Check your account email address ×

Refrigerator Recommendations

• Platinum Contributing Member

I had trouble with my fridge a couple years ago so I gave the wife permission to go out and buy a fridge for $1500 or less. With the plan for a kitchen reno, I didn't want to have a bunch of money tied up in something that may not work ( wrong finish or size). Well... she blew $4000 at Home Depot on a Samsung unit with wifi and the big LCD screen and all the crap that goes with it including an ice maker. The ice maker has had issues since day one. It freezes up and stops making ice until you thaw it out and start over. 5 Techs have been here trying to fix it. 2 guys replaced the entire unit saying the last guy didn't do it right. It took a shit again a month ago so she contacted Home Depot and on Monday they agreed that was a lemon and offered a credit for the entire $4000.

Now I'm shopping for a new unit from Home Depot. Looking for ones with a good working ice maker and water dispensor. 36" wide, maybe 36" deep. The wife says 36" deep is too much and we will just lose stuff in the back.

So any recommendations on current purchases for brands and size? I like the deli drawer idea. The one we had was a 4 door unit. Seemed to work ok.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I had trouble with my fridge a couple years ago so I gave the wife permission to go out and buy a fridge for $1500 or less. With the plan for a kitchen reno, I didn't want to have a bunch of money tied up in something that may not work ( wrong finish or size). Well... she blew $4000 at Home Depot on a Samsung unit with wifi and the big LCD screen and all the crap that goes with it including an ice maker. The ice maker has had issues since day one. It freezes up and stops making ice until you thaw it out and start over. 5 Techs have been here trying to fix it. 2 guys replaced the entire unit saying the last guy didn't do it right. It took a shit again a month ago so she contacted Home Depot and on Monday they agreed that was a lemon and offered a credit for the entire $4000.

Now I'm shopping for a new unit from Home Depot. Looking for ones with a good working ice maker and water dispensor. 36" wide, maybe 36" deep. The wife says 36" deep is too much and we will just lose stuff in the back.

So any recommendations on current purchases for brands and size? I like the deli drawer idea. The one we had was a 4 door unit. Seemed to work ok.

Refrigerators are getting hard to get right now. Within a brand there could be many models that suck so read the reviews on line.

Do not buy a Frigidaire with an ice maker! I have one of the fuckin POS. Google it if you have to, but they are fuckin garbage. 

BTW my bro went through this shit 6-7 yrs ago. Had a tech from local appliance store come out to fix his $2500 fridge. Said it will cost more than its worth and buy a $1000 big box store fridge every 10 yrs because no matter the price they all only last 10 yrs now. 

Edited by Legend
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

When I need replacements of any appliance I have been purchasing Samsung's including TV's.

I like the Samsung TVs. Also have a Samsung dishwasher that’s been going at least 12 years. Cost a little more but well worth it.

:bc: 

9 hours ago, Legend said:

Do not buy a Frigidaire with an ice maker! I have one of the fuckin POS. Google it if you have to, but they are fuckin garbage. 

BTW my bro went through this shit 6-7 yrs ago. Had a tech from local appliance store come out to fix his $2500 fridge. Said it will cost more than its worth and buy a $1000 big box store fridge every 10 yrs because no matter the price they all only last 10 yrs now. 

Stevie Wonder, who is an appliance tech and use to frequent the Ontario section, said the same thing. It really doesn't matter what brand you buy, expensive or on the cheap, because the are all designed to only last 10 yrs now. 

My fridge at the trailer shit the bed this fall and it was around 10 yrs old. I plugged it in at the start of the weekend and immediately smelled something fishy. I unplugged it thinking maybe a mouse had built a nest behind it/around the compressor but it was clean other than a couple small spider webs. Left it swung out then plugged it back in only to see more smoke and a small fire at the electrical connection where it plugs into the compressor. My wife and I bought that at Sears around 10 yrs ago. It lived a rough life being in a hot shed most of the time but after weekends were over, we unplugged it before going home so it didn't run unnecessarily while we weren't there. 

Edited by irv

4 hours ago, irv said:

Stevie Wonder, who is an appliance tech and use to frequent the Ontario section, said the same thing. It really doesn't matter what brand you buy, expensive or on the cheap, because the are all designed to only last 10 yrs now. 

My fridge at the trailer shit the bed this fall and it was around 10 yrs old. I plugged it in at the start of the weekend and immediately smelled something fishy. I unplugged it thinking maybe a mouse had built a nest behind it/around the compressor but it was clean other than a couple small spider webs. Left it swung out then plugged it back in only to see more smoke and a small fire at the electrical connection where it plugs into the compressor. My wife and I bought that at Sears around 10 yrs ago. It lived a rough life being in a hot shed most of the time but after weekends were over, we unplugged it before going home so it didn't run unnecessarily while we weren't there. 

My Whirlpool Fridge is going on 12 years, no issues at all except the ice maker will over load sometimes and make 1 large block..LOL The old Whirlpool I took out is over 30 years old and still in use at the Cabin next door.

Edited by XCR1250

2 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

My Whirlpool Fridge is going on 12 years, no issues at all except the ice maker will over load sometimes and make 1 large block..LOL The old Whirlpool I took is over 30 years old and still in use at the Cabin next door.

Well your 12 yr old fridge has been a good one then. 

And your 30 yr old was built better than the shitboxes now. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Edmo said:

I like the Samsung TVs. Also have a Samsung dishwasher that’s been going at least 12 years. Cost a little more but well worth it.

:bc: 

I'm sticking to the TVs that run Android.  So much more flexibility.

15 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Hate to break it to you but we were lol ing about how many under 5 yr old samsung with touch screen there were on the scrap pile at the best buy wearhouse just last yr .

Fact is they are all total shit now even tve sub zero is shit now. China junk built to last less than 10 yrs . 

Spend as little as you can so you don't feel bad when you get home and the computer fucked up and kept the h20 flowing in to the ice tray and flooded your hardwood floor in the kitchen and now you get to get those sanded also (GE is famous for that one) I see 2 of those a yr and I am just a remodeling contractor cant imagine how many a repair guy will see . 

All shit with cheep computers that fail and cost more to fix than the pile of shit is worth .

Stacked ekectric ovens are another scam they constantly trash out the board running the touch screen on the top of the unit from overheating jenair is the worst for that shit 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Legend said:

Well your 12 yr old fridge has been a good one then. 

And your 30 yr old was built better than the shitboxes now. 

Electrolux makes Frigidaire home products, they also make Husqvarna, Jonsered, Poulan, Rally, Weed Eater, & American Yard Products.

Mine is a stainless steel Whirlpool and has been trouble free.

28 minutes ago, smokin george said:

We bought all new appliances when bought the house. The fridge started making some weird noise and we thought WTF. It turned out to be the ice maker which we never hooked up the hose to and the switch was on. 

just think if the h20 was on .

I dont use my icemaker ever but I do have a older fisher paykel dishwasher with the 2 drawers and the top drawer can be switched to ice maker for party's etc so I just make a bunch and full the dispencer in the freezer every so often .

Edited by Ez ryder

16 hours ago, Blackstar said:

i was going to say no samsung when i read the title.  the ice maker in the frige compartment seems to be an issue for a lot of these companies.  My samsungs been rebuilt 4 or 5 times now and I'll do it again right before warranty in January.  Coworker had issues with their kitchen aid and another with the LG so not sure there is a good one.  I have the counter depth fridge and it's small but I don't want it sticking out like a normal depth would.  

• Platinum Contributing Member

18 yrs ago I bought a GE for $2200. Thing was a POS since day one. When I remodeled this kitchen I waited untill sears had a sale . Bought a $1100 frigidare for for $850 and it has been flawless to this day.

• Thanks 1

As said already, the new energy star compliant units won’t last much more than 10 years. The mistake a lot of people make is to not clean the condenser. Especially if you have a hairy pet and/or woman in the house. Heat is the enemy. Keep it clean. 

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

Electrolux makes Frigidaire home products, they also make Husqvarna, Jonsered, Poulan, Rally, Weed Eater, & American Yard Products.

Mine is a stainless steel Whirlpool and has been trouble free.

I like whirlpool stuff. They seem to do a good job with engineering. 

My BIL new Samsung’s defrost tube keeps freezing up and clogging so the water trickles to the bottom of the inside of the fridge and floods. The tech says the tube drain is too close to the coldest part and there is no fix. Just thaw for a day and start it up again. It lasts a few months and does it again. He said most Samsung models do this.

Just a FYI all new ice makers make very little ice and the cubes are smaller. My 4 year old Bosch has been good so far but the 16 old Sears side by side that we moved to the basement makes a huge amount of ice and the cube tray comes out easy and holds at least a bag of cubes. 

Considering new then read all the reviews the more the better.

if your considering washers and dryers only buy Speed Queens. Top load washers only. They are simple and are used in laundry mats for a reason.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Mainecat

• Gold Member

3 years And 8 months on a GE cafe’ series.  No issues.  Longest lasting keurig I have ever had.  The refrigerator prolly brews 5-10 cups a day and hasn’t missed a beat.

Edited by BOHICA

9 hours ago, irv said:

Ran into Stevie today at the Parry Sound Sobeys parking lot, he was with little Stevie and his younger daughter.  He is doing well, but he no longer does appliance repair and has moved onto stainless repairs.  

• Like 1

Our Whirpool is the biggest piece of shit ever.  It's less than 5 years old and has a loud high-pitch whining that drives anyone who comes into the house absolutely crazy.  Light control panel is fried so only the top two lights illuminate when it's open.

Samsung on its way to replace it.  Doing away with the door mounted anything.  Ice maker in the freezer where it belongs, not in the door.

Edited by Matt