Check your account email address ×

Bannon

4 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

His own words

he's an interesting guy. i spent last night and some time this morning reading his stuff. it's perfectly clear what he's doing and how he intends on changing government and the country. it's frighteningly genius. and i think he'll do it. there's a long end game here and we're in the very beginning stages. 

When I read about the incredibly active first week of the Trump administration, I struggle with two competing narratives about what’s reallygoing on. The first story is simple: the administration is just doing what it said it would do, literally keeping its campaign promises. Lots of people won’t agree, but it’s playing to its base. They’re also not really good at this whole government thing yet, so implementation is shaky. The second is more sinister: the administration is deliberately testing the limits of governmental checks and balances to set up a self-serving, dangerous consolidation of power.

A legitimate argument can be made for the former: a relatively extreme and inexperienced administration was just put in place, and they haven’t yet figured out the nuances of government. But a few of the events in the past 72 hours —the intentional inclusion of green card holders in the immigration order, the DHS defiance of a federal judge, and the timing of Trump’s shakeup of the National Security Council — have pointed to a larger story. Even worse, if that larger story is true, if the source of this week’s actions is a play to consolidate power, it’s going really well so far. And that’s because mostly everyone — including those in protests shutting down airports over the weekend— are playing right into the administration’s hand.

I obviously can’t pretend to know the intentions of the new President, but let’s pretend the power consolidation move is what’s actually happening. In fact, let’s pretend we’re the Trump administration (not necessarily Trump himself, more likely his inner circle) for a second. Here’s our playbook:

1. We launch a series of Executive Orders in the first week. Beforehand, we identify one that our opponents will complain loudly about and will dominate the news cycle. Immigration ban. Perfect.
  2. We craft the ban to be about 20% more extreme than we actually want it to be — say, let’s make the explicit decision to block green card holders from defined countries from entering the US, rather than just visa holders. We create some confusion so that we can walk back from that part later, but let’s make sure that it’s enforced to begin with.
  3. We watch our opposition pour out into the streets protesting the extremes of our public measure, exactly as we intended. The protests dominate the news, but our base doesn’t watch CNN anyway. The ACLU will file motions to oppose the most extreme parts of our measure, that’s actually going to be useful too. We don’t actually care if we win, that’s why we made it more extreme than it needed to be. But in doing so, the lawsuit process will test the loyalty of those enforcing what we say.
  4. While the nation’s attention is on our extreme EO, slip a few more nuanced moves through. For example, reconfigure the National Security Council so that it’s led by our inner circle. Or gut the State Department’sability to resist more extreme moves. That will have massive benefits down the road — the NSC are the folks that authorize secret assassinations against enemies of the state, including American citizens. Almost nobody has time to analyze that move closely, and those that do can’t get coverage.
  5. When the lawsuits filed by the ACLU inevitably succeed, stay silent. Don’t tell the DHS to abide by the what the federal judge says, see what they do on their own. If they capitulate to the courts, we know our power with the DHS is limited and we need to staff it with more loyal people. But if they continue enforcing our EO until we tell them not to, we know that we can completely ignore the judicial branch later on and the DHS will have our back.
  6. Once the DHS has made their move, walk back from the 20% we didn’t want in the first place. Let the green card holders in, and pretend that’s what we meant all along. The protestors and the ACLU, both clamoring to display their efficacy, jump on the moment to declare a huge victory. The crowds dissipate, they have to go back to work.
  7. When the dust settles, we have 100% of the Executive Order we originally wanted, we’ve tested the loyalty of a department we’ll need later on, we’ve proven we can ignore an entire branch of government, and we’ve slipped in some subtle moves that will make the next test even easier.

We’ve just tested the country’s willingness to capitulate to a fascist regime.

This seems plausible. With governments you are usually left wondering if they are corrupt or incompetent.

15 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

the bold

i'll admit that the obama administration created riffs among the public. but the intent was not to fracture the elected and the electorate. the differences that grew out of the obama years was more symptomatic of the administration's liberal stance. with trump and bannon theres a deliberate attempt to create deep emotional wounds between ideologies of mainly the the elected. unfortunately bannon understands that to do this he needs a strategy that will carve deep emotional wounds and differences among the electorate as well. watch for more of the shock effect politics you saw with the immigration fiasco. bannon understands that to "bring down the house"....he's going to "turn up the hate". 

very cool time in history. 

Edited by spin_dry

5 hours ago, spin_dry said:

i'll admit that the obama administration created riffs among the public. but the intent was not to fracture the elected and the electorate. the differences that grew out of the obama years was more symptomatic of the administration's liberal stance. with trump and bannon theres a deliberate attempt to create deep emotional wounds between ideologies of mainly the the elected. unfortunately bannon understands that to do this he needs a strategy that will carve deep emotional wounds and differences among the electorate as well. watch for more of the shock effect politics you saw with the immigration fiasco. bannon understands that to "bring down the house"....he's going to "turn up the hate". 

very cool time in history. 

One of your better posts.  I'm not sure these are the responses you were looking for though.

Fact is, most American feel like your side deserves it, and we're all gonna let it fly and "punish" your side for a bit.  

However, at a certain point our side needs to know when enough is enough.  I hope Trump knows, or has people that know when that is.  Pull us back toward the middle....but I think most of us are gonna start watching carefully if we start moving further right than that.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

One of your better posts.  I'm not sure these are the responses you were looking for though.

Fact is, most American feel like your side deserves it, and we're all gonna let it fly and "punish" your side for a bit.  

However, at a certain point our side needs to know when enough is enough.  I hope Trump knows, or has people that know when that is.  Pull us back toward the middle....but I think most of us are gonna start watching carefully if we start moving further right than that.

when you say "most" americans, that just doesn't jive with the popular vote. so, trump has far from an iron clad mandate in the minds of "most" americans. with that said, i don't think the trump/bannon team are some type of apocalyptic figures. but i don't see much in the way of empathy towards fellow humans from either of them. both are narcissists of a malignant nature. i'd say bannon is the more sadistic and methodical of the two. will they start shooting liberals? i know a lot of americans that would love to see it. 

Edited by spin_dry

13 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

when you say "most" americans, that just doesn't jive with the popular vote. so, trump has far from an iron clad mandate in the minds of "most" americans. with that said, i don't think the trump/bannon team are some type of apocalyptic figures. but i don't see much in the way of empathy towards fellow humans from either of them. both are narcissists of a malignant nature. i'd say bannon is the more sadistic and methodical of the two. will they start shooting liberals? i know a lot of americans that would love to see it. 

In case you ain't figured it out yet, trump won the election.  So it does "jive"

27 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

when you say "most" americans, that just doesn't jive with the popular vote California. so, trump has far from an iron clad mandate in the minds of "most" americans. with that said, i don't think the trump/bannon team are some type of apocalyptic figures. but i don't see much in the way of empathy towards fellow humans from either of them. both are narcissists of a malignant nature. i'd say bannon is the more sadistic and methodical of the two. will they start shooting liberals? i know a lot of americans that would love to see it. 

You're welcome.

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Well, it may come to that and if it does, I'm gonna kill a lot of you.  But honestly, truly and sincerely, I hope it doesn't come to that.  If your side would just practice a little bit of what you preach (tolerance) and get your media to straighten the fuck up, well....we'd all be able to move toward the middle together and enjoy some nice cozy chairs in the sun while we sip champagne coolies.  And if just 70% of Americans could come together, we'd be unstoppable (and could figure out how to get the fuck out from under Saudi Arabias thumb...but that's another thread).

But if you fucking twits can't see how you are dividing and weakening this nation well, "The tree of liberty......."

Case: while the recent 90 day flight restriction may not have been perfectly implemented (but could it have ever been?), before some thought and questions could be exercised, you nut jobs hit the streets fueled by a media that should be strangled til death.  Here's what you boys missed in all of it:  Trumps administration is actually seeking a new policy that weeds out foreign bigotry and hate along with anyone who has or would and would descriminate others of any race, gender, or sexual orientation.   Now, does that sound pretty fucking good to all of us?  I'd hope so.  Did you guys see that at all on TV?  Nope.  Your information sources are HORRID. 

So, do what you want, but remember, when I say the "majority", rest assured, it is true.  And while most remain silent, I think most are ready to get violent (poem start for later).  

So....quit fucking around and the first champagne coolies are on me.  Otherwise, I may be toasting Gentleman Jack with the crows eating the eyes out of your dead fucking corpses.  And should we ever be so lucky and intelligent enough to decide to work toward a goal of a truly UNITED States, rest assured, me and people like me will punish with extreme prejudice anyone on either side who causes disruption in the process. 

Thats about as good of an olive branch as you'll ever see me holding out. Trust me.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Well, it may come to that and if it does, I'm gonna kill a lot of you.  But honestly, truly and sincerely, I hope it doesn't come to that.  If your side would just practice a little bit of what you preach (tolerance) and get your media to straighten the fuck up, well....we'd all be able to move toward the middle together and enjoy some nice cozy chairs in the sun while we sip champagne coolies.  And if just 70% of Americans could come together, we'd be unstoppable (and could figure out how to get the fuck out from under Saudi Arabias thumb...but that's another thread).

But if you fucking twits can't see how you are dividing and weakening this nation well, "The tree of liberty......."

Case: while the recent 90 day flight restriction may not have been perfectly implemented (but could it have ever been?), before some thought and questions could be exercised, you nut jobs hit the streets fueled by a media that should be strangled til death.  Here's what you boys missed in all of it:  Trumps administration is actually seeking a new policy that weeds out foreign bigotry and hate along with anyone who has or would and would descriminate others of any race, gender, or sexual orientation.   Now, does that sound pretty fucking good to all of us?  I'd hope so.  Did you guys see that at all on TV?  Nope.  Your information sources are HORRID. 

So, do what you want, but remember, when I say the "majority", rest assured, it is true.  And while most remain silent, I think most are ready to get violent (poem start for later).  

So....quit fucking around and the first champagne coolies are on me.  Otherwise, I may be toasting Gentleman Jack with the crows eating the eyes out of your dead fucking corpses.  And should we ever be so lucky and intelligent enough to decide to work toward a goal of a truly UNITED States, rest assured, me and people like me will punish with extreme prejudice anyone on either side who causes disruption in the process. 

Thats about as good of an olive branch as you'll ever see me holding out. Trust me.  

What a nice, bridging comment...  

But it's the "liberals" fault for dividing the nation.  :LMAO:. This is an Olive Branch!

You are just another viooent, piece of white trash pond scum.

3 minutes ago, Catman said:

What a nice, bridging comment...  

But it's the "liberals" fault for dividing the nation.  :LMAO:. This is an Olive Branch!

You are just another viooent, piece of white trash pond scum.

No.  I'd say he nailed it.  The left has overplayed their hand big time for the last 8 years in this country and has lost their collective minds since Trump won.   The left and the corrupt press need to shut.  the.  fuck.  up.  They lost the argument.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

:lol: explain your logic with the bold