Check your account email address ×

The 2017 Iron Dog Thread

2 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I have buds with newer Doo's , we have to burp them if we are going deep in the bush. Pushing up and down on the back bumper works the best. The damn things will go from full to 1/2  20 min into a ride. We feel the fill neck is way to small?:dunno:

its the tank shape to support the seat,  little high to the back they changed it with the g4,  I just start fueling then kneel on the back so i don't have to burp it at the end.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I have buds with newer Doo's , we have to burp them if we are going deep in the bush. Pushing up and down on the back bumper works the best. The damn things will go from full to 1/2  20 min into a ride. We feel the fill neck is way to small?:dunno:

My AXYS SKS is the same way.  Gotta burp it, to get that extra 1/2-1 gallon in.

45 minutes ago, hunt_ak said:

Hey Back Country Rebel,  this is Kyle's dad, Marty, who has been trying to crank out some summaries the last 3 days.  I have a question....in the last photo I posted of Team #8 fueling up at Kokrines I noticed that both sleds had someone on the bumper holding it down.  Are they tilting the sled to get the most amount of fuel in or burping out air bubbles or something of that sort?

Well I hope that no one other than one of the two team mates are touching the sleds during refueling.  As can be seen on page 18 of the rule book I posted above, in section 13.2.1, "no other assistance of any kind including physical contact with the pit crew is permitted".  It is 100% against the rules for anyone other than the racers themselves, to touch anyones sled.  

5 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

My AXYS SKS is the same way.  Gotta burp it, to get that extra 1/2-1 gallon in.

I am looking hard at the SKS. The major price drop on the 17 sitting at the dealers is telling me something is coming out to replace it?A bud just picked up a 17 600 with ES for $9200.  The 800 is at $10,900. 

45 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I am looking hard at the SKS. The major price drop on the 17 sitting at the dealers is telling me something is coming out to replace it?A bud just picked up a 17 600 with ES for $9200.  The 800 is at $10,900. 

Its a wicked good sled.  2200 miles and about 90 hrs.  Other than the top speed of about 80 mph, its built well, handles good and is reliable.  Still on original belt.   I paid all the money for mine on a snow check.  The hood panels, PIDD guage, and headlights are the best in the biz right now.  Only thing I really hate are the tight footwells, and I'm not crazy about the bar bend, but thats fixable.

Edited by DriftBusta

19 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Team 8 refueling between Ruby and Tanana.  Even a 600 etec can't get much better than 6mpg when running WOT.

16997269_10155033095517733_1612556400_n.

I will just leave this here for everyone to ponder.

16938565_10211029694891036_2880607509304

well they are between ruby and tanana so help would be acceptable  

• Like 1

• Gold Member
40 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Team 8 refueling between Ruby and Tanana.  Even a 600 etec can't get much better than 6mpg when running WOT.

16997269_10155033095517733_1612556400_n.

I will just leave this here for everyone to ponder.

16938565_10211029694891036_2880607509304

Think locals weighting the sled in the back is an issue???  Looks like one of the racers is fueling the sled with the can by himself besides the guy pushing on the back of the sled.  Also appears the other guy sitting there on the sled getting a lot of assistance dumping that can in....

does any of that violate the no contact rule?????

Edited by BOHICA

9 hours ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Team 8 and 41 as they pulled through Unalakleet yesterday.  Sleds look pretty darn good compares to most of the rest.  

16836706_10154561829589615_7345467263554

16797680_10154561829784615_7002620639676

15 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

It would suck to take the flag and lose on a technicality.

5 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Fill a Doo with a 5 gal can is painfull. It would suck for this team to get pinched on this?:pc:

A few of the Doo racers in the I-500 were carrying extra gas on them and would try to get a spare person at gas stops to help burp their sleds.  

11 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Fill a Doo with a 5 gal can is painfull. It would suck for this team to get pinched on this?:pc:

It sucks when you stuff a team on 4th and goal with a minute on the clock and then there is an illegal use of the hands penalty on the defense resulting in a 1st down for the offense, rules.

The fill neck just sucks on them. It's a topic of discussion when I ride with Doo boys. It's a known problem with the small off set fill hole. There must be a reason why Doo keeps making them this way. One of the biggest complaints with Doo owners and it's been going on for years???

48 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

For fuel and engine oil only.  There are several other pictures on FB of people pushing on the rear bumpers or standing/pushing down on the running boards of Team 8 sleds at a few different check points.  

The deal is if the other teams are doing it no one will protest.  If the top 3 or 4 teams are not allowing anyone to touch their sleds then there may be a protest.  No one can protest except another race team.  These guys are all good friends but with close to $80k ($65k plus contingency monies) on the line for the winners it will be hard for a team who followed every rule to turn their cheek at something like this.

Edited by Back Country Rebel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mileage Psycho said:

It sucks when you stuff a team on 4th and goal with a minute on the clock and then there is an illegal use of the hands penalty on the defense resulting in a 1st down for the offense, rules.

Looks like they have done this at a few fuel stops. Rules are rules. Sucks,but it's a known problem with Doo's not just with this race.

27 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

It would suck to take the flag and lose on a technicality.

Even though the rules clearly say a fueling infraction is a disqualification I highly doubt they would be disqualified.  If one of the other teams protests and ID finds in favor of the protest then it will likely result in time added to Team 8's course time.  The crazy part is all of these teams know the no touching rule.  They have been told it several times in the 2 weeks leading up to the start of the race.  Many times in the past teams have been penalized for breaking the no touching rule.  Teams have been penalized when a bystander hands them a tool while they are working on their sleds.  No Outside Help means exactly that.  

2 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I would think they know the risk,but the sled running out of gas when leading the race is more than 80k to the MFG. At this point ,every team that finishes wins this race. Just a thought. :dunno:

All true.  But, if they know they have a refuelling issue and they know it's against the rules for a non racer to touch their sleds then you would think the team mates would help each other by pushing down on each others sleds.  It may take a few minutes longer to refuel but no one would question whether they broke the rules or not.  

27 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

The fill neck just sucks on them. It's a topic of discussion when I ride with Doo boys. It's a known problem with the small off set fill hole. There must be a reason why Doo keeps making them this way. One of the biggest complaints with Doo owners and it's been going on for years???

very hard to suck old gas out with there crap tanks also