved into the state than left it.May 24, 2022

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

minimum wage-

10.00 Florida

7.50 Texas

15.50 California

13.20 New York 

Seems to me it had most to do with states opting out of federal unemployment benifits for COVID and opening their states back up to a more normal lifestyle and getting people off the govt teat.

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IN/IN11679

Listed below are the 26 states that formally notified DOL they were terminating their agreements to pay COVID-19 UI benefits (and the effective termination date, if applicable):  Alabama (6/19/21)  Alaska (FPUC/MEUC only; 6/19/21)  Arkansas (6/26/21)  Arizona (FPUC/MEUC only; 7/10/21)  Florida (FPUC/MEUC only; 6/26/21)

 Georgia (6/26/21)  Idaho (6/19/21)  Indiana (due to state court order, PUA, PEUC, and FPUC continue to be payable; MEUC is terminated effective 7/19/21)  Iowa (6/12/21)  Louisiana (7/31/21)  Maryland (due to state court order, PUA, PEUC, FPUC, and MEUC continue to be payable)  Mississippi (6/12/21)  Missouri(6/12/21)  Montana (6/26/21)  Nebraska (6/19/21)  New Hampshire (6/19/21)  North Dakota (6/19/21)  Ohio (FPUC/MEUC only; 6/26/21)  Oklahoma (6/26/21)  South Carolina (6/26/21)  South Dakota (6/26/21)  Tennessee (7/3/21)  Texas (6/26/21)  Utah (6/26/21)  West Virginia (6/19/21)  Wyoming (retroactively opted out of MEUC; 6/19/21)

Some states announced that they are replacing the federal COVID-19 UI benefits with back-to-work bonuses to be paid by Coronavirus Relief Fund (CRF) monies. These back-to-work bonuses provide a lump sum payment to individuals previously receiving UI benefits who are

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

minimum wage-

10.00 Florida tax burden 9.1

7.50 Texas tax burden 8.6

15.50 California tax burden 13.5

13.20 New York tax burden 15.9

odd that...

44 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

minimum wage-

10.00 Florida

7.50 Texas

15.50 California

13.20 New York 

LoL that falls directly on your boy's lap clown boy. How many this year already? 1M?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roosting said:

LoL that falls directly on your boy's lap clown boy. How many this year already? 1M?

A clown doesn’t understand minimum wage laws.
No……states set their minimum. The fed has a minimum but the states don’t have to use it.

5 hours ago, Mainecat said:

minimum wage-

10.00 Florida

7.50 Texas

15.50 California

13.20 New York 

So are you saying raising the minimum wage hurts the economy?

4 hours ago, EvilBird said:

Ill be in Florida for 8 days next week visiting family....cant wait best State in the Country at this point. :usflag:

Where abouts ?   

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Cold War said:

Where abouts ?   

I got 3 Sister in-laws down there and one is pregnant so we are visiting. 

2 live in Vero Beach, one lives in Ft Lauderdale ...and we are staying in Orlando for 3 nights at the Hyatt for the kids to swim and shit and might do Universal 

12 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

I got 3 Sister in-laws down there and one is pregnant so we are visiting. 

2 live in Vero Beach, one lives in Ft Lauderdale ...and we are staying in Orlando for 3 nights at the Hyatt for the kids to swim and shit and might do Universal 

Most of my family live in Ft. Lauderdale,  but we don’t like it there. :lol: 

we stay in Orlando with the kids in December and spend the rest of time in Ft. Myers.  
Universal is my favorite.  Not really a fan of the rest.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cold War said:

we stay in Orlando with the kids in December and spend the rest of time in Ft. Myers.  

The traffic in Orlando is like LA now. I’d be happy if I never have to go back there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Been down to Ft Myers a few times now from my parents snow birding there and really like the area. Prices are going up and up and…..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Edmo said:

The traffic in Orlando is like LA now. I’d be happy if I never have to go back there.

Oh yeah.  Brutal.  I don’t know how people do that shit everyday.  I would kill myself if I had to drive it everyday. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Been down to Ft Myers a few times now from my parents snow birding there and really like the area. Prices are going up and up and…..

It is a great area .  My wife has family in Cape Coral.  A lot more reasonable. Not so congested on the west side.  

• Like 1

• Gold Member

Lots of traffic in FL in the cities .....fucking sucks . 

I always laugh too at my family, anytime we have to drive anywhere they are like "oh its just a short drive, just the next town over " which means an Hour at least. 

Im use to CT ..im outta the State in a hour xD

Ft Myers is a nice area , my Dad has a lot in Punta Gorda just north of that on the canal,  plans to retire there. 

Never been to Florida in the heart of summer.  We keep saying we are going to go, just to see if we can handle the heat if we make  a permanent move.   

Northern Michigan in the summertime is hard to beat. Leaving for Boyne in the morning. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Never been to Florida in the heart of summer.  We keep saying we are going to go, just to see if we can handle the heat if we make  a permanent move.   

Northern Michigan in the summertime is hard to beat. Leaving for Boyne in the morning. 

ive been a bunch in July and August ....fucking stupid hot. 

ok for vacation , working tho? shit i don't know about that. 

Edited by EvilBird

1 minute ago, EvilBird said:

Lots of traffic in FL in the cities .....fucking sucks . 

I always laugh too at my family, anytime we have to drive anywhere they are like "oh its just a short drive, just the next town over " which means an Hour at least. 

Im use to CT ..im outta the State in a hour xD

Ft Myers is a nice area , my Dad has a lot in Punta Gorda just north of that on the canal,  plans to retire there. 

Right.  10 minutes to drive 10 miles here …Not a hour and half!  :wall: