Check your account email address ×

Thinking about buying cheap 3/4 ton work truck

Rod

All of the 6L the truck fell apart before the engine crapped out. Ours are on the road every day and all of the ones we retired had at least 250k on them. That's work miles not grocery getting miles. Trucks loaded with equipment or material. 

34 minutes ago, Anler said:

The gmc 6.0 is just a work horse. I've had a dozen of them and they just run. 

Yes. 154,000 miles on mine. Just had the original brakes done last week, uses no oil and runs like a top. The 2020 plus have the 6.6. 

Pretty pleased with my 19 RAM 2500.  6.4 with the 8 speed works great, had the MDS but you can defeat it.  Not the torquiest thing I've ever owned but has a lotta snort if you put your leg into it.  Rips along on the highway great, I found myself hitting 90 95 MPH  several times last weekend coming home from Maine.  The suspension is nice and tight, no rattles or squeaks so far in 15k miles.  Has great seats too, nice and firm.

2 hours ago, ACE said:

I thought the 2020+ were all 6.6 now 

they are

I am impressed with my buddies 6.4 Ram 2500.  I think the seats in my ford are a bit more comfortable with a longer bottom cushion but the motor pulls well and gets decent fuel economy.  better towing than my EB slightly less with no load.  

3 hours ago, ACE said:

Do they build the 6.0 anymore?

No. 

3 hours ago, Anler said:

Oh yeah we just bought one in 2020. 

Not a 2020 (T1 platform) model year you didn’t. 

2 hours ago, ACE said:

I thought the 2020+ were all 6.6 now 

They are. 

The 6.6 GM is a stronger running engine than the 6L ever was. The 6 speed is disappointing. Rumor that the 10L1000 from the Duramax trucks is coming to the 6.6 gas trucks for ‘22+. That would make that engine one sweet piece for a gasser. 

I am unfortunately wrecked now with my Duramax. As long as I have sizable trailers to drag around, I’ll have a 3/4 ton diesel truck now. 

Edited by SayatodaU.P.eh?

11 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

No. 

Not a 2020 (T1 platform) model year you didn’t. 

They are. 

The 6.6 GM is a stronger running engine than the 6L ever was. The 6 speed is disappointing. Rumor that the 10L1000 from the Duramax trucks is coming to the 6.6 gas trucks for ‘22+. That would make that engine one sweet piece for a gasser. 

I am unfortunately wrecked now with my Duramax. As long as I have sizable trailers to drag around, I’ll have a 3/4 ton diesel truck now. 

I’ll mostly be commuting, maybe some stuff in the box. Some hauling. If I ever need to pull a load a further distance I still have my Dmax 

13 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Pretty pleased with my 19 RAM 2500.  6.4 with the 8 speed works great, had the MDS but you can defeat it.  Not the torquiest thing I've ever owned but has a lotta snort if you put your leg into it.  Rips along on the highway great, I found myself hitting 90 95 MPH  several times last weekend coming home from Maine.  The suspension is nice and tight, no rattles or squeaks so far in 15k miles.  Has great seats too, nice and firm.

I was never a dodge guy but I have been really happy with the last 2 Rams

50 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Bud just picked up a 2021  quad cab 3500, cummins ho, aisin, $67000.

Smokin deal

That is a smoking deal. the sticker on the limited I bought in October was $68k and that is a half ton

9 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Short of looks of some older models, I just can't seem to really justify owning a 2500.  But I would if I found the right one.  I can see getting all Duramaxed and Alissoned up!

I got away with pulling campers and sled trailers for years with 1/2 tons but it only took pulling the wife’s current camper once to know that I wasn’t going back.