Check your account email address ×

wrenchin sleds !!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111 not beginner lessons!!11

f7ben

28 minutes ago, GreenStreak said:

you are blind or an idiot. The mag piston has most of the wash burned off it. There is only black on the front edge.

Looks wiped off to me 

3 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Looks wiped off to me 

GS thinks "wash" is the carbon stuff and "too lean" means it burned it clean :lol: 

Edited by f7ben
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, f7ben said:

GS thinks "wash" is the carbon stuff and "too lean" means it burned it clean :lol: 

But he did know what squish meant...and was all over me cause id never heard the term....looks like ole gs doesnt know fak all... :lol:

1 minute ago, DISABLED DAVE said:

But he did know what squish meant...and was all over me cause id never heard the term....looks like ole gs doesnt know fak all... :lol:

Squish is pretty important also if you are building a motor. Not so much otherwise.

Just now, f7ben said:

Squish is pretty important also if you are building a motor. Not so much otherwise.

I had never heard the term before that...this was back in 2011 or so...

Just now, DISABLED DAVE said:

I had never heard the term before that...this was back in 2011 or so...

Whoa...that's wayback.....how do you remember that shit lolz

• Platinum Contributing Member

So what was the failure again on this motor? :dunno: 

Mag does not look lean unless it was pulling in coolant washing the piston. You'd probably smell it and it would idle / run like a turd. Are there any pictures of the plugs and which holes they came out of? Picture of PTO piston dome? Leak down test? Compression test?

7 minutes ago, GreenStreak said:

The mag piston has almost no carbon color on it. 

We see that and I’m an idiot and even I understand what Ben is saying...fuck you’re a mechanic. :lol:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GreenStreak said:

The mag piston has almost no carbon color on it. 

Which usually means it was jetted way fat, was pulling in coolant washing the dome or was cold and not firing like it should resulting in it being washed (running on 2 cylinders, bad coil , wire etc). If it's caked on carbon it means it's being baked on there from running lean (hot). Your center cylinder looks good with finger nail size wash spots at the tranfers. Is this is a pump gas motor?

What made you pull the motor down? You said you knew it was going lean. Was this because you knew it had a torn boot or you felt / heard it run differently?

Edited by Skidooski

1 hour ago, Skidooski said:

Which usually means it was jetted way fat, was pulling in coolant washing the dome or was cold and not firing like it should resulting in it being washed (running on 2 cylinders, bad coil , wire etc). If it's caked on carbon it means it's being baked on there from running lean (hot). Your center cylinder looks good with finger nail size wash spots at the tranfers. Is this is a pump gas motor?

What made you pull the motor down? You said you knew it was going lean. Was this because you knew it had a torn boot or you felt / heard it run differently?

The mag plug was pure white. Carbs are spotless. While waiting on new boots from ebay, I rode it with a bad carb boot.

Did GS run it after it burnt down?

I had my PWC squeak a piston.  I left the plug wire off, cranked open the carb and ran it on two to get back home.  By the time I got it back to our dock, the piston top was washed pretty clean.  

2 hours ago, GreenStreak said:

The mag plug was pure white. Carbs are spotless. While waiting on new boots from ebay, I rode it with a bad carb boot.

:lol: no it wasnt

2 minutes ago, GreenStreak said:

Ok.

Seriously GS.....post some detailed pics of everything. That piston is very rich as in it wasnt firing at all or it was getting way too much fuel. That piston does not look at all like a torn carb boot had anything to do with it. 

You  have seriously misunderstood whats going on there and we cant help without better pics. Your center piston looks exactly like you want them to look. Show us the PTO side and get some better pics of everything

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Seriously GS.....post some detailed pics of everything. That piston is very rich as in it wasnt firing at all or it was getting way too much fuel. That piston does not look at all like a torn carb boot had anything to do with it. 

You  have seriously misunderstood whats going on there and we cant help without better pics. Your center piston looks exactly like you want them to look. Show us the PTO side and get some better pics of everything

Ok, if the mag side is rich what could cause it?

1 minute ago, GreenStreak said:

Ok, if the mag side is rich what could cause it?

Dont start with if......it was certainly either rich or as Skidooski said eating a load of coolant. Were the head o-rings good? Need some pics of the pistons....what jets were in the carbs , maybe the choke was stuck on that carb etc etc. How did it go down or did it even go down. Was it just running on two and you though it was burned down? 

What do the reeds look like.....maybe that cyl has a bad coil 

The last 2 tcats I had exhibited a really weird problem with the mag cylinders......they wouldnt fire at idle and just that cyl would flood easy. I had to dial the idle air screw in a little on that cyl and then it ran perfect.

Did you check compression etc etc etc.....missing a lot of info here. 

I'm kind of a noob to carb tuning and triples but there are some guys here that can really help if you post all details and pics you can. 

Its fucking expensive to have issues with these engines and rebuilding them aint cheap either.....you need to get this nailed down 

What do your cylinders look like right now?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, f7ben said:

Dont start with if......it was certainly either rich or as Skidooski said eating a load of coolant. Were the head o-rings good? Need some pics of the pistons....what jets were in the carbs , maybe the choke was stuck on that carb etc etc. How did it go down or did it even go down. Was it just running on two and you though it was burned down? 

What do the reeds look like.....maybe that cyl has a bad coil 

The last 2 tcats I had exhibited a really weird problem with the mag cylinders......they wouldnt fire at idle and just that cyl would flood easy. I had to dial the idle air screw in a little on that cyl and then it ran perfect.

Did you check compression etc etc etc.....missing a lot of info here. 

I'm kind of a noob to carb tuning and triples but there are some guys here that can really help if you post all details and pics you can. 

Its fucking expensive to have issues with these engines and rebuilding them aint cheap either.....you need to get this nailed down 

What do your cylinders look like right now?

340 mains. Other than age the o-rings looked ok. 120 psi on all 3. It did leak anti-freeze from the front exchanger since I bought it- probably why i got it cheap. It only dripped a bit till the track broke and destroyed it. It always ran on 3 since I have owned it. Last ride I had one hour after starting it started running like shit, bogging down and losing a lot of power. I figured it was the cracked boot, and I burned down the cylinder. Piston pics in a minute.

Doesn't matter either way it's getting three new pistons and I'm going to hone the jugs. new gaskets and O-rings, a new thermostat and rebuilding the fuel pump. Also ordered boyesen reeds and a set of flatslide carbs from a 2000 Pantera

maybe you guys are right maybe it was coolant getting in there and washed that piston off. But, here is a picture of the mag side spark plug unless the coolant  washed it off too 20180327_223408.thumb.jpg.d3f3fccc4d61f3c32c0002c457950c2c.jpgit looks pretty effing lean to me....

Edited by GreenStreak

17 minutes ago, GreenStreak said:

maybe you guys are right maybe it was coolant getting in there and washed that piston off. But, here is a picture of the mag side spark plug unless the coolant  washed it off too 20180327_223408.thumb.jpg.d3f3fccc4d61f3c32c0002c457950c2c.jpgit looks pretty effing lean to me....

That looks good to me....lean would be white well back up the electrode....not just at the tip