Check your account email address ×

wrenchin sleds !!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111 not beginner lessons!!11

f7ben

Got the muffler back from the fab shop.....they did a great job. Some really nice guys there running a pretty big full service welding and fabricating joint. Muffler sounds so good. I cant believe how quiet it is at idle compared to the straight pipe. Its just a small straight through muffler but its far exceeded my expectations. Man look how cobbled that shit is :lol: 

20180503_123841.jpg

• Like 2

Got some more work done on the sled. There is small LED installed on the lower left side of the gauge pod. That is the Meth system status LED. I tested that light with 12v and it is fucking blinding bright red. If the AEM controller outputs a full 12v to that light I will need to tint it or install something to reduce voltage. 

Also you can see the waterproof toggle switch installed on the lower right side of gauge pod. This is wired to the Jacker box and turns the rapid response on or off. It is also a lighted switch but the RR circuit of the Jacker is 5v so its about the perfect level of brightness.

20180504_165843.jpg

Just tested the output from the AEM controller.....my cheap multimeter is only picking up about 3.5 volts pulse to the status LED.....I would bet its 5v which is the perfect level of brightness out of that LED......I am happy 

Edited by f7ben

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Sweet, does it have a current limiting resistor?  LED may not last long if not.

Neal

They are extremely cheap .....I cant find any info on the voltage range at all. If I burn one up I'll work on another solution 

Are we thinking about this correctly Neal???? I think that the current will decrease with voltage on this LED so it will be at no risk with decreasing voltage. 

Edited by f7ben

15 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Are we thinking about this correctly Neal???? I think that the current will decrease with voltage on this LED so it will be at no risk with decreasing voltage. 

Yes, well I am, if you are overshooting the forward voltage of the LED, even by a little the resistance drops to a very small amount, and with V = IR, as resistance drops current goes up.  If you are seeing 5V across the LED chances are resistance is tiny.  Put a 100 ohm resistor inline, that should get you close to 30mA at 5V supply voltage.

Neal

Edited by NaturallyAspirated

2 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Yes, well I am, if you are overshooting the forward voltage of the LED, even by a little the resistance drops to a very small amount, and with V = IR, as resistance drops current goes up.  If you are seeing 5V across the resistor chances are resistance is tiny.  Put a 100 ohm resistor inline, that should get you close to 30mA at 5V supply voltage.

Neal

Yah...I'd say you have a handle on this past my understanding. I understand ohms law just fine :lol: my issue with adding any resistor to this circuit is I dont know what the rated load is for the status light output circuit of the controller. I would bet its a very small amount of current although it doesnt specify anywhere that I can find aside from saying an optional LED can be used

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yah...I'd say you have a handle on this past my understanding. I understand ohms law just fine :lol: my issue with adding any resistor to this circuit is I dont know what the rated load is for the status light output circuit of the controller. I would bet its a very small amount of current although it doesnt specify anywhere that I can find aside from saying an optional LED can be used

The LED will eat up all the current the supply can produce, if it has near zero resistance it will likely have a current well beyond the rating.  General rule of thumb for LEDs is 3VDC forward and 30mA max current.  

:bc:

Neal

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

The LED will eat up all the current the supply can produce, if it has near zero resistance it will likely have a current well beyond the rating.  General rule of thumb for LEDs is 3VDC forward and 30mA max current.  

:bc:

Neal

fuck.....now I'm going to have to bring home a mA clamp and play around with this 

3 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Hey, if you jack up the voltage and the LED is so bright it blinds you and you hit a culvert and wad up the sled I'm not to blame!  :lol:

Neal

So if the LED gets dimmer as voltage decreases isnt it using less current?

Just now, Sal Rosenberg said:

WTF is he going on about ? :bc:

Neal is a sharp guy and a bit of an electronics nerd.....its embarrassing for me as an electrician and someone who went to school for automation to get schooled by him :lol: I tested into semiconductors 3 at the last college I went to but that been about two decades ago 

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Neal is a sharp guy and a bit of an electronics nerd.....its embarrassing for me as an electrician and someone who went to school for automation to get schooled by him :lol: I tested into semiconductors 3 at the last college I went to but that been about two decades ago 

I'm going to be adding some lights to my sled over the summer so I may need a translator when I start asking questions .  :bc:

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

So if the LED gets dimmer as voltage decreases isnt it using less current?

Yes, but a LED isn't a linear resistance device like a resistor.  It has a very sharp knee after it's forward voltage is met.  Before it's forward voltage is met (disregarding breakdown voltage), current flow is very low because at low voltage the resistance is very high ("non-conductive"), thus low current and low light output.

Neal

18 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Yes, but a LED isn't a linear resistance device like a resistor.  It has a very sharp knee after it's forward voltage is met.  Before it's forward voltage is met (disregarding breakdown voltage), current flow is very low because at low voltage the resistance is very high ("non-conductive"), thus low current and low light output.

Neal

So if the light is dim I'm all good as far as destructive current ?????

6 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Most likely, but if you have a voltage over the forward voltage of the LED and the supply provides more current than the LED is rated for it can burn out.

Neal

My boss bought a custom LED for one of our cranes. It was a spot beam meant to shine on the ground from about 100' above and been seen by ground traffic. It was a DC light and he wanted to test it. I told him I'd grab a rectifier and take it up to the bench and wire it up for him. He told me it was 120v DC compatible as that is what our control circuit on the crane was.

Well I took it upstairs and wired it up to my rectifier and when I plugged that fucker in it sounded like 1000 little firecrackers going off :lol: I immediately looked at the fixture more closely and noticed the tag that said 24-90v dc  ......we ended up getting it replaced because the invoice said 120-240v dc and they sent the wrong one. That fucker was really bright and loud for a split second 

12 minutes ago, f7ben said:

My boss bought a custom LED for one of our cranes. It was a spot beam meant to shine on the ground from about 100' above and been seen by ground traffic. It was a DC light and he wanted to test it. I told him I'd grab a rectifier and take it up to the bench and wire it up for him. He told me it was 120v DC compatible as that is what our control circuit on the crane was.

Well I took it upstairs and wired it up to my rectifier and when I plugged that fucker in it sounded like 1000 little firecrackers going off :lol: I immediately looked at the fixture more closely and noticed the tag that said 24-90v dc  ......we ended up getting it replaced because the invoice said 120-240v dc and they sent the wrong one. That fucker was really bright and loud for a split second 

Doh!

I remember when 10w LEDs came out.  I worked with a circuit board engineer and he got his hand on one.  We over voltaged and currented that bastard bad... It came with it's own built in heat sink, and that thing was smoking hot!

Neal

9 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Doh!

I remember when 10w LEDs came out.  I worked with a circuit board engineer and he got his hand on one.  We over voltaged and currented that bastard bad... It came with it's own built in heat sink, and that thing was smoking hot!

Neal

Thats a power led right? Makes some heat and light

This DD has 4300 miles on it and it has never been opened up. Still had the factory gasket. I would assume the fluid has been changed a few times.

You should always remove and disassemble a DD when changing fluid. The fluid that came out of this one looked like it had a handful of silver pulverized glitter mixed in. Just a few pieces of case casting burrs or a chunk of thread from the fill plug or whatever getting turned into paste in the fluid over time. Not ideal for the bearings.

The bearings in this one however are still in great shape so its flush it several times.....blow it all out really well and then reassemble. Also Cat can stick their DD fluid right up their faggot ass. My cases will get a good synthetic gear lube and that will be perfect. 

Edited by f7ben
  • Like 2