Check your account email address ×

The 2017 Iron Dog Thread

2 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Question, do they all run the same size engines?? 

600 class race so there have been a few teams that have run nytros but otherwise they are on 600's. 129's or 137's for the most part it seems.  

Edited by Angry ginger
  • Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Angry ginger said:

600 class race so there have been a few teams that have run nitros but otherwise they are on 600's. 129's or 137's for the most part it seems.  

cool, thanks, i was wondering if any 4strokes show up in the mix..:bc:

1 hour ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Hahahaha.  

South Korea, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong.  Our oldest lives in South Korea.  We are gonna go visit her and her husband and then bop around for a few weeks.  Only gone a month so you can't hit it all.  Should be fun.

Damn dude you're making rethink future plans :thumb: Be sure to post up pics of your travels!!

Team 8 and 41 sleds look great, I really like the colour scheme on the Cat's :bc: 

Team 8 refueling this morning.  It's been snowing and blowing all across Interior Alaska the last two days.  I also read that there is a nasty ice shelf just 4 miles out of Galena.  Several teams hit it and crashed early this morning.  

Take a look at the upper a-arm on Tysons sled below.  I'm not sure if it's supposed to look like that.  

16864934_1907749166129145_44983143519260

• Like 1

So most of the teams are getting rested up for their push to Tanana this afternoon and evening.  Some are laid over in Galena, 60 miles from Ruby. and some are already in Ruby. Ruby to Tanana is the longest stretch on the trail with no checkpoint for 120 miles. This is complicated further by fresh snow between the two stops.

Racers are allowed to get fuel from their pilots, who either land or air drop. If flying weather isn't good today, then the racers will have to find someone from Tanana to haul some fuel back to them. Without extra fuel there is little chance the leaders will be able to make it the entire 120 miles on their 15 gallons of fuel.  

Report is that Ruby to Tanana trail is not broken now, but Arnold Marks Jr. will be leaving in about 45 minutes from Tanana, headed toward Galena.

Team 8, Aklestad/Johnson have a 24 minute lead over Davis/Simons.  Team 8 will be leading and breaking trail from Ruby to Tanana.  I'm fairly confident that the locals in Tanana are putting together their plans for how they can help get fuel to these guys on the trail.  

This 120 mile stretch is the only place on the trail where the racers can recieve outside help from someone not in this race.

16938565_10211029694891036_2880607509304

Edited by Back Country Rebel
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

So most of the teams are getting rested up for their push to Tanana this afternoon and evening.  Some are laid over in Galena, 60 miles from Ruby. and some are already in Ruby. Ruby to Tanana is the longest stretch on the trail with no checkpoint for 120 miles. This is complicated further by fresh snow between the two stops.

Racers are allowed to get fuel from their pilots, who either land or air drop. If flying weather isn't good today, then the racers will have to find someone from Tanana to haul some fuel back to them. Without extra fuel there is little chance the leaders will be able to make it the entire 120 miles on their 15 gallons of fuel.  

Report is that Ruby to Tanana trail is not broken now, but Arnold Marks Jr. will be leaving in about 45 minutes from Tanana, headed toward Galena.

Team 8, Aklestad/Johnson have a 24 minute lead over Davis/Simons.  Team 8 will be leading and breaking trail from Ruby to Tanana.  I'm fairly confident that the locals in Tanana are putting together their plans for how they can help get fuel to these guys on the trail.  

This 120 mile stretch is the only place on the trail where the racers can recieve outside help from someone not in this race.

16938565_10211029694891036_2880607509304

Sucking fuel in fresh snow like it's free, the 24 minute lead should shrink.

35 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Sucking fuel in fresh snow like it's free, the 24 minute lead should shrink.

18 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

It's gonna be a great finish!

Go Team 41.  I would love to see these two win it all this year.  Cory is such a stand up guy, it's his turn to have a little luck.  The next 24hrs is gonna be some good racing.  

• Like 1

Team 31 has officially scratched in UNK. I will defer to them to relay to the reason. 
Sorry it ended this way, guys.
**Seems like public knowledge now, so I can share that Tim had gnarly a crash and got a concussion. He's ok. Helmet not so much. He was taken care of at the clinic and is in good condition.**

4 hours ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Check out this video of Cory Davis as he refueled in Koyuk yesterday.  Just 50 miles from Koyuk they came upon Team 16 all wadded up on the trail.  Team 41 stopped and helped them get sorted out and made sure they were ok.  

Here is Cory at the next fuel stop.

Someone should post this video on HCS to show what stand up guys Cat riders are. :bc: 

• Like 1

Well, something is up with Team 41.  They went on the clock 30 minutes ago but haven't left Galena yet.  Team 8 is through Ruby and making good time toward Tanana.  Everyone will hold up in Tanana tonight and race to the finish line tomorrow.  

5 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Well, something is up with Team 41.  They went on the clock 30 minutes ago but haven't left Galena yet.  Team 8 is through Ruby and making good time toward Tanana.  Everyone will hold up in Tanana tonight and race to the finish line tomorrow.  

Well that sucks.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
10 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Shows at least one sled going on the GPS tracking.  One of the 41 transponder doesn't seem to be pinging cause its last report was some time ago.  They did lose a bunch of time to the 8 team though.  Only chance is to have the 8 team have troubles at this point.

Edited by BOHICA

3 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Just a guess but it looks like Team 8 has about a 70 minute lead over Team 41.  

I'm guessing that barring problems for the 8 team that lead is insurmountable.

5 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

One of the best threads I've read on a sled web site. The play by play makes me feel like I'm there !:bc:

Tom always does a great job with his annual Iron Dog thread :bc:  I really enjoy the personal tidbits that he adds :thumb:

• Like 2

Hey Back Country Rebel,  this is Kyle's dad, Marty, who has been trying to crank out some summaries the last 3 days.  I have a question....in the last photo I posted of Team #8 fueling up at Kokrines I noticed that both sleds had someone on the bumper holding it down.  Are they tilting the sled to get the most amount of fuel in or burping out air bubbles or something of that sort?

Edited by hunt_ak
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hunt_ak said:

Hey Back Country Rebel,  this is Kyle's dad, Marty who has been trying to crank out some summaries the last 3 days.  I have a question....in the last photo I posted of Team #8 fueling up at Kokrines I noticed that both sleds had someone on the bumper holding it down.  Are they tilting the sled to get the most amount of fuel in or burping our air bubbles or something of that sort?

yes on the doo you need to do that to get a full tank.  burps the bubbles that collect from the tank shape.  can get up to an extra gallon in by doing so.  

• Like 1

I have buds with newer Doo's , we have to burp them if we are going deep in the bush. Pushing up and down on the back bumper works the best. The damn things will go from full to 1/2  20 min into a ride. We feel the fill neck is way to small?:dunno: