Check your account email address ×

136 vs 146

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Well then you shouldn’t be concerned with traction at all because you aren’t getting any 

His Cat apparently doesn't have the power to spin a 144, it obviously doesn't need much in the traction department :lol: 

• Haha 1

I have a 137 zr 8000 rr and the guy i ride with has a 144 assault 800. The zr handles better in the tight rough trails but the assault is an all around better sled i think. I'm probly switching to polaris after 30+ yrs on cats and trying to decide between a 136 xcr or assault 

Personally I'd much rather have a 136" for trail. 

Isn't the Assault 146 uncoupled? I dont want that for a trail sled. I think the 144 is coupled, though? I dont keep track anymore.

But I also agree with the wider pitch being a little better, though I dont think its a huge deal, I'd rather have a coupled skid. 

A bud has a 146 SKS and says its real good on trails. Of course I haven't met to many people that said the $12k sled they bought rides like shit.....

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Narrowing down my choice for a trail machine for next season. 

XCR 136

Assault 146

What do you guys figure are the pros and cons of two track lengths for trail riding?  I've heard the longer tracks are pretty good on the trail but I'd like to hear from those of you who actually have them.

I have a 137" my riding buddy has a 144"..we switch sleds a lot..He let me ride his for a day a couple weeks ago so my son could ride mine and we could get out for a rip.. I had been sold on a 144, the assault was going to be my next sled..It was ok, nothing great after spending a day on it. Pushed a lot in the corners and was not fun in the tight twisties. Needless to say I traded in my 2016 137" and bought a new 137" last week..

5 hours ago, Legend said:

Personally I'd much rather have a 136" for trail. 

Isn't the Assault 146 uncoupled? I dont want that for a trail sled. I think the 144 is coupled, though? I dont keep track anymore.

But I also agree with the wider pitch being a little better, though I dont think its a huge deal, I'd rather have a coupled skid. 

A bud has a 146 SKS and says its real good on trails. Of course I haven't met to many people that said the $12k sled they bought rides like shit.....

Both  the 144 and 146 Assaults are uncoupled and for 2022 you can choose between the XC Switchback which has Fox QS3 Shocks and  the SB Assault which has WE Velocities...again both are uncoupled. Also the AXYS 144 is gone. I have been kicking around the idea of an XCR as well but my 144 is basically new and it’s pretty damn good everywhere...on and off trail.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Both  the 144 and 146 Assaults are uncoupled and for 2022 you can choose between the XC Switchback which has Fox QS3 Shocks and  the SB Assault which has WE Velocities...again both are uncoupled. Also the AXYS 144 is gone. I have been kicking around the idea of an XCR as well but my 144 is basically new and it’s pretty damn good everywhere...on and off trail.

I thought the 146 was coupled 

Completely depends on your riding style and how much off trail.   If I was even 1/3 off trail I'd go the Assault.   The 136 will ride a little better being coupled but the 146 would still be a great all around skid.  

8 hours ago, f7ben said:

Well then you shouldn’t be concerned with traction at all because you aren’t getting any 

Studs hook worse than a proper track here 

3 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

I have a 137" my riding buddy has a 144"..we switch sleds a lot..He let me ride his for a day a couple weeks ago so my son could ride mine and we could get out for a rip.. I had been sold on a 144, the assault was going to be my next sled..It was ok, nothing great after spending a day on it. Pushed a lot in the corners and was not fun in the tight twisties. Needless to say I traded in my 2016 137" and bought a new 137" last week..

Yup. After what I seen there’s no way I’d take an assault 144 over a 137 trail sled for just trails.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ACE said:

Yup. After what I seen there’s no way I’d take an assault 144 over a 137 trail sled for just trails.  

I'll go off trail and play in a field or something, but it's not like I'm spending hours off trail. My 137 is fine for 2-3 foot of snow in field to mess around in for 20-30 minutes that I do that..

• Like 1

• Gold Member
4 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

I assume you were riding locally? 

same decision process here but mines lynx or vr1 137 as the 136 track on the XCR to me has no resale value and I want a 1.5 ice storm or ice ripper.  

the little time i spent on woolies assault i thought it was fine on trail but as a group we were all on 137+ with deep tracks. 

9 hours ago, f7ben said:

if you are thinking a 146 you are prob riding where studs are not needed.   i want the ice storm literally for poaching plowed logging roads and getting going on the lake.   otherwise don't need them.  

Just now, Angry ginger said:

if you are thinking a 146 you are prob riding where studs are not needed.   i want the ice storm literally for poaching plowed logging roads and getting going on the lake.   otherwise don't need them.  

Yup

a good lug will out perform a studs here for 90% of the season 

1 minute ago, ACE said:

Yup

a good lug will out perform a studs here for 90% of the season 

i've broken too many studs riding early late season to want them.  i pulled the studs on my 05 for the 07 season and i bought a studded freeride and yanked them before i even rode it.  this is first year i have had real studs since 06 and everytime i run over rocks i cringe.   

• Like 1

Just now, Angry ginger said:

i've broken too many studs riding early late season to want them.  i pulled the studs on my 05 for the 07 season and i bought a studded freeride and yanked them before i even rode it.  this is first year i have had real studs since 06 and everytime i run over rocks i cringe.   

Yeah fuck that shit. They wreck everything