Check your account email address ×

The 2017 Iron Dog Thread

3 minutes ago, hunt_ak said:

This boils down to the assistance giving an advantage.

Did the assistance given garner an advantage for the team?  Was this a repeated offense?  Were other teams that were given assistance rewarded with any advantage from the assistance?  These are the questions people need to be discussing....in a calm and rational sense, but we know that isn't going to happen.

Was there an advantage from the assistance?

The spot where they refueled was basically half way between Ruby and Tanana, about 60 miles from Tanana.  At race speed the 600 etecs get the same fuel economy as any other sled in the race, about 6MPG.  Can you get 10 gallons in the main tank of a modern doo without pushing down on the bumper?  How about while using a fueling jug?  TNT knew Davis/Simons needed repairs before they could leave Galena.  They didn't know how far back team 41 actually was but they new their lead was more than 24 minutes.

17 minutes ago, hunt_ak said:

This boils down to the assistance giving an advantage.

Did the assistance given garner an advantage for the team?  Was this a repeated offense?  Were other teams that were given assistance rewarded with any advantage from the assistance?  These are the questions people need to be discussing....in a calm and rational sense, but we know that isn't going to happen.

Was there an advantage from the assistance?

IMO, of course there was.  If each racer is fueling at the same time and another "volunteer" is burping as they go, it avoids one racer helping the other during fill ups and saves time.  If the argument is "our sleds need burping as they fill up" well, race another brand or come up with a plan to fix that. :dunno:

• Gold Member

0 the clock out on each team that had touching of riders or sleds through photo/vid proof.  Take the teams that make it to Tanana in the the allowed time with no evidence of assistance and let them leave a minute earlier then the assisted team.  First team to Fairbanks wins.  Make it a dash for Cash.

Next year modify the check point fuel ups with some portable chain link fence to keep the natives out of the fuel points.  Then have an oil compound that is also chained linked up to keep the natives away.

5 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

0 the clock out on each team that had touching of riders or sleds through photo/vid proof.  Take the teams that make it to Tanana in the the allowed time with no evidence of assistance and let them leave a minute earlier then the assisted team.  First team to Fairbanks wins.  Make it a dash for Cash.

Next year modify the check point fuel ups with some portable chain link fence to keep the natives out of the fuel points.  Then have an oil compound that is also chained linked up to keep the natives away.

How about a "cheater bracket". :lol:

2 hours ago, hunt_ak said:

My opinion is that it sucks, no matter how you slice it.  Tyson is quoted as saying when they saw the people pushing on the bumpers, they told them to stop.  Also, I'm not sure if there were any other racers making a stink over this either.  

Iron Dog HQ made this decision based upon more facts, discussions, and debates on details that we aren't privy to, so I would ultimately defer to their judgement.  That's all anyone can do at this point, but tempers are flaring, there is seemingly blatant targeting, etc. etc., and its clouding everyone's judgement at the moment.

Very well said.

12 minutes ago, snopro31 said:

wonder if team 41 is gonna let 8 ride through the finish line first

No fucking way.  But, IMO, maybe riding in together with team 8 just behind would be a nice gesture.  Team 8 got Dq'd being stupid about the rules, it doesn't take away from their riding and sled skills.  Just some bad judgment.  Those boys are doing all they can not to cry under their helmets right now.  Jeeez....I can't imagine.

8 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

No fucking way.  But, IMO, maybe riding in together with team 8 just behind would be a nice gesture.  Team 8 got Dq'd being stupid about the rules, it doesn't take away from their riding and sled skills.  Just some bad judgment.  Those boys are doing all they can not to cry under their helmets right now.  Jeeez....I can't imagine.

Just imagine a protest at the finish line and all the racers stop right before it. 

Team 8 won.  If they get DQ then so does 41 for the pictures that are all over social media.  

2 minutes ago, snopro31 said:

Just imagine a protest at the finish line and all the racers stop right before it. 

Team 8 won.  If they get DQ then so does 41 for the pictures that are all over social media.  

I think there is much more to this story.  It cannot be a blatant "DQ"  by the officials.  They were probably warned several times about something or this was a major "cheat" they were caught at.  The facts of it all will come out.  I know the decision to DQ them was not a light one at all.

37 minutes ago, snopro31 said:

The pics of team 41, and other teams were from official checkpoints where it is allowed.

37 minutes ago, ckf said:

The pics of team 41, and other teams were from official checkpoints where it is allowed.

Are you sure about that? I thought that through the race no outside help was allowed Just because rule 13. whatever specifically applies to Ruby-tannna. 

Just now, gtserider said:

Are you sure about that? I thought that through the race no outside help was allowed Just because rule 13. whatever specifically applies to Ruby-tannna. 

That's the way I understand it from what I read on FaceBook :dunno:

1 hour ago, snopro31 said:

How do you know it was not a light one?

From what reports say team 8 told them not to touch the sleds.......ever talk with Frankie online?  That chug don't listen to anyone.

First thing I thought of-----Thats Frankie out there. Looks like him too.

2 minutes ago, ckf said:

Something is funny,Where are all the pics of the other teams fueling on the river. Only one. Taken with a good camera. I'm not denying some rules were bent,But there is way more to this story. I honestly hope it comes out and maybe Tom can help with that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gtserider said:

Something is funny,Where are all the pics of the other teams fueling on the river. Only one. Taken with a good camera. I'm not denying some rules were bent,But there is way more to this story. I honestly hope it comes out and maybe Tom can help with that.

There are a lot of pissed off Iron Dog fans in Alaska right now.

28 minutes ago, ckf said:

That is how I understood it also when I went back and re read the whole thing.  It was discussed in detail at the riders meeting before the race was even started so everyone would be clear about it .     Even with that , I still think that these guy's getting bounced is too much , take the 24 min lead away and make them race it out to the end IMO .   :bc:

1 hour ago, snopro31 said:

How do you figure that ?   The race was FAR from over before this am , ANYTHING can and many times does with that many miles to go .   :bc:

33 minutes ago, gtserider said:

First thing I thought of-----Thats Frankie out there. Looks like him too.

Frankie actually took a bunch of pics that were posted on the Iron Dog FB page a few day's ago lol  :bc: