Check your account email address ×

looks like $20K USD is the new normal...

for a top level sled.

I remember our first new snowmobile, Dad picked up a leftover 1980 SkiDoo Citation SS for $900 to the penny... out the door and they even gave me a XS jacket.

times are a changin'... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Too many people still trying to pay cash for shit.  They solved that with increased truck prices....it’ll be solved with toy prices the same way.

Finance or die!!!!!

Just bought a jet ski from St. Boni.  It's nice just stroking a check and walking out with a new toy.  You'd wait longer at the Culver's drive thru in Two Harbors on a hot summer day than it took me to buy my ski or wheeler.  :bc:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Too many people still trying to pay cash for shit.  They solved that with increased truck prices....it’ll be solved with toy prices the same way.

Finance or die!!!!!

I'm not financing a fucking toy.  I do like my sleep at night.

• Like 4

Well, if the rule of thumb (lately) is MSRP is close to what's paid to get the sled out the door my builds would be:

VR1 850 = $16,642 (the 650 is a grand less, exactly)

XC 650 = $14,740 ... I didn't price out the 850 because if I'm going 850 I'm going VR1 or XCR

XCR 850 = $16,942 (the 650 is a grand less, exactly)

SEVENTEEN FREAKING GRAND???!?!  I can't believe how dumb we are, as snowmobilers, to accept these kind of prices :handjob:

• Like 5

I'm not hating anyone buying a 20k sled.  But I personally have WAY better things to do with my money than that.  I think the prices are pretty silly but if people are buying, I guess they're not.

I bought a sled this year for 1,100$ that I've had more fun and enjoyment with than I could with any new sled.  To me that is double winning when I can have more fun for way less investment.  Not everyone can do that, and those people have to spend 20k apparently, I'm not going to kick them when they're already down.  I'm just glad I don't have to do that to have fun.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

Just bought a jet ski from St. Boni.  It's nice just stroking a check and walking out with a new toy.  You'd wait longer at the Culver's drive thru in Two Harbors on a hot summer day than it took me to buy my ski or wheeler.  :bc:

It's because you are a smart mofo and don't plan on working and owing others until you are old and gray.  :bc:

5 hours ago, hayward said:

I'm not financing a fucking toy.  I do like my sleep at night.

Amen to that.  I've heard arguments both ways and can accept some of it with low interest rates but, my old man always said, if you have to finance a toy, you really just can't afford it.  

5 hours ago, mnstang said:

I'm not hating anyone buying a 20k sled.  But I personally have WAY better things to do with my money than that.  I think the prices are pretty silly but if people are buying, I guess they're not.

I bought a sled this year for 1,100$ that I've had more fun and enjoyment with than I could with any new sled.  To me that is double winning when I can have more fun for way less investment.  Not everyone can do that, and those people have to spend 20k apparently, I'm not going to kick them when they're already down.  I'm just glad I don't have to do that to have fun.

I'm with you, to each their own but, going back to what "hayward" posted,...I'm not sure I could enjoy my quickly depreciating toys or vehicles if I knew I had a note on them and all it was doing is stealing from my financial freedom later in life.  I've been pricing new trucks lately...holy sweet fuck.  I cannot stop laughing.  Kids in their twenties are financing $60-80k vehicles?  :lol: 

Debt...it's what now drives America's economy (and has for years).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

for a top level sled.

I remember our first new snowmobile, Dad picked up a leftover 1980 SkiDoo Citation SS for $900 to the penny... out the door and they even gave me a XS jacket.

times are a changin'... 

7 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Finance or die!!!!!

I'm not financing any fucking toys.

Dumb as fuck.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

How I bought my RZR, one check.  It took longer to get the sales rep to stop talking up higher models.  I knew what I was there for with cash.

1 hour ago, awful knawful said:

I'm not financing any fucking toys.

Dumb as fuck.

I have in the past not high dollar though most I've done for a sled was 2K paid in a year.

39 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Imagine paying all year for one most can only use for 2-3 months on a good winter. Holy shit.  

You can only ride them 2-3 months.  You know damn well we enjoy them throughout the year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When someone delievers something more than what I have currently Ill buy another top model... until then my piston eating shitbox can sit in the corner for when I need a dick measuring contest. 

After the last two winters we have had I am considering doing a chassis up build and saying fuck it vs buying something and stripping it down to make it my own if I can get parts... (is that an arctic cat joke or a covid joke ... youll never know) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zambroski said:

It's because you are a smart mofo and don't plan on working and owing others until you are old and gray.  :bc:

Amen to that.  I've heard arguments both ways and can accept some of it with low interest rates but, my old man always said, if you have to finance a toy, you really just can't afford it.  

I'm with you, to each their own but, going back to what "hayward" posted,...I'm not sure I could enjoy my quickly depreciating toys or vehicles if I knew I had a note on them and all it was doing is stealing from my financial freedom later in life.  I've been pricing new trucks lately...holy sweet fuck.  I cannot stop laughing.  Kids in their twenties are financing $60-80k vehicles?  :lol: 

Debt...it's what now drives America's economy (and has for years).

Yep, it really would take away alot or all of the fun of it for me if you're financially stressed from it.  Especially with debt.  I'll never understand making payments on a toy.  I paid off my house it's nice being free and clear.  .. except for the government/mob of course.

Crazy to me to even think about rolling around on a sled you don't even own and are making monthly payments on??? Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense

Prices will always continue to go up and fanatics of the sport will continue to pay those prices that is the reality.  You either ride new with a warranty and keep turning them over at a rapid pace or ride used and keep repairing and fixing.

Sledding is unique in that riding days are thin and seem to keep getting thinner so for me I buy and ride sleds that have not cost me days when the weather is finally cooperating.  Fortunately I have been able to do this without payments but I also ride with friends that don't have a choice in the matter and have to make them.  I don't blame them for making payments because life is just too fucking short and money is nearly free these days with the available 0% interest rates. 

2 hours ago, fortune46x said:

When someone delievers something more than what I have currently Ill buy another top model... until then my piston eating shitbox can sit in the corner for when I need a dick measuring contest. 

After the last two winters we have had I am considering doing a chassis up build and saying fuck it vs buying something and stripping it down to make it my own if I can get parts... (is that an arctic cat joke or a covid joke ... youll never know) 

Let's buy a couple of SX rollers and build them together!  BAM!  

5 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

How I bought my RZR, one check.  It took longer to get the sales rep to stop talking up higher models.  I knew what I was there for with cash.

I have in the past not high dollar though most I've done for a sled was 2K paid in a year.

You can only ride them 2-3 months.  You know damn well we enjoy them throughout the year.

This is factual.  I love my regimen of tear down, cleaning, improving and putting it all back together all summer long.  Still, that has to be a lot more fun when there is no payment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

Buy them complete and Toss the engines  or peddle them to teams lol

IDK but my last one got home, went through a tank, stripped of the wrap...then to another racer for a discount!  Clearly, I did that wrong.  Ughhhh.

I'm thinkin hard about my next project though.  :whistle:

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

IDK but my last one got home, went through a tank, stripped of the wrap...then to another racer for a discount!  Clearly, I did that wrong.  Ughhhh.

I'm thinkin hard about my next project though.  :whistle:

Lol I can get a lot of the parts but I am weighing the option of doing it or saying screw it and stick to my 800 for now. 

1 minute ago, fortune46x said:

Lol I can get a lot of the parts but I am weighing the option of doing it or saying screw it and stick to my 800 for now. 

I should have another racer at my place come summer.  I'm thinking about just grabbing a used 800 off of ebay and doing a full rebuild and just dropping it in.  I'd love to find an old zuke but, I don't want to retro and refab too much shit to make it work.  Getting a custom tank is gonna suck too.  I miss the old seat tanks.

14 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

This is factual.  I love my regimen of tear down, cleaning, improving and putting it all back together all summer long.  Still, that has to be a lot more fun when there is no payment.

I have a little summer project going already, should be done before summer    :lol:

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I should have another racer at my place come summer.  I'm thinking about just grabbing a used 800 off of ebay and doing a full rebuild and just dropping it in.  I'd love to find an old zuke but, I don't want to retro and refab too much shit to make it work.  Getting a custom tank is gonna suck too.  I miss the old seat tanks.

the zuke is too tall , you gotta run the ctech. when the time comes I can see if I cant get a good deal on pipes and what not for it 

Just now, Fireball 440 said:

I have a little summer project going already, should be done before summer    :lol:

i saw!  :bc:

It sounds like the trails are about to be officially toast up there.  I picked a good winter to miss...just by happenstance.

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

i saw!  :bc:

It sounds like the trails are about to be officially toast up there.  I picked a good winter to miss...just by happenstance.

Yeah I need to see how far up D-rail wants to drive but looking at the high 40's forcast I just don't know if there's one more or not.