Check your account email address ×

My current event... this is sickening.

So we went for our first ride. 5 miles into the ride, my wife's new to her 2014 Polaris Indy 550 decides to blow a hole in its exhaust pipe the size of a baseball. 7 yr old sled! I have a 28 year old sled here that I groom my private trail with and the pipe is like brand new yet!! None of the sled salvage yards in the United States have this in stock used and it is on National backorder with Polaris until February 15th. Come to find out there's a Polaris dealer in Utah that has four of these pipes in stock. Yay? Not really. $721.93 which includes tax and then whatever it's going to take for them to ship it by UPS. WTF, what is it made of gold? I have to buy it I cannot repair the old one. I'm a good welder and this thing will not be welded  I tried. I can never catch a break!

8 minutes ago, GreenStreak said:

So we went for our first ride. 5 miles into the ride, my wife's new to her 2014 Polaris Indy 550 decides to blow a hole in its exhaust pipe the size of a baseball. 7 yr old sled! I have a 28 year old sled here that I groom my private trail with and the pipe is like brand new yet!! None of the sled salvage yards in the United States have this in stock used and it is on National backorder with Polaris until February 15th. Come to find out there's a Polaris dealer in Utah that has four of these pipes in stock. Yay? Not really. $721.93 which includes tax and then whatever it's going to take for them to ship it by UPS. WTF, what is it made of gold? I have to buy it I cannot repair the old one. I'm a good welder and this thing will not be welded  I tried. I can never catch a break!

Call Aaen Performance, they may have a new aftermarket quiet pipe.

Yup. That sucks for sure. I know the pain, but way too often. :(

I’m in car/truck/boat repair biz and the things I have to ‘eat’  on new parts is ridiculous snd very brutal at times. Had a $900 set of OEM casted incorrectly exhaust manifold /risers that I never got credited for. Was told to wait directly from Merc themselves, several times, for new runs that alleviate the issue, just to have those dates come and pass with no fix. Almost 2 yrs later now.

I have many stories like this. unfortunately. :(

• Platinum Contributing Member
15 minutes ago, GreenStreak said:

Search FB marketplace.   Almost nothing you can't find there.   Also check Al's snowmobile warehouse.   He has tons of salvaged parts.

That model was huge in the rental market so chances are there were wrecked one's that good remaining parts were salvaged.

Remember lots of years 550 likely use the same pipe.   Don't limit your search to just your year and model.  

https://www.alssnowmobile.com/

Edited by Highmark

2 minutes ago, CFM said:

Yup. That sucks for sure. I know the pain, but way too often. :(

I’m in car/truck/boat repair biz and the things I have to ‘eat’  on new parts is ridiculous snd very brutal at times. Had a $900 set of OEM casted incorrectly exhaust manifold /risers that I never got credited for. Was told to wait directly from Merc themselves, several times, for new runs that alleviate the issue, just to have those dates come and pass with no fix. Almost 2 yrs later now.

I have many stories like this. unfortunately. :(

Look sometime at Great Lakes Skipper and Kendor marine. I've been at Kendor 100's of times, knew Ken very well when I lived nearby, they have warehouses full of new Marine parts.

Best of luck John.  I blew up two almost brand new sleds back to back seasons, and last season the snow/covid shut us down early.  This sport sucks at times.  You ought be able to find a used one somewhere, or maybe just weld a piece of metal over the hole  :dunno: 

1 hour ago, GreenStreak said:

Was the pipe defective in some way?  Or was there a fuel mixture issue causing lean pops?  Hate to spend $700 on a new pipe and then blow a hole in that too.  

1 hour ago, GreenStreak said:

I'm calling bullshit, there's no way someone married your sorry ass and wants to be called your wife in public........... :lol::lmao::lol2:

Just kidding John.............. :bc:

• Haha 1

• Gold Member

Good thing for stimulus checks.  It should cover most of the repair.

2012 Arctic cat removed me from the sport.  Once I was done it was nice to explore moving and completing a move to snowless country.  Haven’t moved any snow in 4 years now!

2 hours ago, 1jkw said:

That really sucks, I don't imagine there is an aftermarket performance pipe either.   Did you try ADK salvage or Husdons ?

Nope nothing aftermarket and houdon's sled Salvage had nothing I went there and I searched that place top to bottom